Thoughts on the Broken Skull

About time someone modernized the pattern and made it light, but the pointless black blade and crazy name and lettering will keep me away.

About time someone modernized the pattern and made it light, but the pointless black blade and crazy name and lettering will keep me away.

It's unnecessarily black but if you haven't seen/used cold steels DLC you'll be impressed--it's pretty indestructible in my experience and looks less mall ninja and more legit. It almost gives it an heir of superiority.

It's unnecessarily black but if you haven't seen/used cold steels DLC you'll be impressed--it's pretty indestructible in my experience and looks less mall ninja and more legit. It almost gives it an heir of superiority.

+1 the new DLC finish definitely looks higher end and it takes on the satin finish surface beneath it. Look at Anthony Marfione's custom knives that are frequently featuring DLC finish on top of the mirror polished surface.
Not sure why people are so vocal about CS's black coating. ZT came out with a couple all black models like the 0450CF and 0804 and i haven't seen anyone complaining about the coating or mall ninja yet.

They could give us a choice. I do have a Recon with DLC, but I'd prefer satin, bead blast, or whatever, just not the coating. It has it's place. EDC isn't it. Let's face it NKP's are everywhere, and black blades are "scary". So are ridiculously violent like names/words. I love Cold steel's quality and Triad locks - don't get me wrong. Just saying I won't buy this knife, but if it was changed, I would. It's very nice.

54sbslv_broken_skull5_medium.jpg

This thread needed a pic.

They could give us a choice. I do have a Recon with DLC, but I'd prefer satin, bead blast, or whatever, just not the coating. It has it's place. EDC isn't it. Let's face it NKP's are everywhere, and black blades are "scary". So are ridiculously violent like names/words. I love Cold steel's quality and Triad locks - don't get me wrong. Just saying I won't buy this knife, but if it was changed, I would. It's very nice.

I can't believe you wont enjoy a knife because of other people's opinion about it. We need to change their way of thinking about these tools, not our own. Unless it scares you too...

+1 the new DLC finish definitely looks higher end and it takes on the satin finish surface beneath it. Look at Anthony Marfione's custom knives that are frequently featuring DLC finish on top of the mirror polished surface.
Not sure why people are so vocal about CS's black coating. ZT came out with a couple all black models like the 0450CF and 0804 and i haven't seen anyone complaining about the coating or mall ninja yet.

Well, to be fair, ZT hasn't made a knife I cared much about since the 0500.

Let's face it NKP's are everywhere, and black blades are "scary". So are ridiculously violent like names/words. [/IMG]

I've worked in a restaurant and a hotel where I often used the knife I had on hand, occasionally even using it to help a customer with something. Many times, my knives had black blades, sometimes they were assisteds(or autos, post-2013), sometimes they were big Cold Steel megafolders or my 5.11 karambit. I had a couple of non-knife people people say "wow nice knife" or "cool knife" or "sweet", had one guy tell me my assisted opener was cool but "better not let cops see it, switchblades aren't legal"(I explained it was assisted, not auto, so it was actually perfectly legal and he was like "oh for real? nice"), had one girl question if my Voyager XL was legal or not("Are you sure that's legal? Not sure what the rule is on knife size"), had one guy who was like "5.11 karambit, nice carry man"(he worked for 5.11 and recognized it clipped in my pocket), several other comments along those lines. You know how many times anyone was scared of them though? Not one single time.

I did once have a little old lady report me as being suspicious and possibly a troublemaker because I was sitting in my car listening to "devil's music"(it was actually Queensryche), but never once had anyone scared of my knife.

I can't believe you wont enjoy a knife because of other people's opinion about it. We need to change their way of thinking about these tools, not our own. Unless it scares you too...

I wanna be in the same room when he sees the proof vid tied to this knife.

tumblr_lvrih2mgIx1qibz0jo1_500.png

I've worked in a restaurant and a hotel where I often used the knife I had on hand, occasionally even using it to help a customer with something. Many times, my knives had black blades, sometimes they were assisteds(or autos, post-2013), sometimes they were big Cold Steel megafolders or my 5.11 karambit. I had a couple of non-knife people people say "wow nice knife" or "cool knife" or "sweet", had one guy tell me my assisted opener was cool but "better not let cops see it, switchblades aren't legal"(I explained it was assisted, not auto, so it was actually perfectly legal and he was like "oh for real? nice"), had one girl question if my Voyager XL was legal or not("Are you sure that's legal? Not sure what the rule is on knife size"), had one guy who was like "5.11 karambit, nice carry man"(he worked for 5.11 and recognized it clipped in my pocket), several other comments along those lines. You know how many times anyone was scared of them though? Not one single time.

I did once have a little old lady report me as being suspicious and possibly a troublemaker because I was sitting in my car listening to "devil's music"(it was actually Queensryche), but never once had anyone scared of my knife.

Haha troublemaker! Off topic but I used to bartend in a small town called Del Mar at a restaurant on the beach and had a lady yell at me from 300 feet away cause I was smoking a cigarette next to my car. Believe it or not you aren't allowed to smoke in the entire city of Del Mar--not even in your own home. That's your liberal elite utopia for ya!

+1 on choice. I am not concerned about the NKP's, and I know DLC is durable, but given the choice between coated and non coated, I'll take non coated every time. Its just an aesthetic thing for me, not a deal killer. I also think the lettering on the blade looks cheesy.

I hope the G-10 scales aren't thin and flimsy like the new American Lawman. If not, I'll be purchasing several of these.

I hope the G-10 scales aren't thin and flimsy like the new American Lawman. If not, I'll be purchasing several of these.

Flimsy? G-10 is a very strong material. I wouldn't worry about it. The old Voyagers, if I recall, had zytel handles without any liners, and they did just fine.

I understand that G-10 is strong, but if you thin them down enough they will significantly flex as they do on the new American Lawman.

I understand that G-10 is strong, but if you thin them down enough they will significantly flex as they do on the new American Lawman.

My American Lawman seems perfectly strong. Never had it flex at all.

Still hope they remove that writing from the Broken Skull before release. They must have noticed us complaining about it.

Flimsy? G-10 is a very strong material. I wouldn't worry about it. The old Voyagers, if I recall, had zytel handles without any liners, and they did just fine.

Not really and now they have liners. They used to flex too much and it was an issue. But G10 is another story altogether.

Still hope they remove that writing from the Broken Skull before release. They must have noticed us complaining about it.

I wonder if a Dremel will take it off? But then you would have a large scare on the blade and taking the DLC off the entire blade would really be a chore. I hope they just leave it off.

Back