Three rivers manufacturing

Well i got the email that my neutron is ready to ship. Sent a payment and now the wait begins.
I really am hyped over this knife. Red g10 cpm 20cv steel and nice and thin . I believe it can give my small sebenza a fight . But being a knife guy i will just carry them both ! Three months to the day i ordered.
I will drop back in with a full report.

Jake

I’ve been carrying my CF Neutron for a little while now. The fit and finish is great. The ergos work for me. The action is smooth and hydraulic, but breaking in. The thing is a great slicer! I’ve been building some IKEA display cabinets, and as anyone who’s ever dabbled in IKEA building knows, it’s cardboard breakdown hell. The Neutron has sliced through that stuff like butter.

My only issue with the knife, and it’s a big one, are the thumbstuds. They’re shaped kind of like a toadstool and they snag on any thread they can catch in your pocket. I was working today in some old’ish jeans and the Neutron “Emerson Waved” on me at least three times. That’s a deal breaker in my book. There’s real danger when the knife opens unintentionally when pulling it from your pocket.

Do any of the Internet reviewers who’ve gushed over this knife actually use them?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Are there different thumb studs available? I had a similar issue with a Benchmade 484-1 and Benchmade eventually sent me the hardware I needed to remove the off-side stud and replace it with a screw. I’m not sure if this can happen with a TRM.

I’m close to putting this great little knife into the “do not use” category.

Anyway, that’s my experience with a Neutron to date.

I’ve been carrying my CF Neutron for a little while now. The fit and finish is great. The ergos work for me. The action is smooth and hydraulic, but breaking in. The thing is a great slicer! I’ve been building some IKEA display cabinets, and as anyone who’s ever dabbled in IKEA building knows, it’s cardboard breakdown hell. The Neutron has sliced through that stuff like butter.

My only issue with the knife, and it’s a big one, are the thumbstuds. They’re shaped kind of like a toadstool and they snag on any thread they can catch in your pocket. I was working today in some old’ish jeans and the Neutron “Emerson Waved” on me at least three times. That’s a deal breaker in my book. There’s real danger when the knife opens unintentionally when pulling it from your pocket.

Do any of the Internet reviewers who’ve gushed over this knife actually use them?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Are there different thumb studs available? I had a similar issue with a Benchmade 484-1 and Benchmade eventually sent me the hardware I needed to remove the off-side stud and replace it with a screw. I’m not sure if this can happen with a TRM.

I just got it Saturday, so today it rode in my watch pocket. Its a nice fit in there . I didnt have any issues with it opening up . But thanks for the warning, the blade is so sharp that needs to be watched . Do you email them ?
I really like the studs , but i have only worn jeans . My only concern was how hard the clip was to slip over the seam
I put two quarters under it and bent it up a little .
Now on the experts. Many of them have so many knives ,they call them Edc s . But if you carry a different one every day . You wouldnt get much time with the knife . My sebenza has rode for seven years . I also carry manix2 in 20cv.
I will carry neutron with the other two .
I pulled the trigger on two more this morning, an another neutron and an atom. I think they are a buy really in todays market.

Jake

Well i got the email that my neutron is ready to ship. Sent a payment and now the wait begins.
I really am hyped over this knife. Red g10 cpm 20cv steel and nice and thin . I believe it can give my small sebenza a fight . But being a knife guy i will just carry them both ! Three months to the day i ordered.
I will drop back in with a full report.

Jake

I ordered the same configuration as you. It is supposed be finished by the end of September, but I haven’t heard anything yet about being ready to ship. I checked the status in the beginning of the month and they said it is on schedule for the end of the month.

Sounds like you may have been in the same batch. Should I inquire about the status again? I paid in full when I placed the order. I hope that doesn’t somehow affect my place in the queue.

perhaps it's time to take a small wirebrush on a dremel to those thumbstuds? sounds like it's definitely a keeper without that issue

I ordered the same configuration as you. It is supposed be finished by the end of September, but I haven’t heard anything yet about being ready to ship. I checked the status in the beginning of the month and they said it is on schedule for the end of the month.

Sounds like you may have been in the same batch. Should I inquire about the status again? I paid in full when I placed the order. I hope that doesn’t somehow affect my place in the queue.

You should have had a number mine was 277 , i think . Yea i dont believe asking would upset anyone .
They are worth the wait . Its second in my favorites all ready only my small sebenza beats it . I have never had a pocket knife cut like that neutron! May i ask what color did you get ?

Jake

You should have had a number mine was 277 , i think . Yea i dont believe asking would upset anyone .
They are worth the wait . Its second in my favorites all ready only my small sebenza beats it . I have never had a pocket knife cut like that neutron! May i ask what color did you get ?

Jake

My number is 173. So if the numbers are descending I have a little bit of a wait. If the numbers are ascending...there is an issue. I’m not sure how it works.

I ordered the red g10 same as you. I chose the atomic symbol though. I will probably get a pair of CF scales as well.

have you owned a kershaw leek? ; ) I bet it gives the neutron some stiff competition

Hey, i ordered a TRM atom this morning, was just wondering how do you guy know what number you are on the wait list?

Okay, thanks. I paid through paypal but never recieved a conformation email from TRM. I guess ill contact them tomorrow. Thanks again!

Hey, i ordered a TRM atom this morning, was just wondering how do you guy know what number you are on the wait list?

The first time on the order sheet there was a number . Maybe on paypal . I waited three months.
They are slowly increasing production. The old adage you need to get good at it before you try to get fast .
Is so true . Maybe she will respond. My numbers are in 1000 range now . The first went down at 901

Jake

fwiw, stiff competition in cutting ability, not overall fit & finish of course, since they are vastly different in terms of price
the thin 14c28n wharny will give anything a run for it's cutting ability

I bought my nephew a leek. The lock is very hinky. I would bet that the quality differences are quite apparent.

weird, I've been using one almost everyday since last winter and have never had any issues with a hinky lock
and I'm not even particularly gentle with it

weird, I've been using one almost everyday since last winter and have never had any issues with a hinky lock
and I'm not even particularly gentle with it

Yours may have been a different variation. The version I’m talking about has a crappy plastic lock to prevent flipping the blade.

Love the look of these knives. Kind of pissed that ive been getting emails from them for months, but somehow didnt get one for the waiting list for the Atom today. But ill pick one up eventually.

As i get more familiar with the neutron. And as one starts to compare blades and the length of them .
The neutrons blade is almost identical to my manix2 in cuting lengths. Overall size the manix2 is much larger.
Thats why the little neutron is in great demand. Plus the overall quality.
Now the small sebenza carries almost identical blade length and is slightly shorter.
Also that 20cv steel sold me. My 20cv manix2 cuts and cuts . Three passes on the golden stone and its a razor again. Time will tell on the neutron , but it out cut anything i ever owned so far .

Jake

Back