The "Whatever" Thread

Does anyone else not have a political view and just vote based on policy and proposal. Im tired of hearing and seeing everyone's politcal views and agenda. I just wanna get off work hangout with the kids and bend some leather.
I did go up to my old stomping grounds in fairbanks. Man I miss living in the northpole. I lived away from anyone I could shoot guns off my front porch. Peaceful and quiet.

Does anyone else not have a political view and just vote based on policy and proposal. Im tired of hearing and seeing everyone's politcal views and agenda. I just wanna get off work hangout with the kids and bend some leather.
I did go up to my old stomping grounds in fairbanks. Man I miss living in the northpole. I lived away from anyone I could shoot guns off my front porch. Peaceful and quiet.

I have done that before but I try not to. Anymore, I try to at least get the local ones figured out since they're usually who will actually make a difference in my community. Unfortunately, it's usually harder to dig up info on them. I'll probably spend a weekend researching everyone quick and try to filter it down to a few options for some but have most of them figured out.

The weirdest thing to me is that we aren't allowed to vote for two different parties, or do a split ticket, oftentimes which is silly since the lines are blurred for the more moderate guys who I generally prefer. Basically, I just like guys and gals willing to think before they simply pick a political party and start sounding off all the stuff to get their base voted in.

Things were easier when I was in the rural area of Michigan where our mayor was the town barber and just a good, nice guy instead of a politician running the city. I just like simple and voting and politics is overcomplicated on purpose; drives me nuts.

Most of you know I was given a "do over" at having a family when I met my wife. My oldest son is a computer engineer with a good job, nice home, and wonderful wife. Growing up he wasn't perfect but was very little trouble. He has never had stitches or a broken bone. He never was expelled, suspended, or had detention at school. He probably could have been class valedictorian but never made straight A's because "only nerds make straight A's" according to what he told me several times.
My youngest is 6 and so far seems to share many traits with my older son but not everything. When he was born I told my wife I had it too easy the first time around and expected things to go differently this time. Yesterday we took our son to the ER and found that he has a fractured humerus. It doesn't appear to be serious and we have a follow up with an orthopedic Dr next week. Funny thing is it wasn't his first trip to ER and it probably won't be his last. My wife keeps asking him if he learned a lesson. He tells her he did but I know better.

Last edited:
Hi fellow JK'ers

I finally got the Superglide out and washed it - I had been neglecting it save for keeping it on a battery charger since the move happened. It had been sitting in the attached garage and got covered with drywall dust and construction spew during the remodel.

It cleaned up fairly well. I found out that there is a new motorcycle repair shop open right around the corner from my house, and the fellow specializes in Harley! I am having some fuel pressure leakage inside the gas tank (this is a FI model), so I decided to take the bike over to the fellow to give him some business and to get the bike back on the road.

I also ordered a new front tire as this is the original tire and it is so badly dry-rotted it is going flat now.

I decided to go with an aftermarket 2 into 1 pipe, and a the requisite fuel system controller and high-flow air cleaner.

These mods will lighten the bike up a bit - the new header is only 17 lbs, and give it a little more performance, but my main reason is to give the bike that late-70s low rider look.

The roads down here are spectacular - can't wait to get the bike back and head to the mountains.
f0ce96c38c38792dff419af735d3b94a.jpg

best

mqqn

That’s a great looking bike!

Thank you! I have had several Harley big-twins over the years, and I took a 15 or so year hiatus when building a family.
One day while I was re-certifying my welding certification at work, I was working with a gentleman and he mentioned he had this Super Glide for sale.
I had been looking for late 70s or early 80's Low Riders, and when he mentioned this, I had to see it.
Turns out he had seen one of his friends wreck and became spooked about riding, and so he put this bike under a car-port in central Illinois for a couple years, which were not kind to the bike.
He was the original owner, and it only had 11k miles on it, so we struck a deal (much longer story than that but...) and I bought it.
Changed out all the fluids, new battery, fork seals and new rear tire and boom - it was back on the road.

http://www.iammoon.com/albums/2006 Harley Davidson FXDI/VID_20170207_173607281_HDR.mp4
IMG_20170212_140202557_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170213_193853295_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170214_052838859_HDR.jpg

Like I said, the move from Illinois took a full year from us, between searching for a house and coming down to view houses, and then bringing loads of "stuff" down to the new house, and then a 3.5 month remodel job, the bikes took a back seat.
Fast forward to today - I am ready to start riding again - I have another street bike (2015 Kaw ZG1400ABS)

IMG_20170514_200442156.jpg

IMG_20170521_174639287.jpg

.....so I am still in the mountains, but I want my putt back. Potato-Potato-Potato.

Incidentally, why f1addict f1addict ? I may have missed that previously. :)

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Just a huge fan of Formula 1. Been following the sport since 1987, and have been hooked ever since. I have taken Alma and the boys to see the races in Canada and Singapore, and we’ve been to the race in Austin six times so far. I will occasionally watch an IndyCar race or a NASCAR race, but hardly ever miss an F1 weekend on TV — two practice sessions, the qualifying session, and of course the race.

I think what hooked me with F1 was not only the racing action itself, but the technology of the sport, the political dynamics of the teams and within the teams themselves. Sometimes it gets “boring,” such as the dominance with Lewis Hamilton right now, but there is always enough going on to keep me entertained.

However, back to motorcycles... my father bought me my first motorcycle for my 5th birthday (Indian 50cc), and was racing dirt bikes by 8 years old. Started with street bikes at 16, and been through a few. Currently not on two wheels at the time — I sold my 2014 Ducati Panigale R about 3 years ago. Traffic in the Austin area has gotten way to crazy, and I rarely have time on the weekends to ride.

I will probably buy another bike at some point. Thinking about one of those BMW R1200 GS things. I like the way they look.

I also love F1 - my phone ringer was a f1 fly-by for many years. A few friends of mine had said we would go to Monte Carlo - but that never happened. I have only been around one F1 car that was running, in person. Just awesome. I don't think people really realize just how close to the edge those things are.

Good to hear - and maybe, someday....and good taste in the Ducati - back in the day I lusted for a desmo....

best

mqqn

Too cool. Power it open, power it closed. Repeat.

best

mqqn

Most of you know I was given a "do over" at having a family when I met my wife. My oldest son is a computer engineer with a good job, nice home, and wonderful wife. Growing up he wasn't perfect but was very little trouble. He has never had stitches or a broken bone. He never was expelled, suspended, or had detention at school. He probably could have been class valedictorian but never made straight A's because "only nerds make straight A's" according to what he told me several times.
My youngest is 6 and so far seems to share many traits with my older son but not everything. When he was born I told my wife I had it too easy the first time around and expected things to go differently this time. Yesterday we took our son to the ER and found that he has a fractured humerus. It doesn't appear to be serious and we have a follow up with an orthopedic Dr next week. Funny thing is it wasn't his first trip to ER and it probably won't be his last. My wife keeps asking him if he learned a lesson. He tells her he did but I know better.

Hope the kiddo is healing up well.

I am excited - Chad Pirtle @cpirtle emailed me and said my order had bubbled to the top and he is working on my sheath for my Busse FMV14 - the sheath will feature a beaver-tail inlay - and it should be pretty spectacular.

I'll post pictures here when I receive the sheath.

The FMV14 is the second from the bottom in this picture
20200315_103853.jpg

The knife on the top is an older Badger Attack Ergo that JK reground and I had the original scales attached with the signature Busse hollow pins.

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Back