The *Unofficial* Fiddleback maintenence, care, optimization, and improvement thread!

A fantastic series of sharpening videos courtesy of Knives Ship Free (these are HIGHLY recommended; also be sure to check out KSF for all of your essential sharpening supplies!)

(4/4)

[video=youtube_share;K9GsjkyqZ4k]http://youtu.be/K9GsjkyqZ4k[/video]

[video=youtube_share;ZcdSxQ4nrWk]http://youtu.be/ZcdSxQ4nrWk[/video]

Last edited:
An awesome Fletcher Knives Sharpening video & DIY FAQ on creating your own sharpener (from the Fletcher knives subforum -- check it out!

[video=youtube_share;NNxPqIEpRsc]http://youtu.be/NNxPqIEpRsc [/video]

Last edited:
Great Sharpening videos from Iz Turley of Turley knives!

[video=youtube;8qlM2JDJkQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlM2JDJkQY[/video]

[video=youtube;2j0wNu4BpYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j0wNu4BpYg[/video]

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;ZcdSxQ4nrWk]http://youtu.be/ZcdSxQ4nrWk[/video]

Cool video, I highly recommend cleaning the compound away from your blade between compounds. Once that 12,000 grit side of the leather gets contaminated with any other compound, it completely changes it to a combination of both; not good. Use a towel or your Levi's. Just make sure you check all parts of the blade: spine, flats, bevel etc for compound remnants before moving on to the next grit. This will help to insure that you're polishing and not toothing.

Cool video, I highly recommend cleaning the compound away from your blade between compounds. Once that 12,000 grit side of the leather gets contaminated with the any other compound, it completely changes it to a combination of both; not good. Use a towel or your Levi's. Just make sure you check all parts of the blade: spine, flats, bevel etc for compound remnants before moving on to the next grit. This will help to insure that you're polishing and not toothing.

+1 great recommendation Duder!

Thanks Will for all the great information. The sharpening section is looking good. Thanks for all the videos, they're really helpful. When I first got started I learned a lot from the Turley (he has some more if you look around in his channel) vids and from the KSF. Lots of detail in there.

I am by no means an expert and have a lot to learn and a lot of room to grow in my technique but I'll share some of what I've learned along the way if that's OK. I'll second what you've said about practice, practice, practice and that getting a beater knife is the way to go. Better to learn on something you don't mind trashing.

For convex, I use the sandpaper on mousepad method and rely a lot on the sharpie and a jeweler's loupe to make sure I'm getting the edge good. Putting the sandpaper on the strop is another way to handle those convex. Since Fiddlebacks have a secondary bevel (unless it's been removed), the Turley vid is a great reference for finding the right angle and giving good visual clues as to what you're looking for.

For scandi, you want to maintain the flat bevel and therefore you need a flat, solid base for the sandpaper. I picked up a $5 granite tile at Lowes and put the sandpaper on it. I use one of those rubbery drawer liners underneath the granite to keep it from sliding around on the workbench. Plate glass would also work.

P1060524_zps077d2074.png~original

P1060520_zpsbcb05a5e.png~original

I've found that true zero grind scandi edges can be a little brittle. So I put a very fine micro bevel on with a strop or with the Sharpmaker. I've found this really toughens them up. Hopefully I haven't offended any purists.

Here's an example of a scandi edge with some micro chips. Don't freak out. If you're using this knife for carving wood, you're not going to notice and they will come out easily. You'd notice them if you're slicing paper as it will catch on the chips, but normal usage it'll be fine until you can clean it up.

P1050984_zps3c8e13b9.png~original

All better:

P1050987_zpsbaf71365.png~original

Thanks again Will. You've put together a great resource that should make it's way to a sticky.

Outstanding addition Nathan!! Thank you for this contribution!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Essential reading for you scandi fans out there!!

Great write up, pics and links WJT, thanks for taking the time to do this!

Also a great addition Thurin :thumbup:

Do you guys have some tips on how to load a strop with the compound perhaps? I have one that came pre-loaded but the green side looks like it may need a touch up after a year of almost daily use. I tried powdering some of the compound and then melt it on the strop with a torch but it doesn't really melt like I expected it would. I think I should use less heat and heat it a bit longer but I'm curious how you guys do it.

