Thompson Vaquero : Why not more popular ?

This is one of most deadly sd folding knives ive seen.Blade shape is excellent and I have couple of vaqueros that use often and they slash and stab very well.If you dont like serrations you can take them off with belt sander with no problems.

True enough. I did that on my old El Lobo (early version of the medium Vaquero) after having it for a while. However, I'd rather be able to buy one without serrations than have to go this route. You do lose a small amount of width in the blade when removing the serrations, so it's like your brand new knife has already been re-beveled a bunch of times. I got the Lobo cheap and didn't mind experimenting with it, but on a new $100 knife I'd rather not.

Id keep serrated one for defense ,and use plain edged one for other cutting.Their serrations are impossible to sharoen but when new they will go through anything with ease and cut meat and leather way better than sharp plain edge.All in all plain or serrated this Lynn Thompson vaquero is one of best if not the best folding knife for sd.Strong and devastating.

Ps.El lobo variant was awesome,recurved short serrated blade in light package.I regret buying one of those.Better than all tacticool expert made blade shapes for specialized sd knives.All those voyager series Japan made knives without liners and backlocks with vaquero,clip point and tanto blades were excellent easy to carry choices for edc and sd or any task.Different sizes and nice hollow grinds were awesome.

I have one with a plain edge and I love it. Not as an edc because of the blade shape being pretty job specific but as an SD last ditch backup after my main method of defense is no longer viable.

You have a regular plain edge Vaquero. The Thompson Vaquero is a special limited edition and only comes with a serrated blade. The regular Vaqueros came in either plain or serrated blades.

I would add it cost a bit more than the standard model, and that might have turned a few people off.
For sure ! Supposed to a substantial upgrade in steel , plus DLC coating but it's still a Voyager, for which people were used to paying a lot less .

I know this is an old thread... But i was handling my Thompson Vaquero the other day, and i realized it is my favorite folder. It opens up so nice and smooth, and it handles well. Nice looking too with the black DLC coating. I like it so much that i bought a new XL Vaquero in AUS 10 so i would have to beat on the Thompson. Who knows, they may be collector's items some day. And Cold Steel's Aus 10 is getting good reviews.

I know this is an old thread... But i was handling my Thompson Vaquero the other day, and i realized it is my favorite folder. It opens up so nice and smooth, and it handles well. Nice looking too with the black DLC coating. I like it so much that i bought a new XL Vaquero in AUS 10 so i would have to beat on the Thompson. Who knows, they may be collector's items some day. And Cold Steel's Aus 10 is getting good reviews.
AUS-10 is the Japanese version of 440C it’s been around at least 30 - 35 plus years? Good steel! I’ve worked with it and use 440C in a few of my own blades currently. If you like the knife? Enjoy!

I'm late to the show as usual.... but I JUST got the itch for a pair of these last week, kinda starting to be a bit more difficult to track down now days, but I was still able to find a pair for 90.00 each..... they arrived today, I expected them to be the last of the bunch and thus numbered pretty high, which may or may not be an issue for some collectors .....

imagine my surprise when I opened the boxes and found I had received # 0028 and 0046 ..............

I swapped the pocket clip side on #28, and installed Snaggleteefs on both..... did my standard minor bend to pocket clips so they will actually go into and out of a pocket.... snapped both open on the draw, one in each hand.....and was overwhelmed with the feeling of being a bad ass LOL

I also don't understand why they are not more popular.... but I'm glad to have been able to get my 2 when I did. I've been going on a tear buying up all the CS CTS-XHP I can get my hands on...I'm a big fan of the steel and I honestly believe it will be considered CS's new Carbon5 in the future with folks actively tracking it down..../shrug

As a side note.... for what it's worth, I'm speaking with Rob over at Snaggletooth.... and there are Karambit ring backspacer replacements in the works for XL Voyagers....

That should add enough real estate to the end of the knife to facilitate a more rapid draw, and with the Snaggletooth deployment stud..... I seriously believe that makes the LT Vaquero THE SD folder to own......at least until the XL Kris gets the upgrade treatment

and I hate to even think of how much I'd pay for an XL voyager Kris upgraded to G-10, serrated, and done in a full black out like the limited edition Rajah was.....with CTS-XHP steel, Triad lock....just take my money already!!!

