The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Elgatodeacero

Gold Member
SECOND EDIT:

It is happening..... ORDER HERE

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bf2020-away-we-go.1743578/

EDIT: Please go to this thread to commit to a BF2020 knife.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bf2020-knife-count.1741605/

———————-

Someone needed to create a thread to avoid clogging up other threads, so I am using all my formidable privileges as a gold member to start this thread.

Please keep in mind there may not be another forum knife. There may be another forum knife but not in 2020. Just because everyone loves forum knives, and wants forum knives, doesn’t mean we deserve them, and deserves usually got nothing to do with it.

I believe the forum knife concept has two main components.

1) the knife itself and 2) the backend process.

I will suggest as one forum knife possibility something a bit unorthodox..... a Mora with special handle and/or special steel. A Mora Garberg, an Eldris, maybe even a special Companion. And at least ten dots or stars on the tang.

As for backend process, I would like to see the forum and the dealer that takes on this chore both see an easing of their burdens moving forward. I like the idea of the forum and the dealer each receiving 5 dollars per knife (the forum to help with expenses and the dealer for the time involved). A flat, transparent fee seems like a fair way to make this less burdensome. We as members get entertainment and a great knife from the process, but we should think about giving back also. I would also support a per knife fee being collected for a charity of good repute.

Anyone else have any opinions?.......!

Last edited:
I would be happy to see the dealer/distributor of a forum knife receive compensation for their efforts, but that has to be agreed to by the owner of Bladeforums, who has in the past ruled that the forum knife must be non-profit.

Every year, there is some discussion of a small fixed blade (a leather stacked bird & trout would be cool) but just like with certain locking knives, some members live in places with restrictions on carrying such knives. We have always decided it is important that our international membership be able to participate and enjoy the knife.

It is fun to discuss what we want in an unofficial non binding possibility discussion so I'll say this:
Last year we got a large, single blade knife. Just for the contrast I propose a small knife like a Peanut with a secondary blade. If that secondary blade is a punch/awl, all the better.
Vote PunchNut for 2020!!!

I would be happy to see the dealer/distributor of a forum knife receive compensation for their efforts, but that has to be agreed to by the owner of Bladeforums, who has in the past ruled that the forum knife must be non-profit.

Every year, there is some discussion of a small fixed blade (a leather stacked bird & trout would be cool) but just like with certain locking knives, some members live in places with restrictions on carrying such knives. We have always decided it is important that our international membership be able to participate and enjoy the knife.

It is fun to discuss what we want in an unofficial non binding possibility discussion so I'll say this:
Last year we got a large, single blade knife. Just for the contrast I propose a small knife like a Peanut with a secondary blade. If that secondary blade is a punch/awl, all the better.
Vote PunchNut for 2020!!!
Rachel, as always, makes good points. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I, as seldom, agree with her points completely. :thumbsup:;)
Just a minor point of clarification: when Rachel wrote her (bolded) proposal, I'm sure her intended meaning was "mini canoe". :)

- GT

Buy a few hundred Case knives (if enuf can agree on one... or more types even fixed blade for that matter... ROFL) and have one of the hot shot knife engravers or etchers (probably cheaper) do the blade forums a special design and voila!!! Quick easy ROFL!!

I stated interest in having a Sheffield produced knife last time. I however do not know the feasibility of such an endeavor. I suspect allot of the burden would fall upon @Jack Black to make it happen. It would also need to NOT be a lambsfoot as to not detract from the guardians knife. Maybe a "rabbit knife" pattern? Also if a Sheffield cutler is chosen they would need to hold to the standards of Jacks hartshead barlow,which as I understand it took quite allot of ground work by Jack to achieve.

I stated interest in having a Sheffield produced knife last time. I however do not know the feasibility of such an endeavor. I suspect allot of the burden would fall upon @Jack Black to make it happen. It would also need to NOT be a lambsfoot as to not detract from the guardians knife. Maybe a "rabbit knife" pattern? Also if a Sheffield cutler is chosen they would need to hold to the standards of Jacks hartshead barlow,which as I understand it took quite allot of ground work by Jack to achieve.
Good to see you mate, have not seen you around for a while, all the best for the New Year.
K55OCJX.jpg

Presuming it is not a fixed blade, I would like to see something with at least two complementary blades.
Perhaps a clip point and a drop point, both blades the same length, hinged at each end, and at least 4 inches (or longer) closed.
Wait … hold on … that sounds like a moose or classic 2 blade folding hunter pattern … Never mind. I know that any forum knife is unlikely to be a moose or 2 blade folding hunter pattern.

I'll shut up and go away. Sorry. :(

Last edited:
Good to see you mate, have not seen you around for a while, all the best for the New Year.
K55OCJX.jpg
I've been around a bit, check in often but haven't been posting quite as much. Hope you and yours are doing well and a good new year to you in return. Thanks for the pic,who knows maybe it can happen:thumbsup:

Presuming it is not a fixed blade, I would like to see something with at least two complementary blades.
Perhaps a clip point and a drop point, both blades the same length, hinged at each end, and at least 4 inches (or longer) closed.
Wait … hold on … that sounds like a moose pattern … Never mind. I know that any forum knife is unlikely to be a moose pattern.

I like the idea of a good symmetrical moose pattern as well.

Wait … hold on … that sounds like a moose pattern … Never mind. I know that any forum knife is unlikely to be a moose pattern.

I like the idea of a good symmetrical moose pattern as well.

Back