The Sunday Picture Show (November 21, 2021)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
1024 Sunday Picture Show label.jpg
Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. Above all, enjoy the show. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

On this Day...November 21, 1789 North Carolina ratifies the Constitution and becomes the 12th US state.
Oh wow, guess what... I have a North Carolina themed Buck knife with an interesting story.

In 1799, 12-year-old Conrad Reed discovered a 17-pound gold nugget in a creek while fishing. It was used as a doorstop for three years until Conrad’s father, John Reed, sold the nugget for $3.50 without realizing its value, estimated today to actually have been about $3,500. This started the nation’s first gold rush 50 years before the one in California.

This Buck knife commemorates the 200th Anniversary of the Discovery of Gold in North Carolina. It was a very small issue of only 101 knives and is serialized. The handle is described as Heritage Walnut. It is documented on the 1997 SP list and in the May 98 BCCI Newsletter.

I did a Google fact check.
"The first documented occurrence of gold was in Virginia in 1782. Some minor gold production took place in North Carolina as early as 1793" Wiki
That said, the Reed discovery did start a gold rush and marks the beginning of commercial gold mining.

916.First.Gold.051913  (1).JPG916.First.Gold.051913  (2).JPG

Last edited:
Greetings,
1637470737939.jpeg
CnISUdA.jpg

A second knife to help jump start this weeks show. While photographing the 916 above I found this 112 on a side table under some papers, loose, no box or sheath. I officially have too many knives because I can't remember a thing about this knife and couldn't find it in my database. If you can believe TV commercials I need to start taking Prevagin. It is a really striking knife and can't believe it is drawing a blank.

112.Custom 001.JPG112.Custom 002.JPG

Last edited:
A second knife to help jump start this weeks show. While photographing the 916 above I found this 112 on a side table under some papers, loose, no box or sheath. I officially have too many knives because I can't remember a thing about this knife and coundn't find it in my database. If you can believe TV commercials I need to start taking Prevagin. It is a really striking knife and can't believe it is drawing a blank.

View attachment 1686082View attachment 1686081
I like that knife. Interesting combination of materials. Someone put some work into it.

A second knife to help jump start this weeks show. While photographing the 916 above I found this 112 on a side table under some papers, loose, no box or sheath. I officially have too many knives because I can't remember a thing about this knife and couldn't find it in my database. If you can believe TV commercials I need to start taking Prevagin. It is a really striking knife and can't believe it is drawing a blank.

View attachment 1686082View attachment 1686081
cool knife, be glad ya found it. shame if something that nice stayed missing.

The Buck 301 at the bottom of this pic was found in the Bay in 2005. It started a knife rush of 300 series knives around my house. Here are some of the best results of that rush. One, two, and three blade 301s... all like gold to me... almost. ;)
s5ZMR1d.jpg

Thank you DeSotoSky DeSotoSky for hosting this excellent thread once again today, hope everyone has a golden Sunday!

Roger, thank you, for again starting the Sunday Picture Show with another interesting, informative bit of history. Thanks to all who post photos and comment.

Since I have nothing that relates to North Carolina or gold nuggets I'm digging deep here...A Buck 101 to relate to the 101 knives like yours produced to commemorate the event.

This 101's handle was done by member K kossetx .
2EIVJuz.jpg

Last edited:
Back