The Reason You Do Not See Many Swords From Japan

This is a tricky one that has confused me for awhile and a lot of other people. So for one thing, to export a sword from japan requires a special license or permit because it is taken as seriously as exporting a gun and is thus considered a weapon. The second reason is for a lot of ancient tradition that most authentic Japanese made swords by culture and custom will never leave japan, for the belief that the sword is a sacred thing and should not be exported outside japan. The last reason and the most obvious is even if you are able to find a forge master who has his permits in order to ship blades internationally out of Japan and is comfortable culturally to do this, it will be a hefty sum which is usually up into the thousands. Now this is not to say that there are not real Japanese swords and knives outside of Japan, they can just be hard to find and very pricey. This is just the information I have at this time and would like to hear from you guys as well.

Have you been getting your information from a Ouija board?

Take everything you said above with the exception of "they can be pricey" and wipe it from your hard drive or your head, whichever you use most.
Everything else you said is wrong, wrong and wrong!

Pretty sure you can just straight-up buy a Nihonto, no problems unless it's illegal in your country.

This is a tricky one that has confused me for awhile and a lot of other people. So for one thing, to export a sword from japan requires a special license or permit because it is taken as seriously as exporting a gun and is thus considered a weapon. The second reason is for a lot of ancient tradition that most authentic Japanese made swords by culture and custom will never leave japan, for the belief that the sword is a sacred thing and should not be exported outside japan. The last reason and the most obvious is even if you are able to find a forge master who has his permits in order to ship blades internationally out of Japan and is comfortable culturally to do this, it will be a hefty sum which is usually up into the thousands. Now this is not to say that there are not real Japanese swords and knives outside of Japan, they can just be hard to find and very pricey. This is just the information I have at this time and would like to hear from you guys as well.

They just aren’t being mass produced for the export market at firesale prices.

I know a fishing boat captain who just up n' bought a Japanese sword, straight out of Japan, no problems at all. He paid like 3800 usd for it. Then his dumbass friend took it and beat it into a huge tree and warped the blade!

I know a fishing boat captain who just up n' bought a Japanese sword, straight out of Japan, no problems at all. He paid like 3800 usd for it. Then his dumbass friend took it and beat it into a huge tree and warped the blade!
Should have bought a multi-alloy layered titanium sword.

Take everything you said above with the exception of "they can be pricey" and wipe it from your hard drive or your head, whichever you use most.
Apologies, I read a few things online about this and im not sure how accurate they may be.

Pretty sure you can just straight-up buy a Nihonto, no problems unless it's illegal in your country.
Out of certain forges I agree. But your not gonna be able to get your hands on Uesugi Kenshin's sword without some work.

I have been learning japanese for probably 6 months now and from what i have read about history is that samurai were burried with their sword as it is beleived their spirit is in the sword. so swords from japan do have some value in that aspect. ありがとうございます

That is some hardcore sadness right there.

Nothing you said is in that article. Maybe you should read it instead of looking at the photos and fantasizing.
Sounds to me like you are getting your information from anime or some other fantasy source.

"to export a sword from japan requires a special license or permit because it is taken as seriously as exporting a gun and is thus considered a weapon."
No, it doesn't say that anywhere in the article!
To own a sword in Japan or to import a sword INTO Japan it must have a torokusho (License).
To export the sword it must be submitted to the authorities where it is documented, license revoked and released for export.
If the sword is ever returned to Japan for any reason it must be relicensed.

"The second reason is for a lot of ancient tradition that most authentic Japanese made swords by culture and custom will never leave japan, for the belief that the sword is a sacred thing and should not be exported outside japan".
Where does it say that in the article? The only swords not allowed to leave Japan are National treasures.

"The last reason and the most obvious is even if you are able to find a forge master who has his permits in order to ship blades internationally out of Japan and is comfortable culturally to do this, it will be a hefty sum which is usually up into the thousands."
Again, not in your reference article! Modern Japanese sword smiths are like starving artist's, they are happy to sell their swords. It is their only source of income.
Additionally, they are only allowed by the government to make and sell a limited number of blades per month with the exception of kogatana.

"Now this is not to say that there are not real Japanese swords and knives outside of Japan, they can just be hard to find and very pricey."
This is the closest thing to truth you have said, and it is still incorrect. Nihonto or Japanese swords are not difficult to find or purchase, but they can be pricey.

As I stated previously, the only thing you got right is "They can be pricey".

I am not even going to go into the buried with their swords BS.

Wanna by a Japanese sword here is just one example of where you can buy one: http://yakiba.com/

Nothing you said is in that article. Maybe you should read it instead of looking at the photos and fantasizing.
Sounds to me like you are getting your information from anime or some other fantasy source.

"to export a sword from japan requires a special license or permit because it is taken as seriously as exporting a gun and is thus considered a weapon."
To own a sword in Japan or to import a sword INTO Japan it must have a torokusho (License).
To export the sword it must be submitted to the authorities where it is documented, license revoked and released for export.

"The second reason is for a lot of ancient tradition that most authentic Japanese made swords by culture and custom will never leave japan, for the belief that the sword is a sacred thing and should not be exported outside japan".
Where does it say that in the article? The only swords not allowed to leave Japan are National treasures.

"The last reason and the most obvious is even if you are able to find a forge master who has his permits in order to ship blades internationally out of Japan and is comfortable culturally to do this, it will be a hefty sum which is usually up into the thousands."
Again, not in your reference article! Modern Japanese sword smiths are like starving artist's, they are happy to sell their swords. It is their only source of income.
Additionally, they are only allowed by the government to make and sell a limited number of blades per month with the exception of kogatana.

"Now this is not to say that there are not real Japanese swords and knives outside of Japan, they can just be hard to find and very pricey."
This is the closest thing to truth you have said, and it is still incorrect. Nihonto or Japanese swords are not difficult to find or purchase, but they can be pricey.

Wanna by a Japanese sword here is just one example of where you can buy one: http://yakiba.com/

Exactly, they need to be verified by the government which is essentially a permit. it has to be documented and released for an export which is the same as moving a gun. Second yes national tresaures of samurai will never leave. They are happy to sell them and can if they have everything in order and can send it through to the government. And in culture and history they were buried with their swords. You seem a bit irate over this and im not quite sure why? Back to my point is that a 日本刀 can not be exported without having to have it verified by the government and while i do like anime that isnt were i get my sources.

For export or import of any kind, you need a torokusho for the sword. After obtaining one, you should approach the Agency for Cultural Affairs and request an export permit (Kobijutsuhin-yushutsu-kansa-shomei; 古美術品輸出監査証明) by submitting documents, especially the license and photos of the sword. export permit.

I have been learning japanese for probably 6 months now and from what i have read about history is that samurai were burried with their sword as it is beleived their spirit is in the sword. so swords from japan do have some value in that aspect. ありがとうございます

Swords were handed down through their families and such. They couldn't have been buried with their owners, because the bodies of fallen samurai were lifted into the heavens on a traditional Nekkikyū, or hot air balloons.

Swords were handed down through their families and such. They couldn't have been buried with their owners, because the bodies of fallen samurai were lifted into the heavens on a traditional Nekkikyū, or hot air balloons.
You know this forum really could use a moderator .

Back