• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Time to end access for scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now we see why some forums don’t have an exchange. Not worth the hassle after a while.

We should eliminate E-mails.....

*rocking the boat
The old rules stated that sellers had to have emails active. If sellers included their emails in the ads, they could be contacted directly, eliminating the risk of interception.

*rocking it harder

The old rules stated that sellers had to have emails active. If sellers included their emails in the ads, they could be contacted directly, eliminating the risk of interception.

*rocking it harder

I was making a joke, in a snarky way......people blame f&f.
I was pointing out that emails play Just as big a part of the "blame"

(I'm Not blaming emails or f&f, by the way) just so we're clear

I was making a joke, in a snarky way......people blame f&f.
I was pointing out that emails play Just as big a part of the "blame"

(I'm Not blaming emails or f&f, by the way) just so we're clear
I do think you've got the germ of a good idea though. Using verified username email pairs would help.

I saw a post on GBU regarding a pw-type system and recently used it. I don't know if the other person found that useful but it does help verify identity.

While it certainly can be done, Spark has not been onboard with the idea. It solves one aspect of the present scam, but that is also solvable with a basic membership or proper care.
Buying a gold membership does not make a scammer honest.
If proper care was used, this present problem would end here. People are just being careless with their money, and the scammers are very willing to help.

I agree with P Peter Hartwig . At this risk of coming across as GLIB - I think this ^ is the crux of the matter. I don't believe that it is Blade Forums responsibility to make you, the buyer, safe if you, as buyer, are not willing or motivated to follow basic precautions. Knife lust and starry eyed shopping is taking us down.

Of course when someone does get scammed we all want to know who the perpetrator is. I suggest - the perpetrator is YOU. Knock on wood I don't get scammed next.:(

Last edited:
If people don't want to be scammed, they should take responsibility for their actions and consider the various means available to them to avoid being taken by a crook.

Invest in a paid membership in order to avail oneself of the use of private messages with the seller.

Contact the seller in the sale thread and ask if the email received was sent by them. (The seller can and should put something...a word, picture, gobbledygook...in the body of any email sent to the potential buyer to be able to verify that it was indeed his email which was received with instructions on how to pay.)

Ask to pay by G&S, and / or request identifying information from the seller. Full name, address, phone number etc.

Don't pay if you have the slightest misgiving about the solicitation for payment. It's your money...protect it.

Lastly, nothing in the above recommendations, (save for using G&S), can protect you from someone who, despite having excellent feedback, decides to go rogue...or has had his account hacked because of poor (or no) attention to protecting his online account via a strong password and 2FA.

While Spark can make changes which might largely prevent miscreants from utilizing the site, he can also grind the forums to a halt in doing so by enacting sweeping changes.

We can't even convince current "buyers" on the Exchange to pony up 83 cents a month to better protect themselves from fraud. How will the business fare when the policy of "everyone must pay" is put into effect? Thankfully, it's not my decision to make.

Bottom line? It's not the site's fault that its members are cavalier with their finances and unwilling to take prudent steps to protect themselves from fraud.

Last edited:
If people don't want to be scammed, they should take responsibility for their actions and consider the various means available to them to avoid being taken by a crook.

I’m currently running a special on my ‘Learn how to not get scammed’ process. If anyone wants to send me $500 PPFF, I can guarantee that they’ll learn to be protected from scams. If they act now and send me $1000, they’ll be doubly protected.

I’m currently running a special on my ‘Learn how to not get scammed’ process. If anyone wants to send me $500 PPFF, I can guarantee that they’ll learn to be protected from scams. If they act now and send me $1000, they’ll be doubly protected.
I'm still waiting for my introductory package. Can you confirm the tracking number?

☺️

Rules are just guidelines if there is no punitive action taken for rule breakers. Still plenty of listings show payment form of PPFF.

Rules are just guidelines if there is no punitive action taken for rule breakers. Still plenty of listings show payment form of PPFF.
Because it isn't a rule. Spark has never made it a rule. (But it is strongly encouraged to use G&S.)

If he changes it to a rule, it will be posted as such, and there will be consequences for those who do not abide by it.

It's listed under Section 2 of the rules, even though he softens it by saying it is only "discouraged".

My earlier point of a site getting a reputation as place where scammers hang out and how hard it is to dig out from that reputation was missed or discounted. But, as they say not my circus, not my monkeys.

I hope whatever Spark chooses to do works out well for all.

I'm hitting eject on this thread now as I don't want to seem argumentative.

It's listed under Section 2 of the rules, even though he softens it by saying it is only "discouraged".

My earlier point of a site getting a reputation as place where scammers hang out and how hard it is to dig out from that reputation was missed or discounted. But, as they say not my circus, not my monkeys.

I hope whatever Spark chooses to do works out well for all.

I'm hitting eject on this thread now as I don't want to seem argumentative.
You are certainly correct, that it is easier to attract scammers than get rid of them. Most scams are not as repeatable as this one, so once this plays out, by members getting smart or running out of money, I am hoping things will return to a low level of scams. Until then all we can do is protect ourselves.
If PPFF was against the rules it would say prohibited not discouraged. Maybe Spark gives the membership too much credit for smarts. In general the administration has not wanted to over regulate the exchange. It is really between the 2 parties and they have no horse in the race.

Last edited:
You are certainly correct, that it is easier to attract scammers than get rid of them. Most scams are not as repeatable as this one, so once this plays out, by members getting smart or running out of money, I am hoping things will return to a low level of scams. Until then all we can do is protect ourselves.
If PPFF was against the rules it would say prohibited not discouraged. May be Spark gives the membership too much credit for smarts. In general the administration has not wanted to over regulate the exchange. It is really between the 2 parties and they have no horse in the race.
Enforcing a rule like this would be, IMHO, a real PITA
Sure you can automate a search for "$X PPFF" but are you also going to ban other non-recourse payment methods like zelle or USPS MO? If so, how much mod time is going to be spent on that?
How would you enforce the use of PPFF on off-forum comms (email, for ex)?

I imagine the mods are here bc they like the hobby and want to see it grow and not to police each and every sale

This! There never were scammers before the internet.

Nah, we need to eliminate commerce entirely. It's the only way to fix it.

JAyCH3H.png

I think we've gone as far as we're going to at this point. Any changes will be made known by Spark or staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back