Throwing away the boxes

To me, one of the many appealing things about Chris Reeve products is that they can be sold here on the Exchange almost instantly and they hold their value exceptionally well. Aside from the fact that I regret selling any of the CRKs that passed through my hands, I like having the option to get back what I put in to a knife almost instantly should the need or desire arise. Keeping the boxes makes sense to me as it makes them just a bit easier to sell--I know I feel better about buying a used knife if the paperwork and box is included.

Keep the boxes!
I’ve said I’d never sell certain knives, and I ended up selling that same knife haha!

The boxes help tell some of the knives story and also help with resale value.

Throwing a box away is like throwing money away quite literally. Plus I’m sure that new owner of your knife would be very happy to have the box and extras as opposed to just the knife alone.

Even if you never sell a knife someday they will go somewhere. IMO boxes are part of the package, in the case of CRK it's generally where one would keep the DOB card and Reeve's info along w/the the accessories. Most 'higher' end knives include some sort of swag from the manufacturer in the box, a cloth, pouch, fobs, stickers, tools, spare parts, etc. I generally never use that stuff as I have tools, hanks and cleaning supplies and don't use pouches. It all stays in the box. I have purchased knives w/out box's and I do consider it a hit to the value. The only exception for me where it really doesn't matter on a purchase is if I know it'll be a user and in that case it probably already is a user otherwise I expect the price to reflect the lack of packaging.

I've never sold a knife but do give them away occasionally and I like to have the box as part of the gift.

I only own two CRK's bout new and will always save there boxes along with the tool/Greece and cards that came inside each, but thanks to a burglary I had 2 years ago at my house they stoled my Spyderco collection and left me like 35 empty boxes (said story) that said I like to hang on to knife boxes WITH THE KNIFES as well....

but thanks to a burglary I had 2 years ago at my house they stoled my Spyderco collection and left me like 35 empty boxes (said story) that said I like to hang on to knife boxes WITH THE KNIFES as well....

Man, I’m sorry to hear that.
Whatever place in hell those guys earn, it’s still probably still too good for ‘em.

I’ve only got one CRK and I’ll keep the box and goodies to hand down to my son one day. The Sebenza is one of the only knives that will be in my possession forever.

I threw away only three boxes in my life. All three were Buck 112's purchased...almost 30 yrs ago. Gave em as gifts. They get used daily. No regrets. As for the 200+ knives that have gone thru my hands including the ones I have now? Kept every single box.

Oh wow. Funny, I don't see boxes. I see money.

Edit: Sell All The Boxes!!! :p:D

I keep all my boxes, they are in a bin in the attic next to the high chair and stroller:) They don’t do any harm up there and then I have them if I decide to sell something.

The clutter is a nuisance but I agree that keeping it will help in the long run. I threw away and in some cases intentionally ruined boxes of knives I thought I’d never sell...and tastes changed. Find a cozy spot for them in the garage, shed, basement, closet, and store them away.

I of course also keep all my boxes, on anything I’m considering reselling. I guess I just wondered if anyone’s had the experience of coming to view a CRK as actually a permanent, lifelong possession.

Sounds like not so much.
Oh I definitely have a bunch that I’ll never sell, some fall in the collection knives department and the others in the user knives department. I’ll always own half of each group. But as others said, the box and card are parts of the whole package, parts of the knife’s history. And there are people that value and will collect anything.

I have two lefty small starbenza insingos with the small idaho logo. I'll never get rid of them, my only CRK's, my only folders. Every other folder is sold or given away. Had folders way cheaper and much more expensive than these, but just prefer the sebs. The boxes are gone as are the birthcards. Two duplicates, one is in my pocket the other safely hiding ha.

Only thing that would boot these is if CRK somehow miraculously did a small damascus/damasteel insingo 21 blade. But with the exit of the 21...fat chance.

FoUN8PM.jpg

69wQpjy.jpg

I regard and treat all of my knives as tools. Basically, I do not like packaging, be it a cardboard box or a wooden box. Waste stuff that wastes manufacturing costs and space. A knife belongs in my pocket, to the tools or in the backpack. A pocket knife already contains the packaging, be it the handles or a sheath. I like throwing away the boxes and never looked back.

T
Maybe we need a “Show us your boxes!” thread?

Oh PLEASE NO!
I’m just kidding, I swear it! :D
hank goodness that I'm not the only one. Case, Spyderco, CRK, Rockstead, Benchmade, Fox, Microtech, more Spyderco...

I just posted on the Mnandi thread about getting reacquainted with this gentlemen's folder. It was purchased in 2004 with African Blackwood inlays. If I had not saved the box and the manufacture specification card, I would not have remembered when I purchased the knife, or what type of wood it was. Other manufacturers place the birth date on the box. I figure that someone could research the value of my knives better if I were not around to do that. The boxes, paperwork, and the occasional "swag" are important.

Back