This must be where the DEKs hang out, eh?

the more i hold and handle the 2 and 3, the more i appreciate that they're still variations on the perfection of the 1. Especially when the 1 is swedged.

I do still feel that the DEK1 encompasses all the attributes one would want in a general all-purpose EDC blade.

yac5VXT.jpg

I used to have a DEK1, but traded it for an FK2. No regrets there. Got a DEK3 on the way, but damned if I'm not startng to feel the itch to buy a DEK1 and DEK2.
I blame you enablers around here! I also thank you! Lol

Between the DEK1 and DEK2, I prefer the DEK2's feel in-hand due to the additional width from a wider blade. So, when are you getting that DEK2? :p

Between the DEK1 and DEK2, I prefer the DEK2's feel in-hand due to the additional width from a wider blade. So, when are you getting that DEK2? :p
Sigh.....probably once one is available. I might be on thin ice right now though. I just bought the DEK3 and a Reaper......and some power tools...so yeah. I guess we'll see how soon a DEK2 is available and how fast my bank account can recover!

Sigh.....probably once one is available. I might be on thin ice right now though. I just bought the DEK3 and a Reaper......and some power tools...so yeah. I guess we'll see how soon a DEK2 is available and how fast my bank account can recover!
Don't feel bad. I'm getting my whole-house generator installed tomorrow. $$$$

Burlap and blue titanium fasteners, never would have thought about getting such a combo but, surprisingly, looks really good!

Tell me about those fine scales on the far right. Those look amazing! Where/how did you get them?

Is the DEK 3 sporting double red or the new scarlet colored scales?

I've got a DEK 1 and 2 but am waiting for a swedged DEK 2 and the DEK 3 to come in.

Indeed, it is an excellent design! Exactly what I'd EDC if I could carry a fixed blade at work.

I hope someone can share some pics of those three new scale options (if anyone has them yet), scarlet linen, blue canvas, and tri color canvas.
Like the fellas said, it's some sort of old rotted out trailer park wood.... 😁

In seriousness - though I am no expert, I think they might be Ironwood. Grain isn't as elaborate as some Ironwood I've seen but the grain, color, and texture look right. I had them included in my pre-order.

The DEK3 has double red - I'm very pleased with them, they look terrific.

Isn't that top swedge seeeeeeexy?! The knife feels like it floats in your hand.

I hope you land one, my friend. I think those who sleep on the 3 will definitely regret it somewhere down the line. In the meantime though, you have that knockout, Gretchen, the belle of the ball.

I own a lot of desert ironwood slabs, and as handles on knives. I've never seen any that light in color. FWIW, looks like something like orange osange to me. Regardless, they sure are pretty!

Hey Dek-0 wants to join in the fun too 😁
View attachment 2179674

Now THAT looks like desert ironwood. And absolutely beautiful.

I own a lot of desert ironwood slabs, and as handles on knives. I've never seen any that light in color. FWIW, looks like something like orange osange to me. Regardless, they sure are pretty!

It very well could be - though it seems awfully dark for Osage, at least Osage that hasn't had any exposure yet. I only have a couple pieces to compare it too though.

This is a comparison of the Osage pieces I have versus the CPK set. Left to right, dark to light. Very possible - it has some lovely chatoyance to it that I can't capture in a pic.

EuTFnmx.jpg

Here next to a set verified Ironwood:

e6IS0qE.jpg

EpFDgVL.jpg

My DEK3 made its first cut today. It slew an orange and I was so enamored with the cuts that I slew another, even though having two dead orange was a bit excessive. I then murdered a couple of chicken breasts for wraps and salads and again marveled at its cutting ability.

This very well may become my general go-to kitchen companion. Despite having an excellent set of kitchen knives, I enjoy using my other cutlery in the kitchen due to wanting to create opportunities to use my knives. This DEK excels in this environment, such a pleasure to cut and slice with it.

Ij7t69F.jpg

That middle one is neato w/ acid wash+satin grinds? What's AfBW? (don't laugh...I've only been here since Feb 🤓 )

Middle one: ECAM scales and yes the blade is acid washed flats with vertical satin grind finish which is a hallmark of Mark Scrimgeour. AfBW is an acronym which I made up; it's not official CPK lingo. It stands for African BlackWood which is my play on the WENDY joke (Welcome to Jamaica and have a Nice Day ;) )

This is a comparison of the Osage pieces I have versus the CPK set. Left to right, dark to light. Very possible - it has some lovely chatoyance to it that I can't capture in a pic.

EuTFnmx.jpg

e6IS0qE.jpg

EpFDgVL.jpg

I really dig their latest *Osage and IIRC, I had also asked for an extra set of DEK scales on the side, preferably in Osage, in my DEK2 / DEK3 preorder. There is a mutant Osage set of scales which Nathan had made but the reason that I call it mutant is because the block was sent to him by my friend Justin. Some lucky undeserving SOB with a horseshoe up his arse ended up with this unique EDC1:

img_0837-jpg.760421

ETA: when I added the asterisk, I meant the latest Osage which came from Nathan's aunt's orchard. I think that Gus has a few of those and his profile photo is one. I also wonder if your extra DEK scales are cocobolo?

Last edited:

EuTFnmx.jpg

e6IS0qE.jpg

EpFDgVL.jpg
I’m amazed how the CPK crew can cut, mill, and shape these absolutely gorgeous wood handles. Really good stuff!

EuTFnmx.jpg

e6IS0qE.jpg

EpFDgVL.jpg
Looks quite a bit darker to me in those pics than in the OP. Still not sure it's desert ironwood, but now I think no way it's osage orange.

Here's my big swinging DEK from an earlier pre-order (I think).

View attachment 2181071

ECAM on a DEK1 really give it an air of sophistication. I can't pinpoint whether it's the blade shape, the intricate ECAM fiber pattern/coloring - probably both. I have a DEK1 in ECAM and a couple of non-knut people I've shown it to have asked "oOo, what's that handle?".

ECAM on a DEK1 really give it an air of sophistication. I can't pinpoint whether it's the blade shape, the intricate ECAM fiber pattern/coloring - probably both. I have a DEK1 in ECAM and a couple of non-knut people I've shown it to have asked "oOo, what's that handle?".
Agree. I usually go for tongue depressors or tornado-salvaged Ikea remnants, but I pre-ordered my DEK3 in ECAM to match the one I posted above. Thought I ordered satin grind again, but I botched that part. 🤬 Still, I'm looking forward to it . . . (I went for magnacut = last) and I'm jealy seeing everyone posting theirs, but enjoying the pics. 👍

Back