Titanium hatchets: Saving the Schnauzers

Once I have a new model finished, I'll post it here along with a test video, and provide an update on the making of them, and probably start making a list of who wants one. I'm a bit annoyed that ever since getting an instantgram, it's been hard to get anything posted for sale on BF when it's finished because that crowd sees things as they're being made and thus has the ability to request an item right before it's done. I don't want the BF regulars to miss out on everything. It's not that the demand is super high, but more because my production is so low largely due to the nature of the material. Working with big ti is hard on tools and on the body. However these small and medium axes are a lot more reasonable to make than a distally-tapered sword, where every part has to be shaped to fit an irregular, one-off long blade.

It's none other than the theme song of American Gladiators! :D

Ahhh, knew I knew it from somewhere! I was thinking something like GI Joe, but American Gladiators was pretty much the same timeframe. It tickled my nostalgia nerve for sure.

These hatchets and axes look badass, Sam. Video was so damn cool! 🤘

Ahhh, knew I knew it from somewhere! I was thinking something like GI Joe, but American Gladiators was pretty much the same timeframe. It tickled my nostalgia nerve for sure.

These hatchets and axes look badass, Sam. Video was so damn cool! 🤘

Haha! Thanks. 😁 I think the next round will be the best ones yet. I plan to make the body of the hatchets from Ti 6-2-4-2, with a welded, forged bit of Ti 10Nb which was the original alloy I used for swords (and still do). The next round should be about 28" oal, which is I think a great size for powerful cutting, light weight, and portability. Maybe 30".

Well I'll see what I can do about making some even more advanced Mechaxes. I have a line on a plate of ti that would make some perfect ones.
This sounds interesting,how about 3/8" plate that you could have waterjet cut out to hatchet shape.
I am just thinking out loud I know it is easy to talk about actually making things happen requires a whole lot more.

This sounds interesting,how about 3/8" plate that you could have waterjet cut out to hatchet shape.
I am just thinking out loud I know it is easy to talk about actually making things happen requires a whole lot more.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The bit however would be welded Ti Nb, forged, ground, and heat treated, for a hamon-like effect and superior edge.

Here are some examples of that effect on earlier test axes:

o43woHi.jpg

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The bit however would be welded Ti Nb, forged, ground, and heat treated, for a hamon-like effect and superior edge.

o43woHi.jpg
If you ever need help having testing done........

o43woHi.jpg
That is the cats meow!
A lot more complicated than I was thinking.Does it require a TIG welding machine and a dam good welder to get that forged piece in there?

That is the cats meow!
A lot more complicated than I was thinking.Does it require a TIG welding machine and a dam good welder to get that forged piece in there?

Yes, the bit and hatchet are prepared and shaped, then the bit is TIG welded into place, and then forged.

Here are some other photos showing the effect:

Yes, the bit and hatchet are prepared and shaped, then the bit is TIG welded into place, and then forged.

Here are some other photos showing the effect:

How easy is Ti to weld?
I'm Really good at TIG welding S.S.
i can barely do plate aluminum, nothing too thin, or too thick..... Cooling isn't set up well with it.
but I have No idea, never seen titanium

I have welded just about everything and stainless is relatively easy.
Aluminum takes some getting used to and more power because it is a good thermal conductor.
I found Titanium to be a royal pain in the but.
However as always cleanliness and 100% focus work wonders.
I will gladly let others do it.
Just thought To add that the weld is Ti to Ti Nb,which adds a level of difficulty.
I would bet there was some trial and error in learning to do this.

Last edited:
How easy is Ti to weld?
I'm Really good at TIG welding S.S.
i can barely do plate aluminum, nothing too thin, or too thick..... Cooling isn't set up well with it.
but I have No idea, never seen titanium

I have welded just about everything and stainless is relatively easy.
Aluminum takes some getting used to and more power because it is a good thermal conductor.
I found Titanium to be a royal pain in the but.
However as always cleanliness and 100% focus work wonders.
I will gladly let others do it.
Just thought To add that the weld is Ti to Ti Nb,which adds a level of difficulty.
I would bet there was some trial and error in learning to do this.

I wrote a basic thing about welding titanium here:

In order to do this correctly, I made and welded about two dozen test strips of various ti alloys, using different filler rods and alloy combinations, different purging devices, and mechanically testing the welds to failure. During this process the welds went from went from weak and brittle to mostly becoming even stronger than the base metals, as good welds often are. Vectors of failure were identified and eliminated, and tolerance limits were found.

Due to their nature, bigass long blades used for hard, powerful strikes push the limits of a material more than just about anything short of supersonic aircraft and spacecraft and other weapons, in my opinion, so things need to get tested thoroughly. Unfortunately this sort of testing is a shitload of work and expense, unpaid, but ultimately not without rewards.

Here is the first one, a sword, with a video on page 2:

It was the first of its kind in existence, which feels pretty rewarding to have made! :D And a mind-bending pain in the ass to make.

Back