The Weight Issue- Einsteins Theory Of Khukuri Relativity 8>D

Status
Not open for further replies.
First one must understand that the Nepali people never designed this knife with the intention of it ever being used as you would a hatchet or axe. To the ghorka, this is a weapon, and was designed with that sole purpose as it's primary function.
The sirupate especially was designed as a weapon, even HI's own, somewhat overbuilt sirupate is not meant for chopping wood. That is why it is not warranted for such usage.

The difference in styles from different districts is mostly the cosmetic treatment of the blade, but can also be attributed to the difference in styles of usage. A ghorka border patrol sentry will likely prefer a light sirupate style and weighted khukuri, whereas a farmer or butcher using the khukuri in a different manner for a different purpose may prefer a heavier khukuri to his liking and suitability for the task.

Hi Karda, Namaste.

I agree with most of your statements re . kukri & probably know better than many that many antique military kukri up to as recent as 1915 could be in the 35 oz. range on occasion, Many Victorean kukri for both the Nepali army & the British Gurkhas are certainly up to 32 oz. in weight. { of course lighter versions also existed at the same era, as you imply its always been horses for courses.}

But I disagree the sirupate was designed as a military kukri, its probably the commonest long kukri carried in rural Nepal by countrymen & is used for all daily tasks by them. There often called Sherpa kukri in Nepal because ther what the porters carry. {Many of whom are not actually Sherpa.} I have only been to Nepal once, but saw sirupates in general use everywhere... the butchers, normaly had a range of about 5 kukris available to hand in Dharan, ranging from enormous cleaver weighted pieces to long slender blades.. depending on the cuts they were making. {In Kathmandu & pokara the butchers , do actualy use kami made cleavers & knives not kukri} But of course Dharan was home of the Gurkhas for 59 years posr ww2 & is /was the majour centre for the village kamis to be recruited to by the major kukri factors/workshops both for main Nepali production & export.

Many British army Gurkhas choose to buy . sirupate kukri {or often chitlangi,chanpuri styles}, as they if carefully chosen are infinity better made & more effective than than the low budget issue kukri the British army buy. They also generally also choose longer blades than the 10.1/2 to 11 inch British army issue.

As you said. Pick the kukri for your comfort of use that will do the job in hand, Ive got kukris like razors, that are light as a feather & others that would cleave a man in two or if blunt smash them to the ground with bone breaking, blunt force trauma.

To the the Gurkhas, the Gorkha & Nepalis in general historically, they all have their place..

All the best,

spiral

Thank you, Spiral.
I didn't say that the sirupate was designed as a military khukuri, but as a weapon.
Truth be told, before the ghorkali occupation, it was likely a hunting knife for the Rai and Limbu people.
Many styles have been adopted to war. But many share the common traits of slender, leaf shaped profiles.
Thank you also for confirming that the peoples of Nepal, knowing their national symbol as they do, do not use a single style or weight. They match the khukuri to the task and cut being performed.

This is what I'm trying to make the naysayers understand.
That HI chooses to provide the variety of ethnic and regional khukuri found in Nepal, Albeit optimized for durability and the western market.
Some feel affixed to believing that the only khukuri used in the country for generations upon generation, are only those similarly in weight and style as those used in a relatively short (comparatively) time span of two world wars.
Truth is, many Victorian khukuri and even the khukuri older than that are heavyweights compared to this narrow minded ideal.

It is also important to remember that before the availability of homogenous, inexpensive steel every piece of cutlery grade steel was folded/laminated. This is why many old blades from many cultures are partial tang, light, and often mild steel with a high carbon edge forge welded in-expense and conservation of effort.

