The redundancy of a deep carry pocket clip

Aside from making the knife itself less visible, you could still see the clip, so what benifit is there to gain from this, aside from personal preference?

Well on high riding knives I’ve gotten them hung and pulled out of my pocket before. Deep carry isn’t my favorite I like the Standard Hinderer clip the most. Perfect carry depth and gives a good spot to pull out with your index and thumb. I usually will replace any knife I have that I’m going to keep with a deep carry clip if it doesn’t have one. Probably should order one for the Smock in advance since I hate the regular Spyderco clip

If you don't see the butt end of the knife, then that clip could be for anything else. Pens, flashlights...."beepers". :rolleyes:
That's the only reason I use it for office carry (business casual). It looks like a pen clip.

Otherwise, I can't stand them and don't have them on my out of work knives. They're harder to get out of the pocket.

A knife is a whole lot more noticeable than a clip, particularly if the clip is discreet and a similar color to your pants. I don't particularly care for deep carry clips, but I definitely think they draw less attention.

I like pocket clips in general cuz it keeps my knife out of the bottom of my pocket where other stuff resides like pocket lint, lighter, matches, lint balls, paper?, hands, money...did I mention lint? I remember a time when if you wanted your knife out of your pocket, you needed a sheath/pouch. I rocked a 110, a Gerber multi-tool & flashlight at the same time like that for years.

As for deep carry pocket clips? I like a little purchase on my knife when deploying it. Pinching knife & clip at the same time tightens the "grip of tha clip" & I get "premature" pocket wear.

It depends on the knife, really. There are some knives that sit way higher than they should. Without a deep carry option it can almost ruin a knife. Look at Spyderco’s Brouwer. Because of the clip placement, it’ll have a full inch, probably more, out at all times. I’d hate that.

I tend to prefer more retention than most deep carry clips can offer, but I don’t think they’re redundant. Not by a long shot.

I think to the average person on the street or workplace the clip is probably thought to be a pen, if it is even noticed. Even the butt end of a knife may not he recognized for what it is by many. Knife people like us though instantly notice a clip and can likely even identify what type of knife it is just from that.

That's the only reason I use it for office carry (business casual). It looks like a pen clip.

Otherwise, I can't stand them and don't have them on my out of work knives. They're harder to get out of the pocket.

Honestly getting a deep carry out of my pocket vs a standard carry is only so extremely slightly more difficult I can hardly fault it. Dipping my thumb a tiny bit into my pocket to get a fully below the pocket line knife is hardly a challenge. I don’t even have to do that if I don’t want to.

Rather I can just hook my finger under the lip of the ramp of the clip and pull the knife into my awaiting hand. Actually for my Hinderer which has a very tight clip this is the best way to draw it.

Ok all that said for certain special role self defense folders like a Spyderco Pikal or Cqc7 where a good grip can be life or death, a deep carry clip is definitely not ideal.

Now maybe if you carry IWB w/ the deep pocket clip. That's just ninja.

I hope people don't really think others think a knife clip is anything but.
Why wouldn't they?
dBlwUG4.jpg

O5J7iWv.jpg

Obviously not a pen and for anyone with any sense whatsoever would know it's a knife. But hey, if it relaxes you BELIEVING it looks like a pen, that's your choice.

You may be overestimating how astute people are to the things they don't know about nor have an interest in.

A couple months back, I went to a major sporting event where the venue did not allow weapons. Guns, knives, missile launchers, stun guns... you get it. You had to empty your pockets and put the contents in a little tray as you walk past the metal detector. The nice lady working it thought that my Surefire Backup was a knife or something until I showed her it was a flashlight. She looked to her supervisor and he basically said it's not prohibited it's all good.

A year or so back I was at a different sporting event at a different venue with the same rules. The gentleman patting me down saw the clip to the pen in my pocket and thought it was a knife at first until I showed it to him. Ironically, I forgot that I had my Leatherman Squirt in a tiny little pocket and walked in with it. Didn't realize it till I was getting a beer.

I think those people had sense, they just didn't know what they didn't know.

Hello. I want to play a game. Guess the knife clip.
rDQRncq.jpg
I guess if you carry all of those items with those clips hanging out of your pocket with the tops covered like in the picture, then it becomes a little more difficult to specify. Some people carry that much stuff and never raise their arms or bend over or otherwise expose the top to sight. That being the case, then sure, i guess a deep carry clip would be feasible.

Back