Third Grismo Norseman

Going with this one today.

CWG07tm.jpg

I respect the hell out of the brothers and their machining skills. I like the knife and I have heard only good thing about the action and stuff. Even the blade shape, I actually like. The one thing that I don't like, is the mill lines in the blade. I don't like that they are there, and hate the size variation (how closer to the spine the lines are close together, then as it gets to the edge, the lines spread out). If it has to have the lines, I would have preferred something more uniform myself.

Having said that, would still love to have one just for the action, machine work, and to support the bros.

It doesn’t take long for the clique to show up in force to state their royal consensus on what knives are and are not worth of their approval.

Funny how it’s always “just people showing off and selling on Instagram” when it’s a knife that doesn’t get clique approval. I guess we can’t all be so fancy as to comb our hair and fork some snacks with the almighty “GEC Beer and Sausage” :rolleyes:

I don't consider it an issue of "approval" for me as much as an issue of value. A knife made to an extreme level of build quality with an amazing action made of good materials like the Norseman is very much worth $650 in my eyes. When you consider all the cost going into making it on top of the other the overhead for the Grimsmo bothers it makes sense. They produce much smaller numbers of knives compared to Spyderco or ZT so the per unit cost will be higher. That said, I dont feel that knife is worth a near $1000 makers price. That is similar to the table price you pay for many makers hand ground customs, potentially with higher end materials. But that is MY opinion, and only my opinion on the Norseman. Who am I to say that you shouldn't pay what you want to get a knife you love? All I'm saying is that I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean anyone else shouldn't.

How do the blades hold up? Blade HQ charts show CPM 154 as fairly mediocre for such a pricy knife. I have no experience with it.

I wouldn't pick one up if I found it on the ground. It's THAT ugly to me..

But hey, what ever floats your boat!

:D

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about them - I like 'em.

It's my money and I'll spend/waste it however I want. Thank you.

Here's another.

rcX4dsW.jpg
That’s beautiful, did you have is anodized or did it come like that? I have mine out for some ano

I think they're kinda cool and I can still see a lot of function in the unusual blade shape. Would be good for draw cuts and you get some belly on the secondary edge. The issue I have with them, and this goes for any very low volume/availability custom type knife, is that for me knives are to be usable tools that are prone to eventual wear or potential damage and with that I like for them to be easily replaceable or repairable. And you don't get that with a Norseman.

I get a custom Pena for less than that and Grimsmos are ugly AF IMO.
A knife you can’t stab with!!???

I see this as a cult following and conversation piece. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't interest me.
I'll stick to my own weird shit, thank you.

you know what I meant, with enough force I can stab with a 2x4 :rolleyes:
is not very "pointy" for certain jobs where a tip is necessary.
Did I mention is ugly AF? :D
oh and the recurve makes it not so good for food prep.
so its sharp, its a blade but not great for normal knife chores :p
It’s funkiness is its allure!

Pretty funny stuff here. Great read, a year after the banter. (Mine's engraved July 2021 with an Aug birthday...Close enough.)

I think maybe the blade shape and size put some potential buyers off, if I were shopping for a folder in the 1k price range I probably 99% of the time would not choose a norseman. I'd head more in the Rockstead or Shiro direction, possibly another CRK with fancy scales and engraving, or a WH if I can be bothered to custom fit some PB washers.
Not saying the Norse is bad, just it's ... odd, so maybe more niche appeal, where as a classic WH CRK or Rockstead is more universal appeal, with the tried and true profiles and "look"
Just my 2 pence.
EDIT: I didn't know this was a necro, curse you ColdDesert and your sorcery.

The thing with the Norseman is, it is really overpriced for the materials they gave it to you. But, i was willing to support our local knifemaker, therefore i bought one 2 years ago at $900. Shame, they charged us, canucks, in USD.

that was the final reason I said no way... if we're both cdn, then it should be simple - and yeah, cnc is not my be-all-end-all

Back