The redundancy of a deep carry pocket clip

I hate deep carry clips. I got a 550-1 and changed the clip for a regular Benchmade clip. It’s just more of a hassle to get out. It really doesn’t bother me if people know I’m carrying a knife. It gives me the chance to explain to them how carrying a knife is convenient and safe.

Even better than a deep carry clip is just carrying a knife down in your pocket without any clip. That was the way I grew up and it's no problem now.

What they don't see won't hurt em. At the job I have now, my knives are very rarely seen, and only used in front of people who I know won't care.

The only folks that pay attention to clips are cops and knife knuts. I was in a store and a cop noticed my heavy duty belt for handgun carry.... they are paid to notice stuff. Knife clips.... like 'em or don't. You're choice. No big thing.

I prefer standard clips like spyderco’s hourglass. However, on weeks where I’m looking business professional, I install the blue titanium Lynch clip. One of the only deep carry options I’ve ever liked.

Yeah it seems the world is going to s*** and all the pansys are in charge. At least in the manufacturing business. :-/ the way I see it, if you need to cut things on a daily basis to do your job, why not be allowed to carry a slim pocket knife of your choice???...it’s not like you’re bringing a gun into work, or have bad intentions with a knife. THAT is why I like a deep carry clip... less questions, less suspicion that your some kind of criminal....less aggravation. so long as you can get the job done!....then nobody asks
Businesses don't ban knives because they're working about workers going postal, they do it because they're worried about idiots slicing themselves open on the job and jacking up their workers comp insurance.

Even better than a deep carry clip is just carrying a knife down in your pocket without any clip. That was the way I grew up and it's no problem now.

What they don't see won't hurt em. At the job I have now, my knives are very rarely seen, and only used in front of people who I know won't care.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Businesses don't ban knives because they're working about workers going postal, they do it because they're worried about idiots slicing themselves open on the job and jacking up their workers comp insurance.
If an accident happens on the business property, they are usually technically responsible.

This is generally true (workman's comp) unless their insurance company insists as part of their policy/terms.

If an accident happens on the business property, they are usually technically responsible.

This is generally true (workman's comp) unless their insurance company insists as part of their policy/terms.
Yup. That's the reason so many don't want you carrying a knife. Nothing to do with weapon bans.

I like deep carry, but I'm not a stickler about it. I just don't care for knives where a huge portion of the knife is visible, like the Para 3. That's probably one of the few knives I'll only carry with a deep carry clip.

If I might offer something different to consider. As a slim girl with a reasonable tomboy fashion sense I am often found in slimmer jeans and tailor my clip type to where the knife stays while sitting. A deep carry sits lower so bending/squatting doesn't jab the top of the knife into me as much as say the height of a traditional clip.

8eruWkKh.jpg

jyU1CNXh.jpg

NJmRCAmh.jpg

Wallet and knife can comfortably coexist in one pocket and deep carry just speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Aside from making the knife itself less visible, you could still see the clip, so what benifit is there to gain from this, aside from personal preference?
I'll just start right off by stating I haven't read anything but the original post, so what follows might have already been stated - perhaps more eloquently and thoroughly.

The purpose of a deep carry clip is, primarily, to reduce the overall profile of the item you are carrying. A clip is one thing - it is somewhat notable, but perhaps only if you are looking for it. A bit of handle, however, tells the observer quite a bit more - there is no doubt; it is the unmistakable profile of a knife.

To hobbyists, seeing a knife in semi-concealment is nothing untoward, but the vast majority of the populace sees a folding knife as a potential weapon - which means that visibly carrying one can be grossly misinterpreted as a kind of indirect threat or assertion of power.

While many carry a knife for the purpose of addressing everyday tasks - like the vast majority of us on this forum - the day-to-day citizenry of the world typically see little justification for carrying anything beyond a swiss army knife as justifiable preparation for such tasks. It's a frustrating truth that carrying anything beyond what might be the absolute minimum is easily misconstrued as having some sort of untoward intent.

While most of us here understand that nobody is going to drop $100+ on a knife that they intend to use for an injurious activity towards another human being, the popular perception of knives is overwhelmingly negative; people don't see them as cutting tools - they see them as weapons. So, for hobbyists and general folk that carry folding knives, discretion is valued. Deep carry has a function of a sort of social plausible deniability. Minimizing immediate visibility has real value when the alternative is answering the question "why do you have a knife?" - to which, any answer can seem defensive or suspicious.

Last edited:
In Oregon, where knife laws are interpreted in many instances by case law rather than statute, the case law says a knife with a blade 4.75" carried in the pocket is NOT "concealed" -- But a knife with a 6" blade carried in the pocket IS considered "concealed." Somewhere in the holdings between these two cases there's a line between what's lawfully concealed and what is not.

Oregon case law further holds that knives clipped to the exterior of the pocket are NOT considered "concealed" even if the knife runs all the way down your leg and into your boot. This holding applies even if/when the knife is covered by a shirt or jacket, even if no portion of the knife itself is visible. This is Oregon's "Mackinaw Law" and also applies to handguns in a holster carried on the belt. Being covered with a jacket doesn't make the gun or knife legally "concealed." If the knife is clipped to the pocket it's not concealed.

Like a lot of Oregon gun/knife law, these holdings are subject to "discretion." If you're behaving yourself, you're fine. "Being a jerk" with a gun or a knife affords the LEO some considerable discretion -- "disorderly conduct" "menacing" "harassment" etc. etc.

Bottom line here is: The clip on the pocket makes the knife "not concealed" -- even when no part of the knife is visible.

It really comes down to personal preference.

Benchmade's slim 531 becomes a thing of beauty when the OEM split arrow clip is replaced with a deep carry clip. It offers better retention and a lower profile in your pocket. What's not to like?

Some other knives just don't lend themselves to deep clips. For me, the full size Griptilian comes to mind. So does BM's Volli.

Clips are just a mater of preference, for me it's a mater of comfort. When using a knife, I prefer comfort. I tend to perfer smaller knives 3 7/8" to 4 1/4", at that length a deep carry clip rides right on the inside of my knuckle. It's a hot spot I don't like, so I'll replace the deep clip for a standard clip.
Replaced the deep clip on this Bugout
EGZXj3h.jpg

On a longer knife Rat 1 for instance I could care less about the clip. It's a sheath knife and the clip is just a finger pearch when opening and closing.

I

Im so glad my job...at an airport no less allows us to carry a knife.

Back