Three-pin scales vs. single pin

I just purchased a "Schrade" Uncle Henry" 897. I don't have the knife yet but, from the seller's photos, it appears to have: 1.single pin, 2. pivot pins barely showing in the bolsters and, 3. clip blade tang marked:Schrade+USA, 897UH So-there goes my supposition that Camillus-made Uncle Henrys had tangs marked SCC (or at least that ALL of them did)! Any thoughts? Thanks.

The 898 was the Camillus knife, the 897s were all Schrade as far as I know. I've gotta go, but later I will do some comparison of the different blade shapes and swedges used.

Thanks Black Mamba. That should be very interesting. I will eagerly await your comparison. In the meantime my "apparent single-pin 897" arrived a couple of days ago but I haven't gotten around to opening it. I will do that this afternoon.

Comparing a Schrade Walden 897 (top), S.C.C. 898 (middle) and Schrade 834 (bottom).

Clips
f6VxAWi.jpg

The slender muskrat clip was standard on all 897s, while the 834 had the standard clip. The S.C.C. is different than both, being fuller top to bottom and with a shorter clip than the 897.

Sheepfoots
f0ww6GY.jpg

The 898's sheepfoot has a more gradual and rounder bend down to the tip than either Schrade.

Speys
k31Eknj.jpg

The 898 spey has a more snubbed nose, less pointy. Many Schrade spey blades almost have a recurve up to the tip, making them very pointy.

Comparing a Schrade Walden 897 (top), S.C.C. 898 (middle) and Schrade 834 (bottom).

Clips
f6VxAWi.jpg

The slender muskrat clip was standard on all 897s, while the 834 had the standard clip. The S.C.C. is different than both, being fuller top to bottom and with a shorter clip than the 897.

Sheepfoots
f0ww6GY.jpg

The 898's sheepfoot has a more gradual and rounder bend down to the tip than either Schrade.

Speys
k31Eknj.jpg

The 898 spey has a more snubbed nose, less pointy. Many Schrade spey blades almost have a recurve up to the tip, making them very pointy.

This is weird. The single pin knife I received looks like an 897, same blade and nail nick arrangement as 897, with rounded bolsters, not like an 834 with the more squared bolsters, BUT it is only 3-1/4" long. It looks virtually new but there is pitting on the outside of the the last 3/8" of both ends of the springs. Blades look like those on 897, especially the clip. Spey blade comes to a sharp point. Tang stamp is "Schrade+" over "USA 897UH" Looks like a slightly shrunken 897. Any idea what I have? Thanks.

Try Ebay number 133648605476. If that doesn't work I'll try to figure another way to get those images to you.

Might be a rebuild, definitely an S.C.C. frame. Too short for an 897, and look at the shape of the bolster.

It's an 897 clip main, but looks like it's been reshaped towards the tip, which it would need to be to fit the shorter S.C.C. frame. Maybe the original clip was broken, who knows, but it does happen. You can also barely see the clip above the frame, making the nail nick hard to access, which makes sense since the S.C.C. frame is a little deeper than an 897. I'm interested to hear your impressions after you get it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my post from Wednesday @ 9:17 (see above) was made with knife in hand. It's not extremely poorly assembled but definitely not as good as the Schrade-Walden and Schrade 897s I have. When blade is open, clip is slightly proud of back of knife and there are some slim spring-liner gaps. And then there is pitting on the spring, especially at the ends on the outside. No idea what caused that. Otherwise it looks like a brand new unsharpened knife. Strange!

Here is a Schrade (with Swinden construction) Buck 301 with a repair using through pivot pins. It was not a good repair and it didn't take Buck long to decide it was cheaper and better to just replace the knives. Having a lifetime warranty can cause problems.

301 V1,v1 repaired.jpg

Back