Thoughts on a Suga variant

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just can't decide which of these two I like better. I suppose now might be a good time to figure out which is better for use and for everyday carry.

oooh....I like the top one!

Suggestion: maybe a small guard, between the handle and cho, only on the bottom, not the top. Just to protect the fingers, so they do not slip onto the blade.

And here are a couple of cul4u01 variants; essentially the same, but with either a separate guard or an enlarged choil.

Hmm, try a less exaggerated choil or a thinner guard. I like the idea, but those seem a little large.

I really like the top one. I know a buddy of mine uses his as a field skinning balde, maybe a 1/2" to 3/4" of jimping on the spine near the handle for more control.

I really like the top one. I know a buddy of mine uses his as a field skinning balde, maybe a 1/2" to 3/4" of jimping on the spine near the handle for more control.

You know, I'd been considering jimping too. Though I'll admit to not having known the term until you used it.

So of all the different versions, I have to say that I like the top of each of these best:

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/kron650/media/SugaVariants4_zps2f9c8e96.jpeg.html

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/kron650/media/SugaVariants2_zps89fdad3b.jpeg.html

Last edited:
image.jpg
This is where my mind went with the increased curve idea-a little more 19th century arc to the spine. The standalone scales and integral guard are how I would do it, were I to go a Kami-ing.

The two favorites with jimping (2/3")

View attachment 473938
This is where my mind went with the increased curve idea-a little more 19th century arc to the spine. The standalone scales and integral guard are how I would do it, were I to go a Kami-ing.

That does look good, and I agree on the standalone scales and integral guard. I think the kami would shape the tang so that it has the guard drawn by KP513 so that it's not just wood guarding my fingers.

However I think I prefer the top knife of the two KP513 posted just now. Though I do like how your design gets the tip more in line for thrusts. Yet I like the straight spine of the others, which directly conflicts with getting that tip in line. Choices, choices...

The two favorites with jimping (2/3")

I like the top one. I also like how JW's rendering has the point more in line for the thrusting aspect of the knife. I like the straight original spine, but there is something about JW's idea that's getting me interested.

Come to think about it, JW's drawing looks like a CS Espada Folder, but in a fixed knife configuration.

I can't make up my mind, they both look awesome to me. I would buy either. As long as we don't lose the sharpened swedge on the top, it's all good to me.

So we have a Suga fanatic that likes it. What does everyone else think?

By the way, I've come to the decision that I like the KP513 version with jimping and guard best.

I have two Sugas, so I guess that qualifies me as one of the Suga fanatics. Since you ask for opinions, I like JW's design the best, and it could easily include jimping.

The blade of this knife has multiple curves on top and bottom. The handle is also nicely curved in all the proposed designs.

With all these curves, it seems to me that the straight spine in some of the designs is visually jarring, whereas JW's curved spine matches all the other parts of the knife. Also, the straight spine with the dropped blade tip makes it look like the knife is mainly good for chopping, but it's really too small for that.

I've seen some high-end folders in the expensive custom section of the Bladeforums Exchange that have shapes similar to JW's, and it would be great in a fixed blade made by HI kamis.

That's just my opinion. You should go with what appeals to you.

KP513, could you take the top model of the two with jimping and draw one up with a bit of a curve to the spine? Not a ton of curve, just enough to aline the tip with the thrust.

KP513, could you take the top model of the two with jimping and draw one up with a bit of a curve to the spine? Not a ton of curve, just enough to aline the tip with the thrust.

Did a few slight variations on this one.

I have a slightly unique piece that I got from Auntie a while back. Perhaps the grip on it is similar to what you are looking for as a starting point before curving it?

The bottom left one below the brown sheath:
20140721_140207_zpsea8c8263.jpg

Shavru - That's the "Jurali knife", right? I got one from auntie too.

KP513 - I like the top one.

Scara - I don't think it needs to be made curvier, but it's only a drawing, might be neat to see.

I think I've landed myself in a situation of too many choices. I think I have a current preference, though I've been running through preferences. So time to discuss use.

The one I think I prefer is the original jimped model with a guard. One question I've had is how much a very curved design would affect the ability to perform a backcut. I'm not the most experienced, so it's something I'm unsure of. The straight spine seems like it might be better for utilitarian uses, but as I've never done anything like skinning and preparing an animal, once again I can't say. So could people chime in on which designs seem the best for different uses? I'll be honest when this started out I was thinking primarily of a fighter that could see other use.

Did a few slight variations on this one.

I like these two.

I think the top one would primarily be for fighting, due to its slimmer blade profile; whereas, the bottom is more for multi use, including field dressing, due to its larger belly.

To make the top one more of a fighter, the head of the blade should not be curved so much, maybe bring up the belly up a notch, and elongate the tip about a 1/4" or less.

Back