Three hard use modern folders, three different brands, post your favorites.

:) Cold Steel for hard use ! Almost any with the Tri-ad lock . Just happened to have this pic with 3 , but could be many others as well . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If the op didn't t suggest 3 different brands for you favorite hard use knives, I would probably list at least two Cold Steel models , if not all three.

My current favorite work knives that represent 3 different brands are the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, the Benchmade Ritter Griptilian, and the Spyderco Manix2. Honorable mention to the CS Recon1, which could replace any of the first three.

Full disclosure: I can t beat on a 400 dollar knife, so my Sebenza and xm18 stay in their boxes. I know, crazy.

TaNKFBa.jpg
Iybq0LR.png
pOk2o1C.png
TSF Gorgon, Chaves Redencion 228 and Grayman Satu

Last edited:
My three are as follows:

Spyderco Shaman in Rex45.
My ZT 0562TI in 20cv.
My Manix 2 in S30v which I beat hard at work and it never gives up. Want to replace it though as Im just not a huge fan of the ball lock.

My favorite is a good 1095 bladed stockman.

The Steel Will Cutjack in D2.

Dont have a third.

I love a Case yellow handled Stockman (large). I carry it when I'm around my Dad. I know he likes seeing me pull that out of my pocket instead of one the many Spydercos I usually carry. I always make sure I cut something with it, too. Rope, preferably. Sharpening those knives is therapeutic, and dang will they take a keen edge.

If the op didn't t suggest 3 different brands for you favorite hard use knives, I would probably list at least two Cold Steel models , if not all three.

My current favorite work knives that represent 3 different brands are the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, the Benchmade Ritter Griptilian, and the Spyderco Manix2. Honorable mention to the CS Recon1, which could replace any of the first three.

Full disclosure: I can t beat on a 400 dollar knife, so my Sebenza and xm18 stay in their boxes. I know, crazy.
:oops: Apology to OP for exceeding thread parameters ! But IMO Cold Steel truly deserves top billing for any list of "modern hard use folders " . Especially if cost / value is a factor . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ultimate Hunter for sure and the AD-10 even more so . The 4-Max probably deserves the best of class for extreme hard use folder . The "Scout" version being much cheaper and very high value , but less premium materials .

I don't claim that Spyderco , ZT , and even Benchmade have nothin' to offer for hard use , but they tend to be very pricey for what you get compared to Cold Steel .

For what you pay for most other brands (or less) you can get the best extreme hard use folders from Cold Steel that will far out perform them . IMHO , YMMV ! :p

8E60492B-A8E1-43B6-9EBA-FE19AC2ECA01.jpeg

Medford 187DP
CRK Umnumzaan
Benchmade Bugout

Some may look askance at the Bugout for “hard use,” but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised at how much hard work this knife will do. It wouldn’t be my first (or tenth) choice to split wood for kindling, but I wouldn’t hesitate to head off into the woods with it.

I’d also add that while Medford has the reputation for making “sharpened pry bars,” this particular knife is the sharpest knife I’ve ever owned. It came out of the box literally “hair-topping” sharp.

May not be the toughest in the world but my favorite work knife is a franken Manix 2 that I bought used some years ago. The blade already had some patina and it came with black scales. To me it looks like a tool so I use it like a tool.

Back