This SNARK has teeth! *(...and chronic halitosis.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love me some boiled linseed oil for setting axe heads - anything i buy gets tested and adjusted and soaked... anything i rehandle gets multiple wedges and soaking... at least 3-4 days, a week if i can, then a nice long drip dry. i leave the oil on the metal. chopping will remove it from faces/edge anyway... and the other bits, well, it protects pretty nicely for a long time, and keeps all the water out of the head (and wood). no dry rot. no slippage - the oil makes that wood SWELL. locked on. good times.

i love me some boiled linseed oil for setting axe heads - anything i buy gets tested and adjusted and soaked... anything i rehandle gets multiple wedges and soaking... at least 3-4 days, a week if i can, then a nice long drip dry. i leave the oil on the metal. chopping will remove it from faces/edge anyway... and the other bits, well, it protects pretty nicely for a long time, and keeps all the water out of the head (and wood). no dry rot. no slippage - the oil makes that wood SWELL. locked on. good times.

Great info, thanks man. Looks like I've got a fun little project. I suppose ill have to post a pic or two once she's up to snuff

Nce lookin hawk there psy. Did you have any of the same issues with the haft or looseness of the bit?
Yeah it was a bit loose. When I stripped it and refinished the handle I just beat it on real good. It hasnt been loose since. I did not put the screw back in.

Yeah it was a bit loose. When I stripped it and refinished the handle I just beat it on real good. It hasnt been loose since. I did not put the screw back in.

Good to hear, that was my plan of action. Once it snugs up I think just using it will ensure a tightened fit. Plus, I'm interesting in the soaking bladite and others suggested; should be a great finish and that added bit of swell to keep the bit locked.

What's the benefit of "boiled" linseed oil?

IMAG0810.jpg

I got one.

Where did the pictures from the SHOT show end up at? Was hoping to see a BK10.

What's the benefit of "boiled" linseed oil?

it actually dries in something like "real time" as opposed to weeks/years...

most of them have "heavy metals" to help them dry "faster" ... so wear gloves when using common varieties, unless it's marked "food safe" (ie: don't use it on utensils)

Good to hear, that was my plan of action. Once it snugs up I think just using it will ensure a tightened fit. Plus, I'm interesting in the soaking bladite and others suggested; should be a great finish and that added bit of swell to keep the bit locked.

a 'hawk is expected to come loose when you throw it sometimes. just invert and bang the top of the haft on a stump.
The axe is the evolution of the hawk in part due to the more reliable head attachment mechanism, but the 'hawk is often better suited for throwing for the same reason.

and BURN YOUR LINSEED OIL RAGS!!
don't throw 'em in a trashcan and cover them up. They are extraordinarily combustible and can easily ignite unexpectedly. Googley.

a 'hawk is expected to come loose when you throw it sometimes. just invert and bang the top of the haft on a stump.
The axe is the evolution of the hawk in part due to the more reliable head attachment mechanism, but the 'hawk is often better suited for throwing for the same reason.

Makes sense. I was aware they were made to be thrown but never really had an intention on doing so with mine. I just love the look/size/weight of the Trail Hawk, et al. and intend on bringing it along for lightchopping, brush work, etc. Not into throwing. Maybe I'll chuck it once in a while for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back