Thumb stud vs hole

For me it depends on the knife. If it’s like my 0200s, which don’t have a very strong detent, and the stud sticks over the handle, all good.
Spydercos work just as good too, a lot more of the blade sticks out tho…

As others have said it depends on the knife. The design of the hole opening often necessitates a blade profile that is taller in relation to the handle. Thats fine and works really well on things like the PM2 and Manix 2 but might not always be the case. A smaller knife such as the Civivi elementum, the Ferrum Forge Stinger, or the Bugout might be better off with thumb studs or flippers. Its a design and preference thing I have knives with examples of all and they are great in their own way depending on the temperature, where I am going, what I am doing, or just for a change of pace.

Let me make the case for a hole.

I carry these folders inside the pants, sandwiched against my baby soft buttocks and the belt. Folding knives are a risk of opening up, if a thumb stud catches on a shirt tail, or a seam. And that includes flippers, had that happen once, and cut my thumb.

This opened up once,

QYEGKrl.jpg

it has a rather predominant pants side stud, which catches on things. After having the blade open up after a bathroom break, and create a hole in the pants seat, 😲 I decided to grind that stud down as much as possible., and round it. No accidental opening yet, but perhaps, I am a bit more observant. Could have received a nasty slice on something fleshy, and that made an impression, so to speak. .

I have a rather old Benchmade with the hole, never had it catch on anything. However, your carry mode, and needs are likely different.

I own both, and with bare hands I'm fine with either. But with gloves on I found holes to be difficult to operate.

The first knife below is a Benchmade AFCK with round hole. It was my work folder for awhile, and to make it easier to open with gloves on I assembles a makeshift thumb stud out of two sealing washers, a screw, a flat washer, and a threaded post (pic 2). The sealing washers just happened to fit the opening hole perfectly (the rubber seal just squeezed into the hole, but the metal portion was just a little too big to go in). It worked perfectly.

Then I got bit by the titanium frame lock bug and bought a Bradley Alias (pic 3). But I didn't like the small, pointy thumb stud that came with it so I replaced it with an aftermarket one.

The fourth pic illustrates what Kreole mentioned in post #9 about design. I had difficulty with the thumb stud on my Viper Start because of how close it came to the handle at the point shown in the pic. I solved the issue by removing some of the handle material and now it opens without difficulty.

I'd say it all comes down to design, preference, and what works best for you under any given circumstances.

90ZQYUk.jpg

qK0kx9i.jpg

nW9RrpJ.jpg

tmO1mVR.jpg

Last edited:
Lady fingers go in the hole just fine, but you want a stud for man hands.

Wait, what?

Both can be done well and both can be done poorly, so I don't think a general comparison will tell you much. Usually though I think that studs are better for flicking open and holes are better for slow and controlled opening.
Cool. Hadn’t considered that.

I think this is yet another preference thing. I used to be dedicated to studs with an assist, now I prefer the hole and no assist. I don't think either is going to have a slam dunk win over the other. Flippers are kind of in their own category. It's like asking if Jeep or Toyota are better and then somebody starts talking Ferrari.
So you like flippers better than any other?

They both work for me, however, if you're buying a knife that you know you'll be using to do a lot of slicing through media (like say, breaking down boxes), you're going to want a knife with a hole of some kind (SpyderHole or other), or else a knife where the thumbstuds are below the grind of the knife, so the studs are out of the way of the media the knife is going through.

I agree it depends on the knife. I don't have a problem alternating between studs and holes. I also play the guitar and have causes on my thumb...

Just wait until you get a flipper.

200.gif
I agree. I also like the "Scanners' reference!
seriously: I took to the flipper about like a duck takes to water. Thumbstuds just don't seem large enough for my lousy paws, and I can't get the angle right; for the "spydie-holes"
But I am learning!

Flipper (assisted opener) - stud -hole - nail clip - in that order.
YMMV.
Honorable mention to a lever since I use my old Kershaw Lever Lock a lot.

So you like flippers better than any other?

Lol Actually, I love a good flipper... But I sold all my flippers because I kept unconsciously flipping them at socially inappropriate times. For work I find myself wearing gloves quite a bit and the hole seems to work better for me than the stud.

• Haha
Reactions: 353
I figured out blade opening on big folders could be improved back in the late 70’s-early 80’s (?) when I installed a Flickit on a Buck 110 and a Gerber folding Sportsmen.

I bought my first Spyderco early 80’s.

I was hooked. I’ve never found a better system to open a blade. Totally unobtrusive. Ambidextrous.

I’ve owned more Spydercos than anything. I’ve owned Benchmade. Emerson and still own a Sebenza. Nothing is more efficient and intuitive than that stupid hole.

And, I can open a Spyderco faster than an auto. (Assuming I’m carrying an auto with the safety on).

Both work for me. The hole on the GM Ace Grand works great, the LG VECP is one of the easiest thumb stud deployment knives I have right now.

IMHO there’s nothing better than reverse flicking a hole on a well made knife with a smooth action. Getting excited just typing it 😆

They both work for me, however, if you're buying a knife that you know you'll be using to do a lot of slicing through media (like say, breaking down boxes), you're going to want a knife with a hole of some kind (SpyderHole or other), or else a knife where the thumbstuds are below the grind of the knife, so the studs are out of the way of the media the knife is going through.
Wow, good advice. I hadn’t even considered that. Thank you!

I figured out blade opening on big folders could be improved back in the late 70’s-early 80’s (?) when I installed a Flickit on a Buck 110 and a Gerber folding Sportsmen.

I bought my first Spyderco early 80’s.

I was hooked. I’ve never found a better system to open a blade. Totally unobtrusive. Ambidextrous.

I’ve owned more Spydercos than anything. I’ve owned Benchmade. Emerson and still own a Sebenza. Nothing is more efficient and intuitive than that stupid hole.

And, I can open a Spyderco faster than an auto. (Assuming I’m carrying an auto with the safety on).
I wish I’d known about Flickits when I got my 110 in 72. Lots of times that wouldn’t been very handy, like when I was hanging over a cliff in Crested Butte CO to get a branch off line of sight for survey instrument man. I used the 110 then but a Flicket would’ve been great.

Back