Things SOG can do to get back on top.

macgregor22

Gold Member
I think SOG is a great company with truely unique disigns and engineering.
Lately I have been hear people talk about SOG possibly going downhill so here is a list of thing that I think(as a knife consumer) would bring SOG back to a greater greatness.
-eliminate all the serrations, they have really just become a fashion statement and ooften take away from the funtionality of some knives
-stop adding spine rasps to knives and charging X dallors more fore them, the updated handles are nice though
-make a line of updated classics with krayton handles and kydex sheaths; this is probly the one I think is the best, updated scuba/demos and recon bowies would be very popular because the are very good disigns for military use
and you will actually be able to use the scuba/demo as a dive knife:eek:
-ditch the tigershark elite, the thing is ridiculous and anyone carrying it will look like a total walt
bring back the original tigershark with NO serrations and in a carbon steel
I will think of more later.
Will a pretty please do anything?

-Mac

Macgregor,
I agree with you on some points and (respectfully, of course) disagree with you on others. :thumbup:

Serrations: I think the serrations are good on some models while on others should be done away with. Another good option is having two versions: one plain edge, and one combo edge (i.e. the Flash models, or the Trident folders). I mean, from my personal experience, there are some cases where the serrations cut better on some materials. Again, this is a personal choice for many consumers and I think not having this option, SOG may drive some potential customers away.

Spine rasps: I think on models where the "rasp" is more of a grip for the thumb, like for example on the Spec-Elite or the X-Ray Vision models, they serve a purpose. However, the ones on the new SEAL Elite series seem pointless and out of place. I say keep the ones on folders and get rid of the newer ones that run the length of the spine on fixed blades.

Updated classics: Couldn't agree more. Isn't this part of what made SOG famous?

Tigershark Elite: Having never handled any of the Tigershark models, I feel like it is not my place to disagree with you. However, I will not buy this new model for a few reasons. Even though the AUS8 is an upgrade over the AUS6, I think the hand-guard is a little too much for me. To be honest, it doesn't even look like it (the handguard) would take much of a beating. I know it is removable, but the knife also sports the spine rasps I don't like.

Mac, I hope you don't take this as hijacking your thread, but just a little more/different input from another consumer... :D

You guys make some very good points. I think serrations as an option instead of standard is a good idea too.

From what I can tell, a lot of people that complain are biased against products being made in Taiwan. Firstly, from the sounds of it, most of these people don't even own any Taiwan produced SOGs, it seems like they are mostly forming their opinions from hearsay. You'll notice these people don't talk about the performance, only the fact that it is being made in Taiwan and how good they used to be etc etc. Second, they weren't complaining when most of the products were made in Japan (if I'm not mistaken) and the only change since then has been the place of manufacture (plus the steel upgrade).

One area where SOG seems to be doing well is with their folders. The steel being upgraded to VG10 on the Pentagon and Spec Elites without changing the place of manufacture was a good move. So the upper end of knives now all have VG10 or laminated. And they are still being produced in the USA and Japan which is a wise choice.

Last edited:
-I am not quite sure if I own any Taiwan SOG's, but I do own a Boker Trance, which is produced in Taiwain. One of my favorite and most impressive EDC knives. It locks up with absolutely no blade play, holds a good edge, and fills the hand incredibly well for such a small knife. I suppose this just goes to show that Taiwainese products are not always bad.

-Japanese knives are great... the VG-10 is excellent stuff.

Yeah Taiwan can definitely do good products. Even Spyderco has been experimenting with them with the Spyderco Sage and Tenacious

These are all great comments and I appreciate the feedback. I'll pass these along and maybe some of these will be seen in the future.

Thanks guys and a big thanks to Chris!

Like I said, SOG is a great company.

PS: Can you really push the updated classics part, I have been dreaming of a krayton handled scuba/demo or recon bowie.

There's always room for improvement.
And one of these, could be the way in which an establishment markets its products.
Public perception is what makes or breaks the sales figures.
A company usually hopes to establish a healthy consumer market by feeding prospective customers with product information through advertisements and other print media like catalogs.
However the direction in which an advertisment hopes to accelerate sales is usually greeted with initial customer scepticism, now that we're so much more informed in the "information age".
Slick ads don't always work (remember "DarkOps Knives"? Fabulous print ads, but did nothing to fuel consumer confidence).
This is why press releases, product reviews and endorsements (unfortunately it's not entirely in vogue to be linked with Navy SEALs these days) is the best way for any company to gain good publicity.
Engaging a trusted PR firm is one way to create spin, something an establishment with no fulltime in-house PR department should consider looking into.
Staying visible" in positive light, keeps players in the loop.
And it's always good PR to develop a healthy relationship with the community in general.
To be a socially responsible corporate citizen is to have special interest programmes drawn out to encourage the development of a healthy society.
Preferably one that would support or wholly endorse the positive aspects of open carry and use of a knife in public - the lawful way!
Trade Shows or Public Exhibitions is probably the only avenue in which the general public (as in knifenuts) can personally meet and individually speak to representatives of their favorite brand manufacturers.
There can be no doubt that poor communication skills or general lack of enthusism shown by a rep.(first-liners) is all that it takes to undo the existing state of idol worship.
Thus, the customer must always be treated right; and for all intents and purposes, he is also alwaysto be considered right (it pays to respect the man who keeps you in business)!
If a company treats its customers with excellent service; then customer loyalty is automatically developed.
Word of mouth "I swear by its", is probably the ultimate compliment accorded to a deserving corporation (reflected usually by its repeat-customer sales).
And whilst such word endorsements may be "free"; its non-existance or lack thereof is usually a high price to pay for any struggling enterprise thai is trying to keep afloat.
It's time to cut the act and aim for the heart.
Folks do know the real deal once it's put in front of them...
As I know, SOG Knives has and will probably always have a solid reputation.

How about a no frills steel lined aluminum version of the Fatcat with an MSRP in the $250 range.

I could go for one of those.

less serrations on blades.(or the possibility to choose ,as is possible with the Seal Pup Elite)
and those rasps on the back of the blades are not liked by many as well.

personally I like the classic look in a modern coat.
that is...
the Seal Team Elite without any rasp or serration at all.with the zytel handle.
I noticed that there is a Seal Team which has only the serrations.

I'd like to see that in a version without serrations.

more(gadgets) does not mean better.

the Buck 119 for example is still liked by many.as is the KA-BAR.they both have a simple design ,although many KA-BARs nowadays also have the serrations option.but it is an option.you can buy the smooth edge version also.

the Seal Team with the strong zytel handle,makes a classic one when it has a smooth edge and smooth spine.
I do not like the Rambo kind of knives with serrations.not that the seal knives are like that.
but without serrations I like hem even better.

Last edited:
Bring back the old tech line with the brass bolsters.

I handled a tech in a store yesterday and really liked it.

tigershark without serrations
i dont like spine rasps
i would like to see the recon bowie back again updated or no with a carbon steel blade please :)

-ditch the tigershark elite, the thing is ridiculous and anyone carrying it will look like a total walt
bring back the original tigershark with NO serrations and in a carbon steel

-Mac

X2

I ebay searched "SOG Tigershark" a few times in the last week or two and it returned 0 results...that's right ZERO:eek:. People like the old ones and I guess no one wants the "elite:barf:"

I think they are heading in the right direction as some folders (Vison, Pentagon Elite, Spec Elite, Vulcan, etc) now use VG-10. They can do things like create the option of serrations, and update classics, but I agree with GIRLYmann that word of mouth is the best way to gain a reputation, which means it's partially up to us. My humble $.02.

Back