Thumb Studs - I want your opinion!

I like dual studs. but whatever u do iz c00l

Damn I forgot all caps.. :D

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

I personally enjoy a well-designed thumb stud as much as a well designed opening hole. What does "well designed" mean? Shape, position, and size relative to the overall design need to be balanced. One common problem I see with studs is the so-called "volcano" shape (as seen on sebenzas), a shape that doesn't provide positive purchase on the stud and ultimately leads to failed attempts to open the blade.

Also, having studs be removable is preferable for many who use sharpening systems like the edge pro for instance. It also opens the door to creating variations that can be substituted (color, shape, etc).

Just my $.02

SteelStickler - that is great information and really helps a ton! Great point about making them removable too, I like it.

The day I see this forum degrade into...

or...

or....

I'll retire from ever posting in online forums. This place is way above that, and it's why I keep it as my home page.

I know you listen to our feedback, and we know that you will keep on crushing knifemaking with new and exciting designs. You may have less followers then some other knifemakers, but you have more friends.

I used to market everywhere and made a conscious decision to focus here for the most part. The group we have formed is really the very best. I get a letter about every other day from people asking "How do you make so many knives yet I've never heard of you." That is because the group here is top notch! I bet 80% of my sales are to repeat buyers. Secondary market... nope!

I also believe that until I am known as the very best knifemaker in the world hands down that I will be pushing every day to make it as that . :D If I ever am that good I may take weekends off. :p

I like dual studs. but whatever u do iz c00l

Damn I forgot all caps.. :D

Sounds cool! It's looking like a slot opener on this one by the way. cough cough tanto ahemmm...

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
But really, how do you feel. :D :D :D

It doesn't matter to me , I am just gonna send it to CM to get it waved anywayzzzzz. :D
Fer realz dough I like the thumb hole the best but I don't mind a well executed thumb stud.....lefty cough cough.
How about a texture on the blade like carbadizing offers?

No thumbstuds. They get in the way of sharpening sometimes, especially at shallow angles.

I like thumb disks and double thumb studs, but not the single ones and I hate it when they get in the way.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks!

It doesn't matter to me , I am just gonna send it to CM to get it waved anywayzzzzz. :D
Fer realz dough I like the thumb hole the best but I don't mind a well executed thumb stud.....lefty cough cough.
How about a texture on the blade like carbadizing offers?
lmao! That's right!

No thumbstuds. They get in the way of sharpening sometimes, especially at shallow angles.

Sounds good! I consider an external stop pin on one folder but it would be out of the way..

Thanks again everyone!

I prefer thumb studs over other methods, all things being equal. As someone pointed out, it has to fit the particular knife. I believe a stud wouldn't work well, or look correct, on your current frame locks. However, I'd love to see the knife you have in mind for the studs.

Bah! I remember during the early to mid 1990s when thumbstud openers were actually practical. And.... comfortable!

Nowadays the current models out there either have them as simply blade-stops or thumb-rippers.

Companies have cheaped out to a disgusting degree. I used to prefer thumbstud openers and simply liked bladehole openers. But just by standing still and doing nothing to the design of the holes themselves, Sal's knives from Spyderco have become my favorites. Simply due to the fact that Sal left his idea the hell alone! While everyone else cheaped out and turned their thumbstuds into flesh searing $#!%.

In a lineup where thumbdisks are a signature characteristic, my favorite Emerson has a thumbhole. My 3 most badass folders have hole or slot openers, and the most ergonomic and most comfortable folder I have is a Spyderco Military. Yeah, prefer not to have thumbstuds in my folders. I've even removed the thumbstuds on a couple because they didn't need them at all. One of my grail knives has a thumbhole, and another has a tang flipper with no studs or holes, disks, or a visible flipper even. A special RFx (hint :D ) with a thumbhole/slot is on that short list of grails too.

2012-12-05_13-36-10_846.jpg

20131216_132356.jpg

20140214_211654.jpg

I replaced the thumbstuds on these with invisible ones.
20140622_231814.jpg

2012-11-23_23-22-11_876.jpg

I prefer thumb studs over flippers, thumb holes. The reason for me is I injured my hand when I was younger and lost the use of my middle finger on my right hand so the ergonomics of the thumb stud works better from me. That being said as other posters mentioned the geometry has to be correct, the Kershaw Blur is a good example of a very good thumb stud design IMO.

Thanks for sharing that Gooeytek, much appreciated! Very helpful and just great to see the knives.

Thanks VultureJ! I really appreciate you throwing in.

Thanks Monocrom! I was thinking that too...

MOCraig, much appreciated! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back