Throwing knife

Nathan is just about the only person I know who can plan for the balance of a knife, accurately, in advance- so it stands to reason that he might be the guy to build the ideal thrower...

Nathan is just about the only person I know who can plan for the balance of a knife, accurately, in advance- so it stands to reason that he might be the guy to build the ideal thrower...

I was under the impression there was a guy on the forums who made competition grade throwing knives for like $30 each or something? Maybe it was $60 or something but it was remarkably cheap, like a set of 3 for under $200? I'm not sure but I saw it right around the same time I saw your vid of you throwing the LC.

I really enjoy throwing knives.
Do you?

Would you buy a CPK throwing knife?

Probably not. Throwing knives is a fun pastime, and balance is obviously a very important factor if a line is to be developed. But demand and material pricing pressures have in the past been obstacles that were difficult to overcome moreso than balance, at least from some of the history of throwing knives as I understand it.

There's a very good reason for most knife designs to exist, the CPK line being an example: purpose driven design. Throwing knives serve very little real purpose for the vast majority of knife buyers, I would imagine. Yes, there's a knife throwing competition, and maybe a short-lived CPK fan demand base, but I personally can't imagine trying to shave the costs to build a knife, probably adequately priced at $90, where there's not much return for the maker. And (again IMHO) at best, a tenuous buyer base not driven by a perceived need for the product, a throwing knife. Gotta admit, though, CPK has come out with some kool kutters, where demand seems to always outpace production. The reverse might be true with a thrower.

Something like a chopper can be a fun knife, but choppers evolved to chop materials needed to survive - though they do occasionally cut rope, bamboo, etc, in contests and demonstrations. And throwing knives? They most likely evolved from the need to kill, and you don't see too many ninjas and assassins on the streets these days taking life, ergo probably a lack of need other than for minor competition? '

I am probably a mile off on this one, so do feel free to flail me over the head, but if I had to bet on an enterprise being able to make much of anything on throwing knives, I would bet zed..

I am probably a mile off on this one, so do feel free to flail me over the head, but if I had to bet on an enterprise being able to make much of anything on throwing knives, I would bet zed..

not at all, Bob. If I didn't want to know people's opinions, I wouldn't have asked!

I would be interested in a set especially if they could perform other duties (by design). Most throwers are very basic and if it could work from a balance and design perspective itd be cool to have one (or a set) that in appearance just looked like normal camp knives

I really enjoy throwing knives.
Do you?

Would you buy a CPK throwing knife?
Yes.
Yes.

Keep in mind, it would be knives. Unless you're just buying to collect, no one buys only 1 to throw.

Regarding throwing something sharp... I'm still waiting for the CPK ninja stars, or aka, the California lawn aerator. 😆👍

As some one who has thrown many many knives, hundreds of thousands of times? I would say yes. But, would I want to spend the $$$ on what I think his throwers would cost?

Not sure. Because I have a few dedicated throwers, and I have hawks that get thrown just as much.

I'd love to see what he comes up with!

would $150 be an acceptable amount to pay, do you think?

ps. Nate and I haven't discussed this at all, and frankly, I'd be surprised if he wanted to do it. This is just an info gathering thread, for now.

Anything Nathan chooses to charge, should he choose to make a thrower, would be a reasonable price. His knives are high end performance with reasonable prices.

It's just that I have no knife budget (or at least very limited). !

Back