Thumb stud vs hole

Some of you are aware that I’m a newbie to one hand opening knives. My question is which is easier to open, a stud like Benchmark uses or a hole like Spyderco? Not referring to those two brands, just examples.

Just wait until you get a flipper.

200.gif

I tend to favor the Spydie hole or some type of hole. Part of that might be I've gotten so use to them over the years. I own more Spydercos then any other brand.

Thumb studs work too, I just find a hole works better with my big hand.

They both work. Pick the knife you like better. In the long run you will have both styles.

And do not forget the Auto's. :)

Rich K.

I think handle design and position of the opener with respect to the handle matters more than type of opener. Further away/Less tucked away, and it's easier.

That said, Spydercos in general are better than average when it comes to ease of opening because of the hole and designing both handle and blade height so that it is mostly or fully uncovered in most designs. That puts the top of the hole pretty far out from the handle. In contrast, thumb studs tend to be designed much closer to the handle, making it harder to hit and get leverage on.

Tl;Dr: Neither is naturally better, but because of design considerations, knives with a round hole for the opener tend to be easier to open

I don't have a problem with studs (except for CRK's...), but a hole/oval/slot/fuller tends to be more versatile. And while it's never been a concern of mine living in Florida, I'm pretty sure the hole is vastly easier to manipulate with gloves on.

I prefer my knives to have both.

Me too. And for my knives that do have both (or studs + flipper), I never use the studs :)

Here is another thing: I'm right-handed; for whatever reason, holes are _much_ easier to use with my left hand than studs. Thumb or finger flick, all easy also left.

Some of you are aware that I’m a newbie to one hand opening knives. My question is which is easier to open, a stud like Benchmark uses or a hole like Spyderco? Not referring to those two brands, just examples.

I find holes easier to use for opening.

I think this is yet another preference thing. I used to be dedicated to studs with an assist, now I prefer the hole and no assist. I don't think either is going to have a slam dunk win over the other. Flippers are kind of in their own category. It's like asking if Jeep or Toyota are better and then somebody starts talking Ferrari.

Both can be done well and both can be done poorly, so I don't think a general comparison will tell you much. Usually though I think that studs are better for flicking open and holes are better for slow and controlled opening.

I like a properly placed thumb stud but much prefer the spydie hole. The spydie hole and flipper are my two favorite opening mechanisms.

It really depends on the knife. For my hand size I generally prefer the hole. Thumb studs or disks need to be placed just right for me to like them. I wear gloves at work, and find I tend to miss most studs or disks. I have large hands and have found bigger holes like a Benchmade 806, Spyderco Police or Manix XL work best for me.

Back