The Reason You Do Not See Many Swords From Japan

"Everything you read on the internet is true."

--Abraham Lincoln

Swords were handed down through their families and such. They couldn't have been buried with their owners, because the bodies of fallen samurai were lifted into the heavens on a traditional Nekkikyū, or hot air balloons.
That is true, but what about in the case of a rounin with no family?

Because Mecha would like to be a moderator here .
Honestly I have had a good time here for the day I have been on it. The only person is SouthernComfort who seems to get a bit PO'd at me for reason and idrk why. Im new here and dont know all the ways around so to speak so all I asked of everyone is to please "Kindly" correct me so. I know I am probably wrong about alot of this stuff and im just sharing what i have learned. Like I said if im wrong on things please correct me. Thank you :)

No, no, not irate at all. I tend to come across that way at times as I am blunt, but not irate. It is just frustrating to see misinformation spread.

I may have misunderstood your meaning when you stated, “So for one thing, to export a sword from japan requires a special license or permit because it is taken as seriously as exporting a gun and is thus considered a weapon.”

To be clear, all swords are licensed when made, this is not something done solely for export, and this torokusho (license) must be with the sword at all times. When you buy a sword in Japan and plan to export it, it must be presented to the Prefectural post office where they de-license the sword and issue an export permit.

But the rest I stand by.

All Japanese swords are produced by smith’s licensed by the ministry of culture, and their swords are exported daily.
Again, the only swords not permitted to leave Japan are antique historically/culturally significant swords.
ALL others are fair game.

Unless you travel to Japan and have the connections to visit a sword smith personally, sales usually go through a middle man, who takes care of the payments and export paperwork.

There is nothing ”Culturally comfortable” about this. It is what they do in order to eat. It is the swords which are expensive, not the export.

My experience spans nearly thirty years dealing in antique Japanese swords or Nihonto 日本刀 and sword fittings or Tosogu 刀装具, including both import and export to and from Japan. I am a member of the NBTHK (Nippon Bijutsu Tōken Hozon Kyōkai 日本美術刀剣保 存協会Society for the preservation of the Japanese Art Sword) and have traveled throughout Japan.

I would like to reiterate by clarifying several things and add some basic information:

In order to legally own a sword in Japan it has to be registered in accordance with the Ju-tō-hō 銃 刀法 (Japanese Firearms and Sword Law). The certificate issued - Juhō-tōken-rui- tōrokushō 銃砲刀剣類登録証 (in short "Tōrokushō" 登録証) - has to stay with the sword at all times. Registration is done by the Education Board at a Tōroku-shinsa-kaijō 登録審査 会場 (sword evaluation meeting), which usually takes place once a month. The judges conducting the Shinsa are sword experts contracted by the Education Board, usually senior members of the local NBTHK branch (Nippon Bijutsu Tōken Hozon Kyōkai 日本美術刀剣保 存協会 = Society for the preservation of the Japanese Art Sword).

Japanese swords, Nihontō can be freely imported into, and exported from Japan if all procedures are carried out according to the law. However, there is one notable exception:

In 1950 the Bunkazai-hogo-hō 文化財保護法 took effect, in which important artwork of exemplary artistic and historic significance can be designated as Jūyō-Bunkazai 重要文化財 ("important cultural property") and Kokuhō 国宝 ("national treasure"). At present ca. 900 swords are designated Jūyō-Bunkazai, and out of those 122 are Kokuhō. Although anyone - including non-Japanese - may own one of these items item, it must remain in Japan under penalty of law.

No, no, not irate at all. I tend to come across that way at times as I am blunt, but not irate. It is just frustrating to see misinformation spread.

I may have misunderstood your meaning when you stated, “So for one thing, to export a sword from japan requires a special license or permit because it is taken as seriously as exporting a gun and is thus considered a weapon.”

To be clear, all swords are licensed when made, this is not something done solely for export, and this torokusho (license) must be with the sword at all times. When you buy a sword in Japan and plan to export it, it must be presented to the Prefectural post office where they de-license the sword and issue an export permit.

But the rest I stand by.

All Japanese swords are produced by smith’s licensed by the ministry of culture, and their swords are exported daily.
Again, the only swords not permitted to leave Japan are antique historically/culturally significant swords.

Unless you travel to Japan and have the connections to visit a sword smith personally, sales usually go through a middle man, who takes care of the payments and export paperwork.

There is nothing ”Culturally comfortable” about this. It is what they do in order to eat. It is the swords which are expensive, not the export.

My experience spans nearly thirty years dealing in antique Japanese swords or Nihonto 日本刀 and sword fittings or Tosogu 刀装具, including both import and export to and from Japan. I am a member of the NBTHK (Nippon Bijutsu Tōken Hozon Kyōkai 日本美術刀剣保 存協会Society for the preservation of the Japanese Art Sword) and have traveled throughout Japan.

I would like to reiterate by clarifying several things and add some basic information:

In order to legally own a sword in Japan it has to be registered in accordance with the Ju-tō-hō 銃 刀法 (Japanese Firearms and Sword Law). The certificate issued - Juhō-tōken-rui- tōrokushō 銃砲刀剣類登録証 (in short "Tōrokushō" 登録証) - has to stay with the sword at all times. Registration is done by the Education Board at a Tōroku-shinsa-kaijō 登録審査 会場 (sword evaluation meeting), which usually takes place once a month. The judges conducting the Shinsa are sword experts contracted by the Education Board, usually senior members of the local NBTHK branch (Nippon Bijutsu Tōken Hozon Kyōkai 日本美術刀剣保 存協会 = Society for the preservation of the Japanese Art Sword).

Japanese swords, Nihontō can be freely imported into, and exported from Japan if all procedures are carried out according to the law. However, there is one notable exception:

In 1950 the Bunkazai-hogo-hō 文化財保護法 took effect, in which important artwork of exemplary artistic and historic significance can be designated as Jūyō-Bunkazai 重要文化財 ("important cultural property") and Kokuhō 国宝 ("national treasure"). At present ca. 900 swords are designated Jūyō-Bunkazai, and out of those 122 are Kokuhō. Although anyone - including non-Japanese - may own one of these items item, it must remain in Japan under penalty of law.
Much appreciated and I appreciate all the knowledge :) like I said im only 16 and am an aspiring japanese learner and i love the sword smithing aswell :) lol. My only point was that it is a bit more work in japan to get swords than it is in the usa were we fill out a forum and its shipped to us. Are swords licensed here? I would actually appreciate more advice and such from you :) can you speak japanese?

But the rest I stand by.

I will be going to japan in a few years probably around 19.

But the rest I stand by.

I apologize if i came across harshly. I might check out some japanese swords to see what i could afford.

But the rest I stand by.

If I am wrong in the future feel free to correct me :) So is japan a fun country to visit

But the rest I stand by.

How very dare you ruin the interwebz with facts and empirical data collected in the field!
:p

Back