Tip up vs Tip Down: Does it matter, and why?

...Bigger ones go in back pocket.

I've tried that for an EDC carry, and the verdict is...not going to happen. Nope. Nadda. Never. I know of someone that carries his Griptilian like that. Even when he's wearing a suit. I just don't get it. It is fun to see him pull a full-size Griptilian out of his slacks, though.

I also know of people that are unwilling to own a knife that is tip down carry. I just don't get that, either. You would think that it really should depend upon the knife, where it is carried and how it is best positioned for deployment.

Oh, as for the people that refuse to own something tip down because they would have to readjust their grip on the knife after it's pulled out of their pocket... I have never seen anyone that does not do some sort of grip readjustment when they pull out a clipped modern knife. Tip up or tip down.

For me i carry knives both ways. If a knife is right hand only i carry tip down. Im left handed so on one of these knives it puts the blade against the seam in my pocket which i prefer. If a knife with left hand carry tip up so it is resting against the seam of my pocket, either one im fine with i cant tell much difference either way

It matters, and it depends on the knife. My Batum is far better when it's tip-down, because the pommel is angular, and not the nicest thing to rap your knuckles against when you go digging for other things.

Other knives, especially flippers, I will carry tip-up, with the blade against the side of my pocket. I've never had one deploy by accident, but it gives me a little extra confidence.

Will not carry my Spyderco Military because it came open while inserting into my pocket 2x, shredding my pocket each time but luckily leaving me unscathed. I'm not willing to give it, or any other tip down knife another chance.

I prefer tip up because it puts the blade to the outside of the pocket away from the hand also keeping the blade from opening, for a little extra safety.
Not picking on you as you’re not the first to say this but I don’t get this. Are we talking cheap knives here, autos, flippers...? This statement makes me think people are carrying around poorly designed knives.

To the op I carry tip down. It just seems more intuitive to my hand. Both of my Delicas are carried tip down.

I prefer tip up if the knife is well designed to be carried in that fashion. I have no issues at all with properly done tip-down carry, presuming the detent is strong enough to keep it from opening.

I think a lot of people get hung up on tip-up vs. tip-down and don't realize that some knives are better suited for one style or another. My favorite knives, the Microtech Socom and Socom Elites, are all tip down and are perfect that way. The Socom Delta variant was tip up and was trash.

That's weird that tip down caused an issue, just holding a knife and looking at it I don't see how a tip down knife that's not assisted would open. I have a no name Chinese piece of junk liner lock I keep on my desk for when people I don't trust ask for a knife and the blade is so loose that it falls open if held tip up, but in tip down I have to tilt it almost 90 degrees and shake it to get it to fall open.

I'm not doubting ya'll at all, just having a hard time picturing how that would happen with a knife that has anything near a detent.

My first military would pop open when I put it in my pocket loose. I tightened the pivot screw a hair and have never had another problem with it. Not a great solution if you flick your knives but I don’t so it was an easy fix for me. Haven’t had that problem with the new design.

I could not imagine never carrying a millie. I love that knife. :D

Usually doesn't matter to me. Whichever way it is, I usually just adapt to it.

Only a few knives that I've bothered to change; usually SD/fighting knives (like the P'kal and Karahawk) to facilitate speed/ease of deployment.

Usually doesn't matter to me. Whichever way it is, I usually just adapt to it.

Only a few knives that I've bothered to change; usually SD/fighting knives (like the P'kal and Karahawk) to facilitate speed/ease of deployment.

That was my assumption for why it would matter. Fortunately I have never been in a situation where mine or any other persons life or safety depended upon my ability to deploy my knife quickly, and gods willing I never will be.

The ladies prefer tip up.

That and, I've had two tip down knives stab me in the leg. Plus, its just faster to pull out of the pocket and deploy. Not that it really matters, especially now that I'm disabled permanently. I really abuse my knives though. Cut my hospital I'd band off last with my Yoji 2, and I feel bad about it. But, shockingly, it did not chip.

Its a tactical preference for quicker and safer knife opening manipulation
The deployment made even faster with the possibility of a tip up folder with a waved feature.
Either thsn that, not much of a difference. Butter finger types are cautioned to go slow with the openings for safety sake, especially when its not a life threatening situation.

Last edited:
I use them the way they come. I have no strong preference. Never had one open in my pocket. I don't carry auto knives.

Back