Thrust Bearings vs Bronze Washers

You must not have read very clearly, mete said no such thing.

Thrust bearings can be ball or roller.IIRC the rollers of big thrust bearings can weigh 5 pounds !! => for your BIG knives !!

You're making up an argument where one does not exist, and trying to clear up something which doesn't need clearing up.

You must not have read very clearly, mete said no such thing.

You're making up an argument where one does not exist, and trying to clear up something which doesn't need clearing up.

I was referring to his first post not that one. Maybe I took it wrong, not sure. That can be a problem with written word. That and other people speaking for people instead of letting them speak for themselves. Anyway, its neither here nor there, we are off topic and the OPers question has been answered, lets move on.

We are still relevant to the thread, most threads evolve into something more than the original post so there's no reason to not continue until nobody bothers to reply any more or the OP closes the thread. It's fine to stop talking and move on, but declaring such us not good forum etiquette as there are others who could be more than willing to continue whatever discussion is happening, threads aren't private.

We are still relevant to the thread, most threads evolve into something more than the original post so there's no reason to not continue until nobody bothers to reply any more or the OP closes the thread. It's fine to stop talking and move on, but declaring such seems selfish in nature as there are others who could be more than willing to continue whatever discussion is happening.

I wasnt saying to stop the thread, I was suggesting we stop arguing, But, I agree, post away. I am moving on:thumbup:

I am not sure why we are still going on about this though as the OP question has been answered/resolved and this was a bit out of the scope of the question in the first place.

It hasn't been resolved. Every reference this thread refers to so far, says that "thrust bearing" is a general term, covering washers as well as rollers & balls. The phrase is useless, so far as differentiating which bearing style is used.
My interest in this thread is simply to understand the terminology better, & I have learned a bit.

Notice the washers on both sides.

AD7FCE8A-FF7D-42EE-9D0E-75580FB5AE20_zps9etltszd.jpeg

BAB32C72-F93E-4F11-BE06-2DE074B26347_zpsmq0lhjjx.jpeg

It hasn't been resolved. Every reference this thread refers to so far, says that "thrust bearing" is a general term, covering washers as well as rollers & balls. The phrase is useless, so far as differentiating which bearing style is used.
My interest in this thread is simply to understand the terminology better, & I have learned a bit.

The differences, as I can see them, between 'thrust bearings' and other bearings is just the orientation:

'Thrust' bearings handle the pressure parallel along the axis of the bearing system, and have races to each side of the rollers.

Thrust-cylindrical-roller-bearing_din722_120-ex.png

'Radial' bearings handle pressure from the axis away radially, and thus have an inner race, the bearings, and then an outer race.

Cylindrical-roller-bearing_din5412-t1_type-n_ex.png

Since washers handle the same pressures as thrust bearing systems do, one could argue they are just friction thrust bearings rather than roller thrust bearings. This, I believe, is the distinction that caused the argument.

Exactly. They are all thrust bearings. Some have rollers, some have balls, some have neither. The term thrust bearing is general to the whole classification.
So the OP's question can't be answered.

Besides, isn't "bearings" just short for "load bearing surfaces?" So a washer is a bearing because it bears the friction load and allows it to move, where as ball bearings do the same; yet when people say "bearings" they generally think of ball bearings. Watches also have bearings which consist of a solid ruby bearing that a steel shaft spins in. Although the ruby doesn't spin or move at all, it's still a bearing.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Besides, isn't "bearings" just short for "load bearing surfaces?" So a washer is a bearing because it bears the friction load and allows it to move, where as ball bearings do the same; yet when people say "bearings" they generally think of ball bearings. Watches also have bearings which consist of a solid ruby bearing that a steel shaft spins in. Although the ruby doesn't spin or move at all, it's still a bearing.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

In short, yes. Washers can be used as friction bearings (in knives at least), ball bearings usually need the 'ball' in front the denote that they are spherical, hinting at other kinds of bearings of which there are many.

Sent from my work desktop using a keyboard

Back