TiTAN 2.0 Pre-Order / Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please add me to list if someone backs out. Had family emergency last night and could not get here. Thanks

It's of course up to Will who gets the slot, but I had to back out of my pre-order. I sent an email already, but am making it known here as well.
So #16 is gonna be open for some lucky person :)

After I said I was in for the 2.0 I remembered that I'm already committed to both a custom folder and custom fixed blade coming in the weeks ahead and need to budget my money better :D
I was lucky enough to get in on the original TiTAN anyway, so it's only fair someone new get that same chance.

It's of course up to Will who gets the slot, but I had to back out of my pre-order. I sent an email already, but am making it known here as well.
So #16 is gonna be open for some lucky person :)

OK so how I'm going to deal with the newly open spot is simple.

I'll keep going down the list chronologically by post date. Soooo #16 is Darkangel55555's spot now.

OK so how I'm going to deal with the newly open spot is simple.

I'll keep going down the list chronologically by post date. Soooo #16 is Darkangel55555's spot now.

^^ I like that method of spot filling - now I just need a miracle! LOL

I've been getting emails asking if I'm going to use the roller bearings from the original TiTAN design in version 2.0 so here are the rambling thoughts of a knifemaker nerd.

These are the roller bearing cages I used in the first TiTANs.

DSC01012.jpg

They worked fantastically BUT being in the dirty humid south, I noticed quickly that they could develop rust corrosion if not kept well oiled. Midwest Knifemaker's Supply doesn't publish what alloy the cage or bearings are but I can guess that they are deffinitly not stainless.

Sooooo for 2.0 I wanted to keep the silky action but improve corrosion resistance and possibly hopefully gain a little more longevity from the bearing assemblies. At BLADE this year I was able to scope out two newer bearing cages to come to market.

The first was Alpha Knife Supplies' .25" stainless bearing cage with 52100 bearings. Horray! I love AKS .25" pivots so these would be perfect but...

FB250-Photo-s.jpg

I also was eying the new GTC Stainless Heavy bearings from Jantz. The GTC bearings have a stainless cage AND 440c stainless bearings...hmmm

GC101-2.jpg

So the question was is there any measurable performance difference between 440c and 52100 bearings? As is happens ballbearingsnews.com (yes I am a hopeless nerd) published “A Comparison of the Operation of AISI 52100 and AISI 440C Ball bearings in a Corrosive Environment”.

“The clear findings were that the stainless-steel bearings performed twice as well as the standard En31 (AISI 52100) bearings with regard to fatigue life, as well as being far superior for both corrosion resistance as well as unlubricated running.” Good info to have. Now real talk. Will 99.99% of users ever be able to tell the difference? Probably not, but I feel compelled to build every knife with the absolute best quality materials. That is why I have changed the design to utilize GTC all stainless bearings.

Can't wait to feel the new stainless bearings. What does Hoback use?

IDK exactly what alloy of bearing Hoback uses for his pivot bearing cage. I do know we both use stainless 410/304 HRD rolling ball detents.

http://jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn605-ni/index.html

In other news I have just payed for a brand new Wilmont grinder! This is going to make my grinds even tighter and the finishes even cleaner than TiTAN 1. My "Balls to Wall" Grizzly machine has served 3 years of honorable duty but it is time for an upgrade.

When are you expecting the blades back from wet jetting? The Damascus should be sweet, but I'm way more excited about my wharncliffe brother

Will are we there yet? :) I don't know if its been asked but what is the ETA on these?

Thanks!

Will are we there yet? :) I don't know if its been asked but what is the ETA on these?

Thanks!

Still waiting on Aldo to ship my S35VN. It should arrive next week and then I will run all the waterjet materials to Tuscaloosa, Alabama the following weekend. You know me it takes a while for me to get these knives perfect. I'd estimate 4 months total. As always you guys will be updated as the project progresses. Feel free to ask any and all questions.

Very excited that the T2's are going to be S35VN. I love 3V, and of course it's stainless counterpart S30V, but S35VN is a definite step up. If you don't mind me asking Will, why did you decide to get rid of the thumb stud on the TiTAN 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back