throwing a busse

I think there was a guy a few years ago around here, that stuffed his blade into his trailer hitch on his truck, and stood on the handle until it snapped.. that one was covered as well I believe. I think Jerry might have chimed in on that thread even. Busse has the best warranty out there.

I think there was a guy a few years ago around here, that stuffed his blade into his trailer hitch on his truck, and stood on the handle until it snapped.. that one was covered as well I believe. I think Jerry might have chimed in on that thread even. Busse has the best warranty out there.

There is one story that tops them all. Worst case of knife destruction and covered.

Throw with confidence:

Wild Warranty Claims? . . . . We've Had A Few. . .

One of them was so wild, we made a full page ad out of it for Blade Magazine.

The customer was splitting bullets on his knife's edge. He was doing pretty good until he started shooting low!:eek:

We have changed the customer's name but this is the exact wording from our correspondence.

Here are close-ups of the knife handle and letter. . .

Here's a close-up of the blade. He had several good shots at the blade! šŸ‘

Let's Drink! šŸ‘

Jerry :D

Here is something I wrote in a thread years ago

Boy, I really like my new camera:D

Ok, I have to be honest here. I did not do any heavy prying out of wood with the FBM today. I did all of that with the SHBM. Not that I was worried but I just could not get the FBM to stick nto the wood as nicely as the SHBM. I can get the SHBM about 1.5 to 2 inches deep into the wood on a normal throw. Anyway, as you can see, I did torquing the edge out of the wood with the SHBM, I also did pry out's many times with it.

I also threw both blades into the wood. I finally got tired of the FBM not hitting point first so stopped using it and continued with the SHBM. All in all I probably threw the FBM 30-40 times and I threw the SHBM about 150 times. I also threw the Becker Brute about 20 times.

Here is part of the problem, there are several 2 inch pieces of broken knives stuck in that log, from knives that have failed my PRYOUT test. I think that all three knives hit a piece because I heard the clank. Both the Becker and the FBM have a nick in the same spot of the edge about 1.5 inches from the tip. The SHBM does not. The nicks are tiny. The one on the FBM is so small it is almost imperceptible. It is about 0.015" by .08". The becker is .35" by just under .12". Nothing that a steeling wont cure. The FBM is dented not chipped. The becker appears to be a chip, but neither is bad enough that I would consider repair. Steeling or sand paper pad would do.

The SHBM shows no damage and after a few swipes on a sandpaper/mouse pad it is razor sharp.

Check out my prying, it is unnerving when you pry and the blade bends and you think it's going to break and it just pops out of the wood with no set at all. Whew!! I did it a ton of times. I also clanged the knives many times on really bad throws.

One day sitting in his office drinking 3 dollar scotch and smoking flavored cigars, Jerry gets a call from a customer. Now this is nearly 20 years ago, this was right after the original run of INFI. Customers says he damaged his battlemistress pretty bad and would like it fixed. Jerry says to send it in to him and he will fix it. He receives the box a week later, opens it and what comes out of the box cannot qualify as a knife. It is a smashed piece of large steel., certainly not repairable. Jerry calls the customer and first tells him the knife is covered and will be replaced. But since Jerry has never seen damage like this, he wanted to know what happened with the knife. The customer responds, "well, I had several friends over at my house one night so they could help me demo my driveway and pour new concrete the next day. We were drinking and I was talking about my new knife, the toughest knife in the world and how it was unbreakable. My friends didn't believe it, so I told them I could break up the concrete with it and they still didn't believe it. So we went out with the knife and the sledge hammer and started to break up the concrete using the knife point and smashing it into the concrete with the sledge hammer. We broke up most of the driveway into pieces. " I don't remember what Jerry told the customer after this, but he did send the guy a new knife.

Last edited:
Back