The unofficial Redmeadow Knives Ulu knife thread.

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Speaking for most of us, the traditional Inuit Ulu whale deblubbering knife holds a particular fascination. A traditional knife with historical significance, a handmade, (forged Damascus) tribute variant would likely be well received. What say you, fellow whale skinners, who's in?

Ulu.jpg

DirtySlightKitten-size_restricted.gif

Hmmm legit suggestion?

I'd entertain the idea if there was interest, but so car it's not lookin good...:eek:

I have a Dancing Man ulu with walrus tusk handle. I use it on occasion but my wife uses it all the time.

I'll eventually need a new one because she's going to wear this one down to a nub.

Guys, we're going to need more interest here for this one to gain traction. Maybe a pocket Ulu to start, or a necker Ulu, c'mon man, you can do eet...

Happy to see this idea is finally building momentum! 'All aboard...'

That lifeboat has only one seat and no paddle. :D Good luck on your solo journey to the Eskimo kingdom. I hope you convince John to go along with your quest.

Now we can get back to talking about more Pocket Blade variations. :thumbsup:

Phil

That lifeboat has only one seat and no paddle. :D Good luck on your solo journey to the Eskimo kingdom. I hope you convince John to go along with your quest.

Now we can get back to talking about more Pocket Blade variations. :thumbsup:

Phil

Pocket Ulu, what a great idea; wish I’d thought about that, thanks! :thumbsup:

YES! Pocket Blade Ulu!

True story; when Edna and I visited with Greg Gutcher, Sr, and his lovely wife, Fran, back around 2004 whilst researching out Randall Knives book, Greg showed us around the shop, his collection of rare skins and hides that would someday become custom Sullivan's Holster Shop sheaths (mostly for Randall Made knives; the 'other' RMK), and then his own knife collection. We spent hours with Greg and Fran that evening, documenting how they made sheaths, catching up, telling lies and having fun. Eventually, after handling more RMK's than I can remember, I asked which was most special to him? Not the most valuable, but the one that meant the most. It was longtime RMK sheath maker Maurice Johnson's Round Knife, given to Greg by W.D. 'Bo' Randall, just before Bo died. That was Greg's favorite, and by extension, his most valuable. Good on ya John, thanks for sharing yours. :thumbsup:

That's awesome Shel, the last time I enjoyed a good bullshit session was probably when you were over years ago.

I don't have any tools imbued with greatness but that round knife and my Serrano are by far the most used by these hands.

(Can't recall who posted this song in our music thread but I can relate way too much)

That night was a friggin' hoot for sure, and as much as I regret keeping the second bottle of tequila under wraps, it was probably for the best being that we were shooting the next day - I still get a kick thinking about how you'd fill the shot glasses, we'd BS for a bit, then find empty glasses when it came time for a shot; our ladies just laughing, having played us, taking those shots. That and you chasing me down on your quad the next day, possibly thinking lost me was making off with your lovely bride's SUV (I was so freakin' lost; flat land is flat, lol!) Good times. :D

The postman came today and I was anxiously awaiting delivery; I waved like Forrest Gump on a shrimp boat, then, burning the soles off my house slippers, robe flowing in the wind behind me, bare ass showing to the world, I ran down and snatched open my mailbox hoping to find my Redmeadow Knives custom Ulu - but no, all that was there was an electric bill. So, I really don't want to be 'that guy', but at this point am starting to wonder, what gives?

Anyone else wondering about the status of their preorder? I mean, I get the whole 'Covid impacted steel production and delivery of fossilized walrus penile bone', but it's been, like, three months. This is getting purty darn ridiculous, wouldn't you agree? I mean, I'm a patient man, but dang; fixin' to light a fire all up'in heah...

Ulu, ule, ukulele...

"Hello, my name is Susan and am calling to notify you that your vehicles warranty is set to expire.....:D"

tumblr_nld7luddsU1terwlso1_250.gif

Wait, are you a part of the Ulu GoFundMe of 1986? I invested that money and am still in talks with a Nigerian prince that should be transferring 10 million dollars into our Ulu account any moment now, exciting news I know!

Back