• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Time to end access for scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc75mhz

Gold Member
I think BladeForums should be open to all who want to register, view, comment, etc. EXCEPT for The Knife Exchange. Just my opinion. I think that only gold or higher members should be able to view, comment, post, etc. in this section. We all have the ability to PM so no reason for emails or texts. Someone will still find a way to scam, but it will block access to many of them.

I think BladeForums should be open to all who want to register, view, comment, etc. EXCEPT for The Knife Exchange. Just my opinion. I think that only gold or higher members should be able to view, comment, post, etc. in this section. We all have the ability to PM so no reason for emails or texts. Someone will still find a way to scam, but it will block access to many of them.
Agreed

Removing the pool of buyers without a sub would kill a lot of the value for sellers.

While it certainly can be done, Spark has not been onboard with the idea. It solves one aspect of the present scam, but that is also solvable with a basic membership or proper care.
Buying a gold membership does not make a scammer honest.
If proper care was used, this present problem would end here. People are just being careless with their money, and the scammers are very willing to help.

Once a site gets tagged as place were scammers hang out, it becomes very difficult to dig out of that hole. We need to get off the X and action beats inaction.

AGREED!!!

This is a honey hole for scammers , what would you expect? There are numerous easy pickings here because a lot of people don’t understand how scammers work or how to spot the red flags and leave themselves vulnerable to the scam. Even if they buy a membership they can still reap way more than the cost of the membership so even that isn’t fool proof. Myself, I just stopped using the exchange and buy through reputable /established dealers or direct from the factory.

Here we go again with pushing the "paying member solution". As I (and others) have said in recent posts, people using Paypal F&F is the problem. The reason so many scammers are having a field day here is because of this.

Spark suspended everyone's ability to post on member's walls, and the scamming is still going strong... wake up people! It's the Paypal F&F that's the problem!

How about an experiment? Suspend anyone who uses F&F for say 90 days and see how many people get scammed with way fewer people using F&F. I'm betting that the scamming will drop quite a bit.

Of course, that won't happen, because it would probably work.

As I (and others) have said in recent posts, people using Paypal F&F is the problem. The reason so many scammers are having a field day here is because of this.

People blindly sending payments is the problem. The members being scammed aren’t even spending a minute making sure the random email for payment they just received is from the actual seller. Even if they sent the funds G&S, they still would have been sending money to the wrong account!

How about an experiment? Suspend anyone who uses F&F for say 90 days and see how many people get scammed with way fewer people using F&F. I'm betting that the scamming will drop quite a bit.
The problem with that is too many buyers aren't being smart enough to catch on. They'll get those same emails, still be desperate to score before the next guy, and continue to get scammed.

Make the whole site Gold level no exceptions.

Then we'll just go back to the scams where someone rips off a bunch of people right before their membership expires.

People blindly sending payments is the problem.
.....this. For the most part the MO for said scams (short of an actual scumbag member) have been laid out ad-nauseum for a few months now. Warning banners etc Multiple threads here as well as the long standing advice about sending payment via F&F. At some point people need to look after themselves as well. In so many of these cases 5 minutes of work/investigation would have identified the issue. But the FOMO syndrome that prevails (yep I am guilty of this as well when "that knife" comes along) seems to blind people to logical process.

I think poor exchange practices in other areas of the Internet (reddit, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) are abundant and even acceptable; since there is a lot of crossover here, we get to see such behavior on full display. It puzzles me that folks won't do more to protect themselves. I had an Instagram maker once push like hell for me to use Zelle - I flatly told him no and I was prepared to walk away from the transaction. Using payment methods that provide zero recourse for you to recover your monies if things go south is just loony.

This is a personal responsibility and it isn't hard to use a little restraint and common sense. Don't get taken for a ride, protect your assets.

There are millions of suckers born everywhere every day....... And thieves...........

Always will be too unfortunately........

I don't really have a problem with this except I think most scams happen off-forum. That is, someone finds an "I'll take it" and emails a fraudulent request for funds. Even if this takes place, it can be defeated with a $50 membership. A small price to pay for unlimited access to a target rich environment for fraud.

Here we go again with pushing the "paying member solution". As I (and others) have said in recent posts, people using Paypal F&F is the problem. The reason so many scammers are having a field day here is because of this.

Spark suspended everyone's ability to post on member's walls, and the scamming is still going strong... wake up people! It's the Paypal F&F that's the problem!

Of course, that won't happen, because it would probably work.

We should eliminate E-mails.....

*rocking the boat

I don't really have a problem with this except I think most scams happen off-forum. That is, someone finds an "I'll take it" and emails a fraudulent request for funds. Even if this takes place, it can be defeated with a $50 membership. A small price to pay for unlimited access to a target rich environment for fraud.
I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back