And how do you stop the sandpaper from gliding across the mouse-mat (double sided tape..?)?

Using the Wicked Edge system: did you edit that out?

Thanks for all the great information and taking the time to post.

Great write up, pics and links WJT, thanks for taking the time to do this!

Also a great addition Thurin :thumbup:

Do you guys have some tips on how to load a strop with the compound perhaps? I have one that came pre-loaded but the green side looks like it may need a touch up after a year of almost daily use. I tried powdering some of the compound and then melt it on the strop with a torch but it doesn't really melt like I expected it would. I think I should use less heat and heat it a bit longer but I'm curious how you guys do it.

And how do you stop the sandpaper from gliding across the mouse-mat (double sided tape..?)?

Thanks GB.

I've been using a Stropman strop lately with his compound. I just color it in like using a crayon. I'll warm it up a bit with a hair dryer and even just my hands.

re: the sandpaper on the mousepad, I just hold it with my other hand. Not the greatest solution as it leads to some contortion when switching directions. The double sided tape might work.

Great Thread!! The KSF tutorials on stropping were my first introduction to convex edge sharpening and nailed it for me. I also learnt a great deal from watching the numerous Murray Carter videos on Youtube on the use of Japanese Waterstones - I freehand this way to maintain/enhance the microlevel on my Fiddlebacks, using a strop to keep the edge keen. I'm scared to look at my edges under a magnifying lens but they seem to do the trick without altering the geometry too much!

Any thoughts on the Worksharp/Ken Onion edition for maintaining a microbevel (convex I guess)?

Jules

Great Thread!! The KSF tutorials on stropping were my first introduction to convex edge sharpening and nailed it for me. I also learnt a great deal from watching the numerous Murray Carter videos on Youtube on the use of Japanese Waterstones - I freehand this way to maintain/enhance the microlevel on my Fiddlebacks, using a strop to keep the edge keen. I'm scared to look at my edges under a magnifying lens but they seem to do the trick without altering the geometry too much!

Any thoughts on the Worksharp/Ken Onion edition for maintaining a microbevel (convex I guess)?

Jules

Hey Jules, good to see your post. A big thanks go out to Will for the thread and to the other contributors. I also am a student of Murray, and I have several of his knives. One thing I will point out that Murray teaches is that the blade must be thinned at each sharpening (he calls this the secondary bevel and the cutting edge the primary bevel). I agree 100% with this philosophy, as it is the only way to maintain a usable cutting edge geometry over the life of the blade. If you do not do this, the cutting bevel gets wider and wider as it moves into thicker portions of the blade. However, this presents a particular problem with Andy's knives because of the convex grind. You cannot use a stone to accomplish this. If you want to thin the blade at sharpening, you would have to use sand paper and a mouse pad.

Regarding the WEPS, I use this tool quite a bit to put both V and convex cutting bevels on knives. It is very pricy, but it does work very well. I often just use V bevels as I don't find myself doing that much bushcraft work now a days. I will also free hand sharpen knives on synthetic Japanese water stones. My kitchen knives (a few of Murray's) are always sharpened this way.

Andy should start contracting Will out for those spa treatments! Great stuff man!

Thanks GB.

I've been using a Stropman strop lately with his compound. I just color it in like using a crayon. I'll warm it up a bit with a hair dryer and even just my hands.

re: the sandpaper on the mousepad, I just hold it with my other hand. Not the greatest solution as it leads to some contortion when switching directions. The double sided tape might work.

Woops, sorry for the late reply,I haven't been to active online lately.

But it sounds like have a different way of sharpening; I usually have one hand on the knife handle and the other one on the blade, there's no way I'd keep the blade level the entire stroke with just one hand. Sounds like I need more practice :rolleyes:

I'll try your way of colouring in the worn spots on my strop, sounds a lot less messy then the way I tried it, thanks :thumbup:

This isn't a technique tip but a "gear" recommendation. I just picked up a FLEXXX strop from Whitty (USA Made Blade) and these things are really nice. I have multiple strops and this is the best I've used. I can't stop stropping!

This is the Field Strop ll.
IMG_20150208_105314_595-1_zpskstw6eiw.jpg

Back