Time thief

Hello all! Short time listener , first time caller. I know there is a "new guy" thread. However, I will also ask a question. Total newb. I only have 2, what I would describe as "nice knives". First was a production model karambit and more recently a handmade number purchased here (thank you Bruzek!). So, here's the question. Ive seen folders for sale that seem really expensive. I REALLY do appreciate "nice" things and understand you have to pay for them. However, there must be a point of diminishing return. Is the high end stuff that nice? If you keep it well, does it hold value? I know the fitment must be better. Materials maybe more exotic. Are they magical?
Thank you for your imput.

Seriously though, you're paying for excellence in fit and finish, high quality material and outstanding costumer service with limited lifetime warranties.

Most custom makers also offer warranties that are typically the lifetime of the maker, excluding abuse.

Depending on your tastes and budget, you can spend as much as you like!

there must be a point of diminishing return.
There is. It is different for each person. With any material possessions in life, there are those people who just want something to get a job done and nothing more, and there are those who want to get that job done with a certain satisfaction in the tool used, and there are those who are true aficionados who get deeply into various aspects of the thing.

Take wine, for example. If you just want something moderately tasty to go with a meal, that will still get you a mild buzz, there are plenty of decent wines in the $10-$15 per bottle range. As you get above $20-30, the wines improve but you need an educated palate to appreciate some of the finer differences.

Knives are cutting tools. If you have a specific set of cutting tasks that you perform regularly, you can probably figure out what is "good enough" to perform those tasks and that you can reasonably maintain. Once you get that covered, anything else is addressing some other need or want.

If you want the minimal set of tools to get your cutting tasks done at the least cost, don't spend much time here. Find out what you need to know, go buy something and use it, and don't come back until you need to research your next purchase after you wear that one out.

Welcome. If you are hoping to "hold value," you chose the wrong hobby.

A more-expensive knife may be made to higher tolerances and out of better materials and may give you more pride of ownership.

But that's really all you are gonna get out of it.

Welcome to the party, as it were...we all face that reality every day. ;)

All things above are true and yes, there are diminishing returns. There is a LOT of quality difference between $20 and $100. Less between $100 and $200. And so on.

Whether you are willing to pay for increasingly small improvements depends on your enthusiasm level.

Yes there is diminishing return, even though many are extremely well made. You can only be so smooth, cut so well and have such fit and finish. A $1000 knife isn't going to be 100% better then a $500-not to say you might not prefer to buy the $1000 knife. In some cases not even as good as. Though quality effects price, the price is often more a reflection of supply and demand. Many want one-few available for purchase. Secondary prices can be extremely inflated over bench prices, which are often reasonable, but hard to get.
As for holding value that is a big ?. Trends and hot makers change over time, but I am sure there are a few that will be winners. Me, I don't put any effort into making money(and have been very successful at not)-just enjoy the hobby, and buy what I like.

Last edited:
Welcome! Go onto YouTube and check out Nick Shabazz's video on diminishing returns in the EDC world. He is a highly intellectual knife and gear reviewer, and describes the topic better than I could. However, I have yet to meet the point personally. I recently got my first Sebenza, and it is far and away nicer than anything else I have, and I feel it to be a good value. Much higher than this though, I think things stop being objectively better, and just more special in different ways, and more suited to personal preferences.

Well, I am a carpenter. I do whittle on things and I'm often found out of doors on my off time. At the same time I'm willing to pay to have a nice edc slip joint. I prefer to NOT buy from large, faceless companies. Have any suggestions

Yes there is diminishing return, even though many are extremely well made. You can only be so smooth, cut so well and have such fit and finish. A $1000 knife isn't going to be 100% better then a $500. In some cases not even as good as. Though quality effects price, the price is often more a reflection of supply and demand. Many want one-few available for purchase.
As for holding value that is a big ?. Trends and hot makers change over time, but I am sure there are a few that will be winners. Me I don't put any effort into making money(and have been very successful at not)-just enjoy the hobby, and buy what I like.
I probably used the wrong terms. I'm not trying to resell. I just don't want to SHOVEL money out the window.

Well, I am a carpenter. I do whittle on things and I'm often found out of doors on my off time. At the same time I'm willing to pay to have a nice edc slip joint. I prefer to NOT buy from large, faceless companies. Have any suggestions

If you want a slip joint just find a great eastern cutlery pattern you like and order it or wait for it to go back into production. Queen is also pretty small and some swear by them but I've had two misses with them so they won't get a third try.

Reactions: Mo2
If you want a slip joint just find a great eastern cutlery pattern you like and order it or wait for it to go back into production. Queen is also pretty small and some swear by them but I've had two misses with them so they won't get a third try.
Wait?! Pfft.. we don't wait for anything in America. Large fry please..

I probably used the wrong terms. I'm not trying to resell. I just don't want to SHOVEL money out the window.

Most of the ultra high priced knives live there lives as safe queens. I have found the $300-$500 range to have some very nice EDC's -some diminishing return, but enough improvement that I am willing to pay up for. I don't really need anything more expensive then a Sebenza, not that I won't and haven't paid more-these are just wants and not based on practicality.
Expensive is a pretty general term-The Sebenza is expensive to someone that has been buying sub $100(been there), but not to those spending $1000-$5000 for there knives(not so much there).

Reactions: Mo2

Sorry missed that post.-The knifemaker's sub forum of the exchange should help if you want a custom and as mentioned Great Eastern is a well respected production company. I think in either case you will be happy with the money you spend.

Most of the ultra high priced knives live there lives as safe queens. I have found the $300-$500 range to have some very nice EDC's -some diminishing return, but enough improvement that I am willing to pay up for. I don't really need anything more expensive then a Sebenza, not that I won't and haven't paid more-these are just wants and not based on practicality.
Expensive is a pretty general term-The Sebenza is expensive to someone that has been buying sub $100(been there), but not to those spending $1000-$5000 for there knives(not so much there).
That's what I was trying to hear.. I prefer a more old timey look. TA is an obvious choice. Would I be a fool to pocket carry a 600$ knife? Should it be a sundrie at that point? I have found if you save any money from his "standard" that the finishing details start getting bajiggidy. Yes that's a word. Crooked coining isnt worth a 100$ savings to me. 300$ saving? Well ya.. Who has impressed you in the 3-6 range for an old timey slip?

Welcome.
As others have said, diminishing returns are a personal opinion as are so many things in life.
For me it's around the $200 mark. I don't believe any of my friends have ever spent over $60 on a knife.

Excluding my BF brothers of course:)

They are not magic, but you have to decide whether pure utility is what you're after or if modern design is an important factor.
Do you want advanced technology, materials, and manufacturing techniques ? or do you just want an all business cutting tool that doesn't incorporate any unnecessary expenses.
You can also have pure utility in a high end knife which I think would probably be the sweet spot, but such knives are far less common. I'm not saying that most higher end knives are useless but with their thick blades and funky grinds or blade shapes you're not really paying for a knife that actually cuts better In most cases.
Like I said though it's all a matter of perspective and what you value most in a knife.

I'm not saying that most higher end knives are useless but with their thick blades and funky grinds or blade shapes you're not really paying for a knife that actually cuts better In most cases.

Since when do most "higher end knives" have thick blades or funky grinds or blades shapes?

Some do, especially now, but hardly a majority. There are other knives out there than "overbuilt" mid-tech titanium framelocks.

They are not the only knives that make up the higher end by a long shot.

Back