I suspect that that westerner on youtube you refer too was being supplied by a famous nepali company for many a years (and claiming as his own)and even now with a little investigation you can see the various similar models available(Eg The Camping Kukri and the Havildar). All i can say is pride cometh before a fall....... and what happened to QC? At least H.I are honest, no bs and you can be sure you get what you pay for a much, much more . Thank you and beware of wolf in sheeps clothing

I suspect that that westerner on youtube you refer too was being supplied by a famous nepali company for many a years (and claiming as his own)and even now with a little investigation you can see the various similar models available(Eg The Camping Kukri and the Havildar). All i can say is pride cometh before a fall....... and what happened to QC? At least H.I are honest, no bs and you can be sure you get what you pay for a much, much more . Thank you and beware of wolf in sheeps clothing

I'm not going to discount your theory, but as far as I know he hires his own kami. He doesn't have a shop as HI does, but has one or two people contracted to produce khukuri. Hence the reason he only produces 3 or 4 runs of about 30 or so khukuri a year. A majority of the time he is out of stock. The reason you see his models, as well as some of our models for sale by that famous nepali company is that they are also known for stealing others designs and claiming them as their own. Some of their affiliates have even been so bold as to use our ad copy and khukuri FAQ material to sell their wares.

They are also known for stealing others designs and claiming them as their own. Some of their affiliates have even been so bold as to use our ad copy and khukuri FAQ material to sell their wares.

That's a shame but not new. The positive side of this is that we can take it as the ultimate compliment.

HI is making the Rollex' of Khukris... Sounds good to me.

Luckily I asked around before buying my first khukuri and someone suggest based off my weight and height to go with 'this' model.

First time I chopped wood with it, it practically melted into the wood, I was pleased.

Thank you, Spiral.
I didn't say that the sirupate was designed as a military khukuri, but as a weapon.
Truth be told, before the ghorkali occupation, it was likely a hunting knife for the Rai and Limbu people.
Many styles have been adopted to war. But many share the common traits of slender, leaf shaped profiles.
Thank you also for confirming that the peoples of Nepal, knowing their national symbol as they do, do not use a single style or weight. They match the khukuri to the task and cut being performed.

This is what I'm trying to make the naysayers understand.
That HI chooses to provide the variety of ethnic and regional khukuri found in Nepal, Albeit optimized for durability and the western market.
Some feel affixed to believing that the only khukuri used in the country for generations upon generation, are only those similarly in weight and style as those used in a relatively short (comparatively) time span of two world wars.
Truth is, many Victorian khukuri and even the khukuri older than that are heavyweights compared to this narrow minded ideal.

Thanks Karda,

Sorry that after reading your piece , I had mistaken martial or military for weapon within my mind!

Yes the Nepalese certainly use a myriad of differnt kukris in length,width, weight etc.

I personaly think Sirupates are a late 19th century early 20th century development, but could be mistaken.

J.W. Partial tangs are usual throughout, India & Nepal.

Re.

I'm not going to discount your theory, but as far as I know he hires his own kami. He doesn't have a shop as HI does, but has one or two people contracted to produce khukuri. Hence the reason he only produces 3 or 4 runs of about 30 or so khukuri a year. A majority of the time he is out of stock. The reason you see his models, as well as some of our models for sale by that famous nepali company is that they are also known for stealing others designs and claiming them as their own. Some of their affiliates have even been so bold as to use our ad copy and khukuri FAQ material to sell their wares.

For sake of the record, they Originally they were purchased from Lalits kukri house, then for many years from Rams Nepelese khukuri house, {Ive been there with him {foolish me.} & Rams brother & watched them made & met & spoken with Ram a few times about it about 7/8 years ago.}} that changed a about 2 or 3 years ago? I don't know who they come from know.

spiral

I think up til WW2 partial tangs were the norm in a lot of places-Philippines and Indonesia especially (I had a little barong that I used for cutting tatami omote, sometimes with bamboo cores-long story short, took it apart to reharden the blade and the tang was ONE INCH long lol, on a 16" blade-and it worked. Cut the equivalent of my thigh several times, and survived cuts by people who didn't really grok the mechanics of shortblade cutting. When I put it back together I extended the tang a little and pinned it-to avoud having a spontaneous barongapult. :)
I actually love the partial tang setup, as long as it's done right and the handle material has enough support. Does cool things to the handling of the blade.

There are so many different statements of a personal point of view in this thread. Geometry of the blade is varied. The weight of the blade varies. The thinness of the edge varies. Heavy vs light is endless. How you use a blade rules as well as what you are cutting..........i.e. grass or wood.

I remember as a young man swing a sledge hammer driving stakes on a construction job. I never was as good as the old timers, technique ruled. Just as in martial arts, form and technique out class talk and youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back