Thompson Vaquero : Why not more popular ?

I love the whole package except for the serrations. I’m a plain edge guy. If they made a PE version, I’d probably pick one up.

Last edited:
One of the issues with the Thompson Voyager that hurts its sales is the serration pattern. That "grip and rip" pattern is the best there is for cutting flesh. But it is hopeless for anything else. It won't even cut cardboard without snagging and tearing. If they made the pattern like Benchmade and Spyderco it would be a little worse for self defense (but still great) but a whole lot better for everything else. Other guys' serrations even cut wood beautifully. For everyday carry, the knife must have some utility as well. The market for those who carry two or more knives is too small.

One of the issues with the Thompson Voyager that hurts its sales is the serration pattern. That "grip and rip" pattern is the best there is for cutting flesh. But it is hopeless for anything else. It won't even cut cardboard without snagging and tearing. If they made the pattern like Benchmade and Spyderco it would be a little worse for self defense (but still great) but a whole lot better for everything else. Other guys' serrations even cut wood beautifully. For everyday carry, the knife must have some utility as well. The market for those who carry two or more knives is too small.
I never had any trouble slicing cleanly with factory sharp Cold Steel serrations , but sharpening them is definitely a PITA .

My kitchen serrated knives stay sharper way longer than the PE. For utility I carry mostly PE, but for the kitchen or self defense I have no problem with SE. Along with my CS I have the Civilian, Harpy, Merlin, Matriarch, Spyderhawk and recently the Lil'Matriarch to rotate in for self protection, wish CS made these too. Most days though it is the XL Voyager Tanto PE.

Back