Thoughts on James brand Duval Sheepsfoot in Rosewood?

Is this considered an excellent knife?

It sure is beautiful and expensive at $275. Worth it?

I yield to the greater knowledge of my forum-mates for advice.

TJB_DUVAL_ProductShots_Rosewood_002.jpg

I don't hold them in very high regard. They are not a knife maker or manufacturer, they are a knife brand, and while there are others in that vein (Cold Steel), The James Brand seems to be much more about the Brand than anything else. They're selling a lifestyle that happens to include knives. They're not terrible knives, but they're also not a particularly good value.

That makes sense when I look at their website they do seem to be going for a lifestyle. It's just that it is such a gorgeous Sheepsfoot!

Google some reviews. Plenty on YouTube too. They’re generally good.

Can anyone recommend another wood handled sheepsfoot suitable as a very nice gift (<$500)?

Can anyone recommend another wood handled sheepsfoot suitable as a very nice gift (<$500)?

GEC. Very nice knives at reasonable prices. You can get a few for $500.

Here's the 2019 Bladeforum knife in ebony (pretty sure) made by GEC.

Hard to see the beautifully marbled contrast in the wood. The second pic shows it albeit somewhat exaggerated.

Screenshot_20200506-183619_Gallery.jpg 20200506_183539.jpg

I really liked the looks of quite a few of the James brand knives, but when I looked into things further, I discovered
what a few have mentioned here; They don't make the knives, they outsource the production, they don't seem to know a whole
heck of a lot about them.

The James brand really does seem to be just a brand that groups products according to certain lifestyle parameters.
More of a " buy this, buy that, to be cool like us" sort of deal rather than a solid "we make this, here's why, here's our guarantee"

+1 for the GEC sheepsfoot
here's another suggestion:
LION-6719__39933.1573766025.jpg

not wooden handled, but that natural canvas micarta looks damn good anyway
not exactly a sheepsfoot, but this is in that same vein
OHTA-0598__95580.1544568210.jpg

Where do I find that GEC BladeForum knife?

Searched their site and couldnt find it.

The Bladeforum knives are an annual thing put together by the awesome folks over in the Traditional forum. They put up polls throughout to see what folks want then pair up with a manufacturer to do a special run.

Since it's a special run, you won't find them for sale on the manufacturer's site.

The best place to find one would be the Traditional For Sale section here on BF. It's best to "Watch" that forum. The good stuff goes very fast.

However, I'm sure there are other GECs that are close in style and materials that can be found on dealers sites.

GEC. Very nice knives at reasonable prices. You can get a few for $500.

Here's the 2019 Bladeforum knife in ebony (pretty sure) made by GEC.

Hard to see the beautifully marbled contrast in the wood. The second pic shows it albeit somewhat exaggerated.

View attachment 1335409 View attachment 1335410
That was the 2019 knife? I thought it was a two bladed thingy and that's why I lost interest :(

What I don't understand is why are all the handles are made of UN-interesting wood and materials like olivewood and ebony. Why not use woods that have complex characteristics and visual contrast? I can't find a sheep's foot knife with a gorgeous wood handle. Please help and thank you.

What I don't understand is why are all the handles are made of UN-interesting wood and materials like olivewood and ebony. Why not use woods that have complex characteristics and visual contrast? I can't find a sheep's foot knife with a gorgeous wood handle. Please help and thank you.
Did you look at the lionsteel ones? Or on the exchange here? You can also contact one of the knife makers on the exchange and see if they would make you something custom.

My thoughts are that it's not a sheeps foot blade.

It's more like a coping blade but still not because the edge isn't straight.

Back