The "Whatever" Thread

I chose to take today off from work - so I only worked two hours this morning to get through the 190 emails I received on Friday and the weekend. Ugh.

Took my kids to the Bears game yesterday - it was beautiful except for the final score. (My kids are grown, so it was my daughter and her husband, and my son and his girlfriend). Rented a Dodge caravan. A great day tailgating and watching football.

I took today off to get some things done around home, and as you would expect, a little job turned into a hassle. Cleaning the dryer vent turned into having to clean out the entire pipe out to the outside wall, and then replacing the shutter on the outside wall, with the requisite trip to Lowes.

After that I had to replace some halogen bulbs in the fixtures on the back of the house - another hassle.

Exciting stuff. Tonight is playing with knives and watching football.

best

mqqn

Besides boring normal crap, I've been working on a trauma bag for my truck as well as a new kind of survival kit for the truck as well.

The trauma bag has been an interesting project as I've done a lot of research as well as looked into getting some training. I have some basic FA skills but would like to increase my knowledge base and be able to help someone who has suffered something other than a minor scrape, bruise or bee sting.

after having to defrost the car this morning this afternoon I'm walking around without a jacket on, Kentucky weather, it'll get you one way or the other :p

I was slightly overdressed when i walked out the front door carrying a chainsaw this morning - and somewhat under-dressed when I came back in 2 hours later.
Temp dropped 10 degrees, wind picked up and it started to mist -- but we didn't get any rain. Tomorrow I suspect I'll hurt, since I couldn't get the smaller saw running and had to do all the cutting with the Husky 372 w/32" bar. (and used all of the bar on a couple of cuts! :eek: )

Pretty chilly here...I think it's 9 degrees F right now. It was my day off and I had no real plans- the perfect day off! I went to Costco, went to lunch with my brother and went to a movie. Probably should have gone to the range and burned up some ammo but maybe next time.

There is some snow on the ground here. Maybe half an inch.

Andy, it is pretty funny you mention that. I had to do the same thing last night. I think some coins got in the dryer tube and it was rattling like crazy. After several attempts to get the shopvac into the tube to suck out the stuff, I decided to turn from suck to blow and I blew that crap all over outside. Worked like a charm.:D

Erik, I saw where you posted in that other thread about helping at your place. If I had enough spare time to head your way, I would do it. I reckon between the two of us, we could get quite a bit accomplished.

This is a good thread John, I like hearing the random thoughts of everyone. I'm gearing up for opening day for Whitetail in Missouri this weekend. I'm heading up to our property up north near Hannibal for a three night, three day hunting trip. The first day will be with bow and the other two with my Marlin .44 leveraction. I believe this is my 20th year hunting with my old man. I'm very fortunate to have learned from him and to have spent this time with him and hope to do the same with my daughter and son. This year we have myself, my old man, a good friend who is a regular to deer season with us and this year we have a first time hunter. Coincidentally, he is the person who got me into knives and I got him into guns, so I'm pulling for him to get his first deer this year. Hopefully we bag a few as a group and fill the freezer! The hunt is fun but my favorite part of the trip is the time spent with the other hunters. We always head to the local Pizza hut on Saturday night and grab some pizzas and beers, then tell our stories of the day and years past, good time and great memories!

Also, it's damn cold out there tonight!! I ran four miles in the rain and wind. By the time I was done I had frozen toes, fingers, nose and other extremities I need not name!! Wow! Wind was brutal!

Trev, you ran, on purpose? And nothing was chasing you? Sounds like too much work, LOL!

Seriously, it sounds like your Pizza Hut session would be a blast. Maybe even more fun than the hunt itself.

Trev, you ran, on purpose? And nothing was chasing you? Sounds like too much work, LOL!

Seriously, it sounds like your Pizza Hut session would be a blast. Maybe even more fun than the hunt itself.

LMAO!! Actually, old age is chasing me and it's gaining ground fast!!

Ha, I'm out the game ATM, sprained y ankle pretty badly on Halloween and I'm still kinda hobbling, no running for me :(

Well the snow came out last night, and just like that we go form fall to winter,

That's no good KY, nothing like an injury to knock you out of your routine. Hope you heal up fast!

I'm sad to see Fall go, it's by far my favorite time of the year and it goes by too fast every year.

thanks trevytrev, it's healing, a little slower then i'd like but it's been a while since I've had to lay up so i can't complain.

I like fall best myself, seems the last few somehting has always come up to distract but it doesn't stop us enjoying it. It's festival seaosn round here in the fall, don't know if thats true everywhere else, but we go arodun to different eastern kentuckytowns and enjoya good day out, some fires outside in the yard, and watching the kids chase each other in the elaves,. good times :)

Froze my a** off in the shop this morning, now I`m inside gluing handles on 5 knives.

Woohoo,I got a call from work this morning,they want me back next week!

But it's only for the 1 week while the lead is on vacation hunting.

Oh well,I'll take what I can get.

Woohoo,I got a call from work this morning,they want me back next week!

But it's only for the 1 week while the lead is on vacation hunting.

Oh well,I'll take what I can get.

Awesome!

I think I am done with layoffs for this year - next year I am not sure about as yet.

They usually only lay us off for a week at a time - you get asked to take so many a quarter.

best

mqqn

Gets pretty cold up here in the mountains, so one form of heat that we depend on is an electric heater [Edit: called an ETS unit] that charges up during certain times of the day when the local electric co-op charges us less and then distributes the heat when needed. Pretty neat concept & saves a ton of $$$.

Went to turn it on last week and it did not work. Bad timer. So I called the co-op to get them to come fix it (we lease it, they maintain it). A week later after broken promises and failures to show up - they arrived. 3 minutes later it was working again and just in time. Front coming through this evening with a temperature drop that should chill things up nicely.

Winter is here.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a nice portable heater [Edit: as opposed to the big unit I'm talking about above], these things work great (pic is also a link):

Quartz heater, economical as heck. We have 2 in the main house and one in the guest house (where 91 yo Mom lives). Unless temp gets below zero, these things can heat up both houses. Love 'em. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Great news about your work Myke,

love the sound of those heaters as well Saintly brees, our heats acting up a little, nothing stops a train my butt :), ah well we prefer to use the wood stove anyway.

We hunted through the closets today and started to piece together the gloves, hats and jacket combos that have become scattered over the warmer weather months, I always like the winter but gearing up for it can be a hassle sometimes

Back