Titanium hatchets: Saving the Schnauzers

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In an effort to produce more stuff for people in want of pokey things, last year I had been working on some little titanium alloy plate hatchets I called the Schnauzers, for obvious reason. More bite than bark, they were lightweight cutting tools that were as much a hatchet-shaped chopping knife as anything, with a handle that could be choked up on to use the blade like an ulu if needed, and a nasty spike for a weaponly presence. Numbered 0-9 of 10, several had been finished when unfortunately those remaining were caught up in that, uh, that thing that happened.

Now, I'm saving the Schnauzers.

hgG5rgH.png

vP0dKFM.png

Two of the remaining five were cleaned up, and #6 was selected for the first rehabilitation. Here is #6 ready for heat treatment, on the right:

MBrHJOh.jpg

Entire head heat treated, ready to be batoned if necessary:

F31GBuE.jpg

7opyFwb.jpg

Smoothed out, handle added, and ready to go!

VzGfQBh.jpg

lNjgQDi.jpg

Handle is my typical style, with a neoprene core, flat nylon cord binding, and leather over-wrap:

8LKeArr.jpg

Not too shabby considering the prior condition!

Wso1tK8.jpg

The other four will be dealt with, and then when things are ready, bigger versions will be made for an improved Mechaxe. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Want.....😍😍😍
I hope you finish them .
They look Fun

Great looking pieces, great video and fun soundtrack! This thread is one of the high points of my day

yeah! Looking good man!

I need one of those,my wrists are aching from swinging heavy metal they look like the cure:)

pure awesome there. I'm also gonna need one like one of those eventually.

Well I'll see what I can do about making some even more advanced Mechaxes. I have a line on a plate of ti that would make some perfect ones.

Why did I have to see this video?

Why do I need a Mechaxe soooooooooooooooooo badly?

*weeps*

Any chance of some kind of dibs/early warning system when more come out?

Once I have a new model finished, I'll post it here along with a test video, and provide an update on the making of them, and probably start making a list of who wants one. I'm a bit annoyed that ever since getting an instantgram, it's been hard to get anything posted for sale on BF when it's finished because that crowd sees things as they're being made and thus has the ability to request an item right before it's done. I don't want the BF regulars to miss out on everything. It's not that the demand is super high, but more because my production is so low largely due to the nature of the material. Working with big ti is hard on tools and on the body. However these small and medium axes are a lot more reasonable to make than a distally-tapered sword, where every part has to be shaped to fit an irregular, one-off long blade.

Freakin’ love this. 😍🥰 Too damn cool! Hey what’s that music from? I know I’ve heard it. Some cartoon?

It's none other than the theme song of American Gladiators! :D

Last edited:
I need one of those,my wrists are aching from swinging heavy metal they look like the cure:)

That's actually one of the best things about it...the light weight and just the ease of using them. Easy! So nice if you have a bad shoulder or something like that.

Back