Things SOG can do to get back on top.

i really like the look of sog knives, but for the price they are i think they could do better on blade play and the handle, i have 5 sogs and never had a prblem with them though but havent put them through real hard tests

Back on Top? Well, kind of difficult to answer, imo. They dont do much wrong. Maybe up the quality of some of their folders a little, like blade play issues and stuff. What i really would like to see from them is a reinvisioned, epic (yeah, i know. but i dont know how else to explain it.) version of their company starters, like the Tigershatk SK5. Beautiful, modernised design (not by much), practical and made for everyday hard use. And maybe a BIG, FAT 9"+ knife, one that you would choose for Apocalypse and Zombie scenarios, using the best of the best materials.
Last but not least, new knives (design and everything) for military and LE, that will be in 10-20 years hopefully as legendary as the first SOG knives.

First, I just want to say that while I am critical of SOG Knives. I believe that they really, truly, have the potential to out-compete Cold Steel or Benchmade....IF and only IF, they decide to upgrade the quality of the materials they use!
They focus waaaay too much on advertising their brand name, instead of letting their knives do the advertising.

1. Please stop plastering SOG SOG SOG SOG SOG all over your knives. It makes me feel like SOG cares more about developing a brand name appearance, than building knives with quality materials and integrity that are ready to perform at a moments notice. We already know it's a SOG..... It used to be the reason we bought the knife in the first place.

2. Please stop using cheap GRN as a handle material. G-10 is more flex resistant, stronger and has better grip texture. Spyderco, Benchmade, and Coldsteel- SOG's main competitors, are all using G-10 because its the BEST handle material for production knives.

For example, look at the SOG Spec-Elite II knife. I own both the I and the II. I have a love/hate relationship with this model. Like a friend who is so close to getting his life on track, only to ruin it with drug abuse...
The steel is VG-10= Super Awesome.
The lock is the "Arc Lock"= Awesome.
The handle is thin metal liners with thin GRN= FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM.

So you design a tactical folding knife with a 4 or 5 inch blade, with a flimsy pocket clip that barely stays in your pocket, with barely any finger guard, with a cheap GRN handle material that is slippery when wet and that flexes and bends when i grip it tightly?

To me that says....

"Let's capitalize on the tactical market and use cost-cutting materials that compromise the integrity of the knife's intended purpose so we can turn a better profit."

What frustrates me to no end, is how f*#&@ing close SOG is to making home-run, knockout knives, only to screw it up on by trying to keep costs down. Or by making an imitation Spyderco....:thumbdn:

The Spec-Elite series, is so close to being the PERFECT tactical knife. Seriously, if you haven't held one in your hand, try to, you can literally feel it's potential awesomeness. So please, upgrade the Spec-Elite series with G-10 handles and take all of my damn money!

I apologize for the rant.

SOG SOG SOG!! I LOVE YOUR VINTAGE KNIVES!! COME BACK WITH A VINTAGE SERIES THAT USE TOP QUALITY PRODUCTION - Like what G.Sakai did for AL MAR or whoever made yours in the 80's!! THOSE 3 KIKU KNIVES BY THE MASTER Matsuda are sweet looking BUT THE PRICE is a joke.. I mean they are beauitful but they COST 2x more than a normal handmade Matsuda.. WHY ?? WHY ???...

Very fustrating!!!

1. Please stop plastering SOG SOG SOG SOG SOG all over your knives. It makes me feel like SOG cares more about developing a brand name appearance, than building knives with quality materials and integrity that are ready to perform at a moments notice. We already know it's a SOG..... It used to be the reason we bought the knife in the first place.

Exactly! I'm not a rapper or race car driver! It's so Hollywood to desire to have name brands displayed so prominently on one's person. "Ohhhh, I have a Gucci handbag; look at me!"
The bigger the logo, the cheaper the knives look. And it should be stamped into the metal and not done with paint or molded rubber.

Back