This may interest some of you

<i>But, <B>WHY?!?</B></i>

Why would you want to take your knife and beat it against a stone? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that that was an altogether <i>useless</i> test/experiment. Of course you are going to do some damage to your blade if you beat the edge against a rock. Common sense should tell you that.

:(

As someone who's about to receive his Strider, I'm quite discouraged (disturbed to be exact) by your photo. No doubt objective. I thought the Strider guys demonstrate these on a regular basis during their road shows? Maybe your experiments are much, much more extreme. Poor WB.

Maybe others have something to say...

If you are in a situation where you are forced to resort to whacking away at the stone with your knife, I think you have a lot more to worry about than maintaining it's edge. This isn't some kind of lightsaber! It is only a very sturdy, durable, well-made <i>knife</i>! Use it as such... dig with it, chop vegetation with it, cook, clean and dress with it, pry things open with it - and if you've <i>really</i> screwed up, defend yourself with it. And above all... Take care of it!

Care for your gear and it will take care of you. If you're digging out a fighting hole with it and "encounter" some rocks, don't be surprised when you find that afterwards it isn't as pretty and sharp as it was before. If you have to wedge it into a doorjamb and use it as a prybar, you can be confident that it won't bend or snap, but the edge may get dinged as well as the finish. Also, after exposure to salt water, rinse it off and wipe it down with tuff-cloth or a similar product. Keep some in your pack if necessary.

Any well made tool of this nature is designed to be able to stand up to a higher level of abuse and neglect. Lord knows they need to be durable. But this kind of testing strikes me as somewhat asinine. Just because it <i><B>can</B></i> handle the abuse and neglect doesn't mean that you should do that unnecessarily. Please don't take this wrong. I have a tendency for bluntness sometimes. I just see this kind of test and say to myself, "There goes several hundred dollars and hard work... unnecessarily pi$$ed away!"

It´s a Cliff Stamp review... :p

I think it says it all. I can´t remember any knife that have made it through his extensive testing, ever. He always seem to test every knife beyond it´s limit. I like to read his reviews because you can get a feel for how much beating a reviewed blade can take until it fails.

If I am not mistaken there are many different kinds/qualities of concrete. :)

/Colinz

Ryan,

Okay...I think I get his point. If Assassin were stalking me and wearing his new concrete body armor I would STILL have 25 shots with every knife angle I'm comfortable with and still be able to drive the WB into a rock.

Sorry Assassin...for the reference, had to use someone everyone was familiar with.:)

A couple of tips for you sports fans out there:
1) Dont EVER take a knife to a gun fight!
2) Dont EVER give your knife to Cliff to test it!
:p:p:p
:)

:eek: :eek:

This is what happens when we allow children or "special people" to handle adult toys...I mean tools. :p

For his next trick, Cliffy will attempt to slice and dice hostiles with a jackhammer!! :D

I think that's pure BS. All of Cliff's reviews that include a Busse knife will find any other knife performing badly. Cliff even rated a knife that Busse had never sold and he had never seen above all other folders in the world. How about that?

I know the Strider blade geometry and I especially know Paul Bos heat treating. There is no way a thin a$$ 52100 blade like that is going to weather treatment that breaks Paul's ATS-34 with Strder edge geometry. No WAY!

But hey, with no witnesses I guess you can say anything you want...

Hey Joe. . .do you sell any concrete body armor, i'd really like to test it out.
just kidding, no need to apologize to anybody. everyone likes to pick on
girls.

I have a Strider on the way, and that test Cliff put it through seemed rough.

-A.S.S.

Guys,

What is with all the belly-aching? Boo-hoo Cliff chipped the edge of a Strider Model WB.

Was the failure catastrophic? Nope. Can the knife still perform? Yep. Is it surprising that, after 25 heavy chops to a cinder block, the edge suffered a little? Um, nope. Will YOUR Strider Knife perform under pressure? I'll bet it will.

Is cinder block chopping something a NORMAL person would do with a knife? Nope. Is Cliff normal? NOPE!!! (I think he used to beat up grizzlies when he was a kid.) ;)

When Mick and Duane feel it's necessary to jump in and discredit what Cliff's doing, THEN you'll know he's crossed the line. However, it seems like they'd think it was pretty cool that the edge held up for the FIRST 25 chops--and would still work.

Just relax and enjoy Cliff's reviews. Be thankful that he's risking his own life and limb and not someone else's.

Originally posted by Brian_T
Just relax and enjoy Cliff's reviews.

Can't do that. It's the same kind of BS that lets folks say that guns kill. What Cliff suggested can cost Strider business for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of their knives, but has a lot to do with Cliff being in bed with one of their competitors, Busse.

If you read up further, you'll see that one recent purchaser of a Strider was getting cold feet for all the wrong reasons.

This is business. Some don't care and that's fine. Some care and need to know the facts. I build performance blades myself, know where Cliff is coming from, and know that Strider blades are above what was represented. Screw with one of us and you have all of us to deal with...

I'm pretty sure Mayo and Simonich would agree with me.

While NOT agreeing with Mr Hossom; I will say that Cliff has in the past shown his complete lack of scientific accreditation and adherence to any form of logic. Basically, he tries to show how smart he is and ends up proving the exact opposite. :)

I don't think Cliff's motives are really quite so dubious. As a matter of fact, I've got it on good authority that he actually LIKES his Strider Knives. Can you blame him?

:)

Chopping concrete, ho hum, yawn and all that good stuff. Regaurdless of how any knife fares I fail to see what good the test is. I also fail to see how a knifemaker can learn anything sending a knife to Dr Destructo! If I am going to take a knife to failure, I am going to do it my self so I can personallly what it takes to make it fail.

Yup Jerry, I agree with you!

Last time I was at Home Depot or Lowes I failed to locate the Strider Concrete Cutter that I've heard about, is one avalible on this thread? What is the cost and what about wait time?
OH whats that...They don't make concrete cutters!?! Only combat knives!?! Well that would explain the problem: wrong tool being used for the wrong job.
Kinda like blameing Ford for the damage to my truck if I used it for a wrecking ball,saying it should have been able to do it.:rolleyes:

www.Kobrabag.com

I just wish I had pockets as deep as Cliff's. Must be nice to destroy a $400 knife without thinking twice about it. I hope no one gives him a prototype to evaluate or a one of a kind piece. just a shame to see so many knives destroyed for no good reason. :rolleyes:

Back