Time for a new BBQ Challenge - The Camp Sword

Back to work. The blade is ground, heat treated, Tempered spine, sand blasted, and tumbled. Ready for Vinegar patina, and handles.

IMAG1073.jpg

I didn't get pictures of flame on tempering. However here was my setup for it. Aluminum plates cut to follow the bade shape somewhat. Any way to get a temper line with a sand blasted and tumbled finish? I plan to use the heck out of this thing, and am not it the mood to hand sand just for a temper line on a hard user.

IMAG1007.jpg

Okay On to the handle. I Originally planned to go with G10 then changed my mind to go with a block of Maple burl. I started cutting the block in the band saw using a squaring vice to get the cut along the plan I wanted, and not perpendicular to the un-squared sides. I am a bit off center towards the side I felt had the better figure.

IMAG1069.jpg

Then I took the slabs to my stroke sander to see what was waiting for me in the middle.

IMAG1071.jpg

After some clean up at 80 grit and no oil, I found this. Which blew me away.

IMAG1072.jpg

Now I am stuck with a question on my mind. I hope some of you will chime in here. I am after a shaped handle, not unlike a Wheeler bowie. I feel now that I have seen this wood that the bowie style handle shape will take away from the wood. I am thinking I should save it for a more flat profiled handle that can better display the character of this wood.

Any comments will help me one way or the other.

I think that wood will look great with a nicely contoured handle. I don't think shaping and contouring will detract from it at all.
Darcy:)

Carl that is looking great in every way! I really like the lines. The wood you picked out is spectacular.

I need to get back on mine, I had it almost finished then decided to re-grind part of the swedge. I need to sand for an afternoon than it will be finished grind wise, I'm so busy with orders right now I'm hoping to find the time. I have another tanto in 1075 that matches the sword, I hope to finish it too! :D

Here’s a few quick shots (not the greatest) of the finished "knord". Sorry it took so long,… been preoccupied with non knife related business lately.

DSCN4064.jpg

DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN4042.jpg

Last edited:
Well I finished my first Camp Sword. Thanks for the inspiration. I enjoyed it and learned a lot. I would post a picture but I have not figured out how to do that

DONE!!! :p

DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0955.jpg

Sheath too:

DSCN0957.jpg

Blade is 13 1/4" tip to scales, handle is 7 3/8" cocobolo with copper fixens'

Thanks Stacy.

That is the biggest blade that I've ever hand sanded.....

Tai, I can't make an informed comment other than, that is a beautifully crafted blade. I have never, nor will in the foreseeable future make a blade and scabbard with this level of intricacy, difficulty, and detail. Very nicely done, and thank you very much for sharing that with us.

Bruce, now that looks like it belongs outdoors. Great knife and very nice sheath.

EDIT: Now if I can just find some time away from work to epoxy up my handles and get them shaped...

I was working on inletting the saya a few minutes ago. I noticed the tip had a little warp...nothing big, maybe 1/8". I thought, Well, I will either toss it in the oven and heat it up, or take it out when I do the final togi....but then thought, "Oh heck, I can bend the blade and get it out. So I chucked it in a slot on my bench and gave it a bend. It moved a bit. I bent harder....and got a little more...almost enough, I gave it a final big bend, flexing the blade about 3"...it broke.

This taught me several things;
1) Listen when you tell yourself, "Do it the harder way...it will end up being easier."
2) Don't forget that Japanese blades are sharp when the foundation togi is done. It sliced a shallow slit across my left palm and took a skin shaving off my right index finger. About two drops of blood,...it could have been a lot worse.
3) I got a nice fine grain in the blade HT :)
4) Everyone breaks a blade now and then.

I have another sword that is nearly done, so I'll use that one for the Camp sword photos.

Bummer snapping that blade tip off Stacy........I feel your pain:(. At least you didn't cut yourself too bad, and learned a few things too........silver lining eh?
I have been stupid busy lately so no more progress on my sword..........hopefully soon,
Darcy:)

Whoa! Glad to hear you are okay.

I have experienced the do it the hard way it will be faster, and easier in the end. Still can't get myself to do it every time, but I am getting better.

Darcy, I feel you on the busy part. At work we are slow, which means we need to bring in more projects that we would not usually bring in. This means more troubled projects as well. So while my guys are slow I am swamped trying to get good info to them.

I keep walking past this girl (camp sword) letting her know I will get to her soon. Hopefully that will be this weekend. I brought her in for pin sizing today, then one last sandblast and tumble before going through the vinegar, steel wool, vinegar, steel wool, and then getting dressed in some Maple Burl. I can't wait to finish. Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures soon.

Well here it is. Not completely finished, but I am going camping, so I need to take a sword. :cool::D I figured I'd post pictures before I possibly make it look uglier than it does now. The handles are Maple burl, only at 600 grit (for now) . The blade is o1 with a flame tempered spine, and handle. I tempered the whole thing at 480 so it should be right around 56-57 RC. The finish is a sand blasted and ceramic media tumble, with a vinegar patina. I have no idea what the patten on the back side of the blade is, but if anyone has any thoughts on that or the "sword" in general I'd love to hear them.

IMAG1189.jpg

IMAG1187.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Back