Those who work in office, what do you use your knife for?

There's been a lot of EDC posts and pictures of what you all use your knives for. However, one thing I have noticed is that many of you work in industries where knives are used much more frequently and is a much more important tool for your job (first responder, public safety, law enforcement, electrician, etc).

So this post is more of just trying to get ideas on where to use my knives :p. I work in the tech field and as a result, basically 99% of my day is sitting in an office working in front of a computer. But regardless, I like my knives and I want to carry them around and use them :D. One issue though, as a result of working in an office, I don't have any real need to have a knife and I don't find myself in many situations where I needing a knife.

So for those who work in an office setting all day, what do you use your knives for?

I've usually got more of a manual job, but during the summer holidays I do some office work, this summer included.

So far I've:
cut down some boxes.
cut my nails.
cleaned my nails.
opened some letters.

If nothing else it's a nice opportunity to try out some of my smaller, thinner knives. :)

I've usually got more of a manual job, but during the summer holidays I do some office work, this summer included.

So far I've:
cut down some boxes.
cut my nails.
cleaned my nails.
opened some letters.

If nothing else it's a nice opportunity to try out some of my smaller, thinner knives. :)
Half of your use is for fingernails, you need a manicure kit bro

When I worked on the manufacturing floor, I used my EDC quite a lot and often for some rather abrasive work. Now that the majority of my time is in a chair, my uses, and knife type, are different.

There's a lot of this...

ZFlwL7v.jpg

SLst0ES.jpg

In addition to much of what's already been stated, I'll open snacks in plastic packages by gliding an edge through it, to avoid the crackling and crinkling that can annoy people.

My metabolism is ridiculous and I need to eat constantly lol

I use mine for opening boxes, snack bags and cutting food. Fruit get murdered quite a bit at my desk.

I work in an office but I get my hands dirty when I can, mostly opening mail though, packages + boxes, cutting boxes to make stuff inside easily accessible, plastic packaging i usually use scissors for that though if they're handy since I don't care about em

I normally work in a cube farm, though I'm working from home during the covid thing.
I use a knife to open bags of chips and such. Also for opening boxes, odds and ends.
When at work I'm limited to knives with a 2" blade, so my most frequent carry is a Spyderco Manbug.

We don't have an IT dept in our building, so I'm the IT/fix-it guy many days.
- I use the screwdrivers + pliers on my SAK + MT (I always carry both at work) quite a bit to open computer cases and adjust loose drawers on desks.
- I've used the parcel hook on a SAK to fish many a wire out of a wall too. Especially when the old analog phone systems were in use.
- The SAK pin can be used to adjust/reset settings on computer gear.
- As a recent bifocal glass wearer, I use my magnifying glass on the SAK quite a bit too.

I use the knife for opening packages and boxes too. I rarely use my knives for food at work.

When I worked in an office, my knife was there for whatever needed cutting. No big thing.

Back