Thumb Studs - I want your opinion!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Do you like a thumb stud to open your knives?

I am asking because I have a new design that will likely use one! I like them personally but want your opinion.

I can also use a slot opening like my other folders but it may interfere with the lines of the knife or appear a bit large. Either way the grind will be a tall grind so that part does not matter very much...

Not my cup of tea, but a.) I love all your new work and b.) I am not the lorax that speaks for the trees.

I do like classic style studs. Not a big fan of horizontal disc style. If that tiny screw ever breaks, you're screwed.

-Xander

Not my cup of tea, but a.) I love all your new work and b.) I am not the lorax that speaks for the trees.

Thanks for your honest opinion!

I do like classic style studs. Not a big fan of horizontal disc style. If that tiny screw ever breaks, you're screwed.

-Xander

They would be the classic style, the thumb disc is ruled out on this particular deign. (I like them but not on this one)

Honesty makes everyone better. I won't sugarcoat it. Maybe, just maybe, on a gentlemens folder. Something smaller I could wear at work.

Again, It's just me. You be you, D. We support you and know you will always make the best choices.

Oh, and any form of texture like a checkering file or jimping on the face of a thumb stud is not a good thing, imo. I had a knife with checkering on the face of the thumb stud and it chewed my thumb up, my jeans, if I set it on something soft like a wood table it would scratch it.

Smaller is better than bigger, smooth better than grippy. That's just my $0.02.

-X

The blade opener must fit the knife correctly then ALL blade openers work just fine.

I've had numerous knives with thumb studs and they all worked fine except for the three Sebenzas I had and sold. The thumb studs on the Sebenza have to be one of the worst designed features on a knife I've ever had, at least for me.

I like studs that double as a blade stop. That way they are out of the way if you're cutting something thick with the whole blade.

I've had numerous knives with thumb studs and they all worked fine except for the three Sebenzas I had and sold. The thumb studs on the Sebenza have to be one of the worst designed features on a knife I've ever had, at least for me.

I'm just curious as I have never held one, what about it does not work well? Location? I want to avoid any unseen design flaws! :D Thanks!

As long as it's easy to open the blade with the stud. Not all blade stops are meant to be used as thumb studs. ZT's for instance. I have a Macusta that you have to push the thumb stud more forward than down to open. Kinda a p.I.a.

^ I took a look and am understanding thumb stud geometry better, the larger the radius (from stud to pivot) the more of a forward sweeping motion vs downward then circular motion is involved. Thanks!

I've been working more on finalizing my CAD, it looks like this design will have a slot like my other folders and I figured out a way to make it look nice and work even better! :D

I like thumb studs a lot, but the geometry has to be just right so that you can rotate the blade smoothly and evenly through the opening arc. I have a 3 Sisters Forge beast that I like very much. It has a very abrasive checkering which was literally a pain but the location and geometry are very good IMO.

If you like, I can mail loan you an example or two of thumb stud designs that work.

Edit: One more thing. I think detent is important in making an effective thumb stud actuated knife. For example, I have an XM-18 flipper that was a terrible flipper but worked very well with the thumb stud. Someone modified the detent for me, now it flips like a dream but doesn't really work with the thumb stud. The detent is too "heavy".

Edit edit: Based on my RF1 and RF2, you have the detent thing down perfectly!

Last edited:
You know...

this thread is a great example of why I like this place, you guys really have taken the time to go out of your way and help... not just a quick vote which would have been nice but you guys really go all out! Respect!

I personally enjoy a well-designed thumb stud as much as a well designed opening hole. What does "well designed" mean? Shape, position, and size relative to the overall design need to be balanced. One common problem I see with studs is the so-called "volcano" shape (as seen on sebenzas), a shape that doesn't provide positive purchase on the stud and ultimately leads to failed attempts to open the blade.

Also, having studs be removable is preferable for many who use sharpening systems like the edge pro for instance. It also opens the door to creating variations that can be substituted (color, shape, etc).

Just my $.02

The day I see this forum degrade into...

or...

YES PLZ ANYTHING U DO IS GREAT

or....

BRO PAL MAN ACKNOWLEDGE MY INTERNET EXISTANCE

I'll retire from ever posting in online forums. This place is way above that, and it's why I keep it as my home page.

I know you listen to our feedback, and we know that you will keep on crushing knifemaking with new and exciting designs. You may have less followers then some other knifemakers, but you have more friends.

Back