The place I ordered from, said they had 2 more.... I'm tempted to buy em also and see what the numbers are on those, and keep the 2 lowest for the collection, and carry the 2 higher ones...... but not sure I need 4 of them.... jeez LOL

anywho... you guys be good, mostly checked in to ponder still being able to score a 28 and 46.......who'd a thunk it?

( ugh... fingerprints! )

Last edited:
I'm late to the show as usual.... but I JUST got the itch for a pair of these last week, kinda starting to be a bit more difficult to track down now days, but I was still able to find a pair for 90.00 each..... they arrived today, I expected them to be the last of the bunch and thus numbered pretty high, which may or may not be an issue for some collectors .....

imagine my surprise when I opened the boxes and found I had received # 0028 and 0046 ..............

I swapped the pocket clip side on #28, and installed Snaggleteefs on both..... did my standard minor bend to pocket clips so they will actually go into and out of a pocket.... snapped both open on the draw, one in each hand.....and was overwhelmed with the feeling of being a bad ass LOL

I also don't understand why they are not more popular.... but I'm glad to have been able to get my 2 when I did. I've been going on a tear buying up all the CS CTS-XHP I can get my hands on...I'm a big fan of the steel and I honestly believe it will be considered CS's new Carbon5 in the future with folks actively tracking it down..../shrug

As a side note.... for what it's worth, I'm speaking with Rob over at Snaggletooth.... and there are Karambit ring backspacer replacements in the works for XL Voyagers....

That should add enough real estate to the end of the knife to facilitate a more rapid draw, and with the Snaggletooth deployment stud..... I seriously believe that makes the LT Vaquero THE SD folder to own......at least until the XL Kris gets the upgrade treatment

and I hate to even think of how much I'd pay for an XL voyager Kris upgraded to G-10, serrated, and done in a full black out like the limited edition Rajah was.....with CTS-XHP steel, Triad lock....just take my money already!!!

The place I ordered from, said they had 2 more.... I'm tempted to buy em also and see what the numbers are on those, and keep the 2 lowest for the collection, and carry the 2 higher ones...... but not sure I need 4 of them.... jeez LOL

anywho... you guys be good, mostly checked in to ponder still being able to score a 28 and 46.......who'd a thunk it?

( ugh... fingerprints! )

Smokin' deal! :thumbsup:

Serrations don't bother me on an SD folder, because by my thinking, no one should find themselves in situations where they'll need to use their up to and beyond dullness. If you live/frequent an area where your blade goes dull from usage in actual self defense incidents-- then you'd better move! :eek:

If you practice with your SD carry, buy a second one-- just like you did. But keep your actual carry blade at zero usage and peak sharpness. So sharpening serrations kinda becomes a moot point for me.

And for any gun-only SD guys who argues carrying a blade is idiotic for SD...I hike public lands where carrying firearms is a serious crime. And I know it's more likely that I'll run into a gung-ho park ranger than an animal-- on all 4's or two-legged variety-- that's hell bent to do me harm. So that leaves me playing the odds and weighing the choice of going unarmed or packing my XL Vaquero...that's the definition of a no-brainer, for me.

Thanks LT and CS for great utility and peace of mind in this model. :thumbsup:

And for any gun-only SD guys who argues carrying a blade is idiotic for SD...I hike public lands where carrying firearms is a serious crime. And I know it's more likely that I'll run into a gung-ho park ranger than an animal-- on all 4's or two-legged variety-- that's hell bent to do me harm. So that leaves me playing the odds and weighing the choice of going unarmed or packing my XL Vaquero...that's the definition of a no-brainer, for me.

Not every problem has a shooting solution. :)

A karambit ring would be great on this blade. I usually make my own karambit ring from a key ring ...

Hawgsnawt, I'm sure you've checked if your Thompsons are legit...but are you absolutely sure?

Norwolf

they came from a VERY reputable national knife seller.... I've not checked, but it would absofrikkinlootely AMAZE me if there was an issue coming from these guys....

I JUST googled how to tell if they were fakes, and could not find anything.... you have a link to a way to tell?.... I'd be most appreciative so I can check before my return window closes

they DID have to track them down from a smaller supplier though, who had 4 left, they got all 4 so I know they have 2 more.... but who knows if his were legit...

I dunno though man, comparing them to my other CS stuff, the screws look right, handle texture seems right, coating seems right vrs my other DLC stuff....boxes seem right....

I wish they would offer these with the wave feature.

Back