Thinking outside the box

Hyundai has lots of "efficiency experts", it's just very few of them are/were familiar with Dynamic inspection, it's a long, convoluted process. I'm not complaining about my promotion and move just kinda preferred being on the test track, it's one of the "rock star" jobs. :p The company does pay for improvement suggestions that they implement. I'm just waiting for them to complete the efficiency calculations.

So, what do we have so far?… Thinking inside, outside, linear, reverse, reverse/reverse, circular, spiral, angular or tangent, lateral, and maybe even touched on 3 dimensional geometric thinking. I’ve probably left a few out, but these should be enough to get the idea… The possibilities are endless!

There’s all different ways to think.

I think it’s time to just try some different ways of thinking and see what happens. Even if we are already happy, or think we’re happy, how will we know if there’s anything better or equally as good, if we don’t try it?

I guarantee,... if you change your thinking everything else will change. :)

...?

Of course,... in the end you can't really separate the process from the end product.

“You are either busy being born or busy dying.” Bob Dylan

I've spent a lot of time looking at/saving knife pictures from all ages and reading what is written on use and evolution of use. I can't look at a knife without trying to understand how it can be used... how it's form functions. It's personal (like everything), but I get struck by some knife forms or details of form. It feels like, "this is what ought to be"... like "it" is something I understand by feel.

For me to make a knife, I have to understand it first. For me, if I don't understand a thing, I literally can't do it.

It is an odd thing to me, I seem to build knives for individuals. It's like I need to find a person who needs a knife (whether they really do, or not) and I build one for them. Somewhere in there my feel of form and my feel for that person evolves a knife. That is a lot of fun... =]

Mike

So, what do we have so far?… Thinking inside, outside, linear, reverse, reverse/reverse, circular, spiral, angular or tangent, lateral, and maybe even touched on 3 dimensional geometric thinking. I’ve probably left a few out, but these should be enough to get the idea… The possibilities are endless!

There’s all different ways to think.

I think it’s time to just try some different ways of thinking and see what happens. Even if we are already happy, or think we’re happy, how will we know if there’s anything better or equally as good, if we don’t try it?

I guarantee,... if you change your thinking everything else will change. :)

...?

You put this up while I was putting up my last. After reading, I started responding mentally, realized my thoughts were argumentative, and stopped.

I think a person can evolve through observation, that simply looking will move a person from where they are... regardless of where or it's descriptive... and will create understanding, in and of itself.

Like... I shoot pistols. I watch people shooting pistols and I get understandings I didn't have. I shoot pistols differently, then. I get stuck shooting pistols sometimes... I'm shooting in a box. I understand to shoot pistols other than in the box by not shooting pistols. When I don't shoot, all I have is my understanding of it... the feel of it. They both evolve/refine/orient through the time of not shooting.

Mike

Last edited:
It is an old book about a hero, "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" by Richard Bach. Does not take long to read and is what this thread is all about.

Perception is reality by changing your thinking then you change the way your percieve.

... plus, It's good for our brains! It helps keep it healthy and alive. :)

Change the thought process!

It helps with problem solving etc...

“Sometimes the situation is only a problem because it is looked at in a certain way. Looked at in another way, the right course of action may be so obvious that the problem no longer exists.”

Edward de Bono

We can all think differently with equal merit. We need more diversity not less. We need to encourage each other not discourage. :)

It is an old book about a hero, "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" by Richard Bach. Does not take long to read and is what this thread is all about.

Great book Ed! I read that when I was just a kid. It effected me in a very positive way. :)

I am constantly trying to get in this box, trying not always succeeding.
Our thinking is so much influenced by our :Denvironments and where we come from,…

There are boxes everywhere!,… houses, rooms, cars, cabinets, drawers, envelopes, bags, vessels etc… inside and outside.

The concept of "inside and outside" is part of our human psyche…

Now,... let’s consider the human female reproductive system,… from where we all came.

female.jpg

That's the box where thinking begins. :)

The only place, or "state", where thought doesn't exist or can't exist is called "yoga nidra". It's the silence after the M in AUM... but there's really nothing to describe the experience, or anything to describe... it's a total empty void. It's easier to say what it isn't than what it is. It isn't meditation, it isn't dreaming, it isn't thinking,... it just isn't.

It has been thought of as conscious deep sleep.

Last edited:
I think that as men, when ever we see an empty place, or hole,... we're driven to put something in it.

That's the box where thinking begins. :)

The only place, or "state", where thought doesn't exist or can't exist is called "yoga nidra". It's the silence after the M in AUM... but there's really nothing to describe the experience, or anything to describe... it's a total empty void. It's easier to say what it isn't than what it is. It isn't meditation, it isn't dreaming, it isn't thinking,... it just isn't.

It has been thought of as conscious deep sleep.

And yet, it is the Non-Place of Origin of the American Bladesmith Society, Inc..:)

Good science continually grows and crawls out of it's own box... it's an ongoing thing. :)

Actually, science creeps along slowly. Data is collected and interpreted in light of the existing box. The box is acceptable until the rare person comes along who recognizes that the box is no longer correct. A new box is then developed.

We scientists call that a paradigm shift.

Actually, science creeps along slowly. Data is collected and interpreted in light of the existing box. The box is acceptable until the rare person comes along who recognizes that the box is no longer correct. A new box is then developed.

We scientists call that a paradigm shift.

Great point!

… And anyone or anything that can continually make that shift, without losing momentum but rather gaining momentum, deserves a lot of credit. That is spiraling outwards,… and the part of science I like best.

It’s the curiosity, imagination, creativity, courage and the playfulness of it!

That’s real science!

Back