The tree has to go

Since you're taking some time to mull this over, thought I'd throw my $.02 in also. Get rid of the trunk of your tree, thus making it a bush. Use your name as the ground line and maybe throw in a few scraggly roots below. But when all is said and done, folks want your knives because of the quality workmanship not the logo.

You were approached by Boker's group at the show, but you have not had a formal legal letter or any real legal threat other than a few words and perhaps the eye brow. I would not take any of it seriously at this point. I would thumb my nose at them and move on. You mentioned how much you like your maker's mark, and if that is the case it is well worth defending. I doubt it will go to court, but if it does I think you have a decent chance of winning as both trees are different. Life has its battles and these form scars that define one's character and personality, don't lie down and give in so easily. In the end your maker's mark will be that much more. Chin up and forge forward.

Gary they have a trademark on "bushes" too I've checked :mad:
Their trademark has trees and bushes pretty well covered. I know I can still use my logo until I get a formal notice in the mail, but I see no reason to poke an angry bear with a stick.
No offense guys, but it's easy to say fight it when your not the one in my position. As I said earlier it's not worth the time, headache, and definitely not the money.

I hear ya' Jarrett. I too want to see you WIN but ultimately the winner is the one who lives happily. Do whatever makes you wake up and enjoy the day you've been given.

Regarding your new maker's mark idea I want to throw you my $.02 as well. Your current mark is really good. I would love to see you not draw anything truly new and just flip your existing logo upside down, flatten the existing small roots into a short stump and move you name to the new top to represent a "ground line". Making the actual logo they took from you into "roots" would alleviate any legal concerns and make a good statement. This way your family farm oak tree isn't really gone also. Plus you simultaneously oblige their request and thumb your nose at them (which needs to happen in some way IMO..I'd be more apt to jesture with a finger, but that's beside the point). If you made an upside-down mark I personally would make a point to flip it over when I look at it just out of principal. ;)

No matter what you come up with, I plan to buy some from you. If you flip you mark upside down, it will be fun to share the "root" of the mark story with people. If the tree isn't completely gone people will be able to say "oh, I see what he did there" when I share the story, which makes it a better conversation piece.

Have fun with this and if you start to see it as an opportunity, it's likely to become one. :)

If it were me, I would change the mark and then share this story one time on every social media site I frequent.
In the end they have created the loss in customer base that they thought they were preventing.

You could do something like "Fleming Oak by JFK"

Roemer the name of one of our farms is actually "Oakbend". When I first got into making knives I considered using that as my company name, but after listening to several people's advice I ultimately decided to just go with my name.

Hey Jarrett,
If they didn't give it to you in writing it's just some salesreps opinion and meaningless. They'd have formal steps they'd have to take to make you cease and desist.

Maybe a Pinetree or a Cedar. Such a shame, your logo is awesome Jarrett. Makes me a little sad.

How about a limited run of the tree chopped down laying on its side, that'd be truly collectable!! Then going forward just the stump & the roots.

Hey Jarrett. Unfortunately, I only own one of your knives. Just got it two weeks ago. I really like it. It seems you are inundated with suggestions, so I will not add to it. Just sending best wishes. Keep trucking and making great knives with a smile on your face.

... oh yeah, and screw 'em!

Your product speaks for itself weather a tree is present or not. As an artist it is you & perhaps your family who could, & most likely would, suffer if you decided to "fight" Broker in any way. Do what is best for you & yours & continue making great knives for the masses. Good luck with all your endeavours.

As circumstances have dictated I sell off many of my knives, I was actually considering selling the custom skinner that you made for me. Then I read this thread. Now it will go to my grave with me.

And I will never purchase another Boker knife. They make some decent blades, but they just soured me forever.

I say you wait until inspiration strikes, and develop a new logo … or not.

All the best to you, my friend.

I am a bit late in this conversation, and I know it would be politically incorrect but......
I would like a knife with the CSA Battle Flag. Maybe the "old" Georgia flag. You are, after all, in GA aren't you?

I'll bet it will a positive factor to MANY more of us than a turn off to those Hate Group folks that hate our heritage and our flag.
I have seen the Stars and Bars proudly flying in several non Southern states!!

I would buy them just for the flag, but I am a Rebel at heart!

WOW! This would be a kick a** idea! I would definitely be in for one too. I am sure t is quite a bit of a pain to change the etching program on the blade though.

I am a bit late in this conversation, and I know it would be politically incorrect but......
I would like a knife with the CSA Battle Flag. Maybe the "old" Georgia flag. You are, after all, in GA aren't you?

I'll bet it will a positive factor to MANY more of us than a turn off to those Hate Group folks that hate our heritage and our flag.
I have seen the Stars and Bars proudly flying in several non Southern states!!

I would buy them just for the flag, but I am a Rebel at heart!

I am just now seeing this. Thanks for letting us know even though I am six months late. I will never give a dime to Boker. ( I haven't bought anything from them anyway).

Back