TitaniLor

... it's so tough that I'd rather it glance off the blade uncut, than abruptly stop the blade midstroke. Too hard on the wrist.

That's a telling statement. Without extensive experience on a great variety of underbrush with a great many different blades, you could never make that kind of assessment. Valuable skills and experience, sir--I don't know of anyone I'd rather have testing prospective machetes for me. :thumbup: :D

Seriously, thank you Lorien.

thanks so much, Will. Your kinds words are appreciated :)

Cool videos. What is beta verses regular titanium? Never heard of it.

Cool videos. What is beta verses regular titanium? Never heard of it.

Basically, they're titanium alloys that can be heat-treated to alter their properties, and are sort of the titanium version of tool steels and other highly heat-treatable iron alloys.

The term "beta titanium" refers to titanium that is alloyed with a good amount of other elements that are beta-phase stabilizers. The normal "alpha phase" crystalline structure of titanium at room temp is HCP (close-packed hexagonal). The beta phase of titanium is body-centered cubic, and with enough beta stabilizing elements, this crystal growth phase of the metal, which is brought about by heating the metal similarly to heat-treating steel, can be retained at room temperature after a rapid quench. This way, titanium can be heat-treated into a tougher, harder, stronger condition than alpha-state titanium, and can even produce several forms of hard titanium "martensite."

Grade 5 titanium is called an alpha-beta alloy, and it is sort of between the two. There are also near-alpha and near-beta alloys, which are just riding the edge between the two. Because a beta ti alloy can can assume either state permanently it's possible to create the more wild states of the metal through heat-treatment.

So I suppose a good comparison would be to say that tool steels could be considered "beta iron alloys!"

Last edited:
mecha- OT/ but you need to design a Ti snow shovel.
Then, you could retire.
This is an epic thread.
rolf

thanks Sam, for your significant explanation! I'm glad you're chiming in here wrt the metallurgical questions and not leaving it up to me!

Basically, they're titanium alloys that can be heat-treated to alter their properties, and are sort of the titanium version of tool steels and other highly heat-treatable iron alloys.

The term "beta titanium" refers to titanium that is alloyed with a good amount of other elements that are beta-phase stabilizers. The normal "alpha phase" crystalline structure of titanium at room temp is HCP (close-packed hexagonal). The beta phase of titanium is body-centered cubic, and with enough beta stabilizing elements, this crystal growth phase of the metal, which is brought about by heating the metal similarly to heat-treating steel, can be retained at room temperature after a rapid quench. This way, titanium can be heat-treated into a tougher, harder, stronger condition than alpha-state titanium, and can even produce several forms of hard titanium "martensite."

Grade 5 titanium is called an alpha-beta alloy, and it is sort of between the two. There are also near-alpha and near-beta alloys, which are just riding the edge between the two. Because a beta ti alloy can can assume either state permanently it's possible to create the more wild states of the metal through heat-treatment.

So I suppose a good comparison would be to say that tool steels could be considered "beta iron alloys!"

My pleasure. The phase comparison between hard-alloyed steel and beta titanium isn't exact but it helps explain what it's all about. Beta ti are usually made for ultra-strong structural uses and aerospace parts, rather than tools.

tee hee hee!

[video=youtube;gQhj_Rx9F8k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhj_Rx9F8k[/video]

[video=youtube;qVOGjfkRPHM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOGjfkRPHM[/video]

Hahah, I love throwing huge blades at my stump target... You gotta really huck that badboy!

I don't recommend throwing your swords around. That being said, this was pretty fun!

Now we're talkin'.

Next test: load it into a cannon and blast it at a sheet of plywood!

this is what it's all about;
[video=youtube;pnF3ARKg1So]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnF3ARKg1So&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back