They just don't get it - a tale of a first world problem in the age of the pandemic..

I try to keep things as light as possible with neighbors for this very reason. An occasional Hi or hand wave as they drive by is as far as I like to go. Only exception I ever made was my first house purchase. It was a new development. We all moved in around the same time so there was a sort of brotherly bond there. I’m still friendly with them to this day.

Then again,-He may have had as much of a fetish for chainsawing things up as you did for using the ax, and there was no stopping him :)
You might be right, I have a buddy with a collection of old Husqvarnas that’s always looking for something to cut up.

I'm just glad a neighbor showed up with a chainsaw to help you Houla. My neighbors would have brought over chairs, opened some beers, and made sarcastic remarks about how wimpy I swing an axe and how long I was taking. Then they would have asked me if I had any beers in my fridge.

Nevertheless, I get what you're saying .. :p

I hear ya, I REALLY DO lol.
But, I honestly think you would've been better off just to let the old fella have at it......
But, then again, .....lol, I know how you feel bro!

Next time, simply tell him "I have a chainsaw, but I was really looking forward to using some of my hand tools.... It is very rare in this day and age to be able to take advantage of my non powered toys. I intend to savor the work."

One day I decided to trim the trees in the front yard with a machete I never get to use. It was a very dusty, hazy, and sunny day in Arizona, so I also wore my black half balaclava face mask, (before face masks were as accepted in public as they are now) and my boonie hat.

Little did I consider that someone smacking around a machete in their front yard with a mask and military hat on would freak out the neighborhood kids passing by. Those kids stopped by much less frequently afterwards.

So this tree comes down on my driveway - I own a small chainsaw that would of handled it right quick but, but....I post on BF's so that wasn't going to happen.

Drove around the tree for a day or two until I got a day spare from work so I could go at this tree with an axe. I was savouring the moment thinking how I would approach it, how I was going to film it, how good my axe would look on processed wood. Feeling on top of the world chopping up this fallen tree and a retiree staying in a camper on the neighbours block arrives to offer help with his chainsaw. I'm like "' nah I'm good thanks tho". Don't know what the guy was thinking but he must have thought I really wanted help even tho I said the opposite telling me like how a chainsaw will be less effort etc like I didn't know that or I had lived such a sheltered life I didn't know chainsaws were invented or whatever the actual f#@$ he was thinking. So my glorious day is starting to lose its shine as the old coot actually starts to muscle in and start chainsawing my tree.

Words were exchanged mainly from my end and the ol fella walked away insulted, sad and upset. I tried to resume my axe work but the feeling was gone plus feeling guilty for telling off the ol fella who just wanted to help.

Finally I got over the whole idea ,got my own chainsaw and cleared the driveway and went back to work on my day off driving past the ol fella who thinks I'm the biggest prick on the planet.

These normal people will never get it.

The end.

I don't understand people. I try and have as little interaction with people as possible.

Social distancing... :D Now you have an excuse for not being friendly.

I've been socially distancing before it was even recognized as being a thing.

It's kinda funny. What we call social distancing today, was called child abuse when I was growing up.

That old man was probably waiting years to use that chainsaw;)

You know, I almost said the exact same thing. Sometimes when folks are not only offering to help, but willing to bring their own equipment, they're really just looking for an excuse to try out their new toys.

So this tree comes down on my driveway - I own a small chainsaw that would of handled it right quick but, but....I post on BF's so that wasn't going to happen.

Drove around the tree for a day or two until I got a day spare from work so I could go at this tree with an axe. I was savouring the moment thinking how I would approach it, how I was going to film it, how good my axe would look on processed wood. Feeling on top of the world chopping up this fallen tree and a retiree staying in a camper on the neighbours block arrives to offer help with his chainsaw. I'm like "' nah I'm good thanks tho". Don't know what the guy was thinking but he must have thought I really wanted help even tho I said the opposite telling me like how a chainsaw will be less effort etc like I didn't know that or I had lived such a sheltered life I didn't know chainsaws were invented or whatever the actual f#@$ he was thinking. So my glorious day is starting to lose its shine as the old coot actually starts to muscle in and start chainsawing my tree.

Words were exchanged mainly from my end and the ol fella walked away insulted, sad and upset. I tried to resume my axe work but the feeling was gone plus feeling guilty for telling off the ol fella who just wanted to help.

Finally I got over the whole idea ,got my own chainsaw and cleared the driveway and went back to work on my day off driving past the ol fella who thinks I'm the biggest prick on the planet.

These normal people will never get it.

The end.
Well, Paul Bunyan, I’d say it’s time to man up and buy that guy a Vermont teddy bear.

That does kind of suck.

I think I would have told him, " thanks for the offer, I've got a chainsaw but I just felt like using an axe today ". Then ask him if he needs help with anything, tell him you'll gladly bring your axe by as it's quieter and won't upset his neighbors with a tone that insinuates he's only ever used a chainsaw and doesn't know :D

I would have told him thanks, but I'm using the axe to get some exercise.

I had a neighbor that intruded on my property more than once. The first time I politely asked him to move his stuff. When he scoffed at me I moved it for him.

Back