Third Grismo Norseman

Never liked them but bought one,unused,like new from the original owner and I wasn't impressed.Days passed by and while I was thinking to sell it or not,Norseman started growing on me.It is a great user and I will be definitely keeping it.I paid 650 for it.

The thing with the Norseman is, it is really overpriced for the materials they gave it to you. But, i was willing to support our local knifemaker, therefore i bought one 2 years ago at $900. Shame, they charged us, canucks, in USD.

Never could warm up to the Grimsmo batarang blade shape and wonky grind, at any price point. The other model they came out with, the normal useful knife looking sort of thing, I could see buying one of those, though.

I can't comment on the demand for Grimsmo knives. However, I wanted one a few years ago. I signed up a few times but never got selected. I felt like it was a game versus a purchase. Lost interest. Meanwhile, I was able to buy some great knives by other makers through normal purchase methods. Maybe other people had a similar experience and just moved on.

Scott

They started version 2 production of the Rask which interests me more than the Norseman. If their prices come down and availability goes up I'd consider getting one.

Or perhaps the Norseman with a more conventional blade profile as the handle looks similar to a Manix which I really like.

Maybe their business plan might be similar to Hinderer in the future. Different blade styles on existing platforms, once Norseman sales flatten out.

As a fellow Canadian I'm rooting for them. They come across as smart, hard working brothers that put out a good product.

That being said I'd sooner grab another Shirogorov before playing the waiting game and dishing out 900.00 USD (1200.00 CAD). The Shiro I own is pretty high on my top folders list and costs less.

Last edited:
I'd like one but can't bring myself to spend that much dough on a single knife and I think they're horrible financial investments.

This is true. I am stuck home. Came out of retirement to work full time at my old very good salary plus have Social Security and retirement funds. I am doing better than I did before I retired. We are older so we are strict about quarantining. For us, getting Covid--19 is a death sentence due to underlying medical issues. Figured that I might as well work and spend some of that extra money on things I want, but do not need. I bought 10 guitars, not inexpensive ones either. I bought a computerized telescope which I have yet to even assemble. Also a few other custom knives that I always wanted. My wife got a new kitchen with new appliances and new washer and dryer. Also got a new SUV fully loaded. I think it even drives itself to the gas station for a fill up. :)

Amazon is jammed up as are all the parcel delivery services because people are stuck at home and they buy things to feel better or to have something to do. I just bought a Ukulele the other day. What? I have no idea? Just saw it and figured I never held one before so I went for it.

Of course, with any expensive item, what is expensive is very subjective. For me, a Norseman is not a major expense because I am 69, well established in my industry and a 25% partner is a very successful business. For some it is a major expense. I remember those days when I had bill collectors calling me every half hour and we were worth whatever the resale price of our meager furniture was worth. Now we and others like us figure that we cannot take it with us so might as well spend it on fancy cars, houses and hobbies. For others, their money is better spent on more practical things. I remember those days.

Funny about the value of knives. When I was a young man with limited funds I bought mass produced knives from Spyderco, Puma, Cold Steel and others. Not expensive at the time, but now worth a lot more than they cost me. No because they are rare. The models are still being made. It is because of the steel used and their rarity. Look at the old car market. They are worth a lot more than they originally cost despite some of the models still being produced like the Mustang. I have a SpyderCo Delica that was made for knife stores to imprint their company names on. All metal. Worth more than the few bucks I spent on it. Back then the knife community hated the Spyderco knives with the big hole in the blade, must like firearms enthusiast hated the Glocks because they were made of "Plastic". It really does not matter if a lot were made. What matters as far as price is concerned is home many are left to buy at the time you want to buy them. I know that my work or EDC knives were tossed out after a few years of hard use.

I would love to agree with you, but the truth is that the luxury goods market is through the roof right now.
People have been unable to travel. So instead are using that vacation money to buy stuff. It may be hard to believe, but try and buy any Rolex stainless steel sports model, or one of the high-end ladies fashion handbags. That stuff is damn near impossible to get at retail prices, and secondary cost can be at a 100% markup.

Knives are definitely a luxury product. Especially once you pass the $100 threshold. Knives from top tier makers like Mayo, Rexford, Southard, Carey etc. are still selling for top dollar.
Considering all that, you should still be unable to buy any style Norseman new from the maker. Not only can you buy them directly from their website, but the secondary price has cooled off as well. From what I've seen, not many folks seem to be selling them for a profit like before. Regardless of materials.

DR4zhkd.jpg

Mail call this morning

I am absolutely delighted and don't have a zest of buyers remorse

They have recently periodically had inventory on they’re website also, so you don’t have to wait.

I have one and I think it’s awesome albeit somewhat overpriced.

F122CF14-CF81-44E6-A7DA-408308BBC5AD.jpeg

Last edited:
At those prices I would move to a Rockstead. I think the market for the Norseman is a bit saturated.

Back