They just don't get it - a tale of a first world problem in the age of the pandemic..

So this tree comes down on my driveway - I own a small chainsaw that would of handled it right quick but, but....I post on BF's so that wasn't going to happen.

Drove around the tree for a day or two until I got a day spare from work so I could go at this tree with an axe. I was savouring the moment thinking how I would approach it, how I was going to film it, how good my axe would look on processed wood. Feeling on top of the world chopping up this fallen tree and a retiree staying in a camper on the neighbours block arrives to offer help with his chainsaw. I'm like "' nah I'm good thanks tho". Don't know what the guy was thinking but he must have thought I really wanted help even tho I said the opposite telling me like how a chainsaw will be less effort etc like I didn't know that or I had lived such a sheltered life I didn't know chainsaws were invented or whatever the actual f#@$ he was thinking. So my glorious day is starting to lose its shine as the old coot actually starts to muscle in and start chainsawing my tree.

Words were exchanged mainly from my end and the ol fella walked away insulted, sad and upset. I tried to resume my axe work but the feeling was gone plus feeling guilty for telling off the ol fella who just wanted to help.

Finally I got over the whole idea ,got my own chainsaw and cleared the driveway and went back to work on my day off driving past the ol fella who thinks I'm the biggest prick on the planet.

These normal people will never get it.

The end.

Oof, this is like when I politely asked my neighbor to stop mowing and trimming parts of my yard (which I guess he had done for the previous owner). The man made a face like a toddler being sent to bed and hasn't spoken to me since. In retrospect, I should have just let him do what he thought was a favor, even though in my mind (and by law) he was rudely trespassing :rolleyes:. Oh well, now I use my Shiro to keep the yard trim! /s

That does kind of suck.

I think I would have told him, " thanks for the offer, I've got a chainsaw but I just felt like using an axe today ". Then ask him if he needs help with anything, tell him you'll gladly bring your axe by as it's quieter and won't upset his neighbors with a tone that insinuates he's only ever used a chainsaw and doesn't know :D

I had taken down a medium sized spruce tree with an axe, and was limbing it with a BK4. Neighbor, who'd just gotten home, came to the fence and declared that he had a chainsaw. I smiled, acknowledged that I had one, too - while thanking him for the offer; and told him that I enjoy doing it this way sometimes.

You had every right to cut up the tree with your axe. That old retiree had no business trying to help you.

It's weird but some people, when they offer you some kind of kindness, get really offended if you decline.
Customers on service calls that want to thank me seem to hate it when I decline water, soda, and chips....:(
Eventually, that little guilty part of your soul dies and you acccept home-baked cookies, sandwhiches made with love, and sweet tea made
"the way momma made it" etc. with a big ole smile and throw it in the garbage at the next gas stop.:mad::mad::cool:
If you ever see a super fat tradesman or HVAC tech, they probably eat all the "thank you" handouts from customers.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's like if a toddler offered you something and you said no, they were having fun making nice and making friends and you ruined it because you wouldn't let them help you. He knew a "more better" way to "cut the trees" and you wouldn't let him help you :eek:and so his momma told him to go out there and show you how a big boy takes care of trees anyway:oops:... but he also doesn't want to play with you anymore because you're stupid and don't have his same toys :p:p:p

This happens to me a lot.. I’ll be out crawling under bushes with a pocket saw to trim them or cut them down and out comes that neighbor with an electric pole saw saying I should use it.

I always find a polite way to decline by saying something like “I know that’s easier but I’m trying to break a sweat here, thanks for the offer”.

But seems your neighbor just started cutting it up without your approval and that is crossing the line. A man’s home is his castle and you don’t just waltz over and start doing things. That’s the same as someone just driving their tractor over to cut your grass when you like push mowing it.

Screw that guy. You don’t have to be friends with all your neighbors. Good fences make good neighbors and a wave every once in a while is good enough for most.

When I bought my house 25 years ago, I walked to the backyard, looked straight back and didn't see another house.

I walked to the front of the house , looked left and then right, I couldn't see another house.
Told the realtor, "we'll take it".

Plenty of things to chop, cut and shoot at without nosy neighbors.

backyard.jpg

While I understand, his actions didn't coincide with your desires, he was just attempting to be a good neighbor and helping out .that is not a bad thing. You likely could have asked 10,000 people in the same situation and none would have desired to do the job with an ax. He just didn't understand your line of thinking. I'd give him a pass this time and when you see him try to explain better. If he still can't get it, then you may have to be blunt .
Then again,-He may have had as much of a fetish for chainsawing things up as you did for using the ax, and there was no stopping him :)

But I am nor arguing that you shouldn't be able to do what you want with your tree and being denied that would be disappointing.

Last edited:
This happens to me a lot.. I’ll be out crawling under bushes with a pocket saw to trim them or cut them down and out comes that neighbor with an electric pole saw saying I should use it.

I always find a polite way to decline by saying something like “I know that’s easier but I’m trying to break a sweat here, thanks for the offer”.

But seems your neighbor just started cutting it up without your approval and that is crossing the line. A man’s home is his castle and you don’t just waltz over and start doing things. That’s the same as someone just driving their tractor over to cut your grass when you like push mowing it.

Screw that guy. You don’t have to be friends with all your neighbors. Good fences make good neighbors and a wave every once in a while is good enough for most.

this

it's okay to try and be nice but you should ask first

Back