Titanium Sword ?

If you're not interested you don't have to post in this thread. It's not against the rules here, I checked.

If you're not interested you don't have to post in this thread. It's not against the rules here, I checked.
1. Its not encouraged to necro threads more than a few years old.

2. The last post in this thread was from 2012.

3. Your post about reenactors at a crappy dinner show has not an iota to do with the density nor the structure of titanium nor any properties of the discussion at hand.

There are different grades of ti. For example my titanium knives are made of Beta ti, which is hard for machinery to work.

The knives are sharp and hold an acceptable working edge.

The show you link to, if they have ti 'swords,' would have dull impossible to sharpen properly 'swords' of any old easily workable ti grade and they would have no similarities to a real working sword except for the general outline.

4. As others mention, lots have happened in the mean time since this necro thread.

For example Mecha of this forum has been making fantastic titanium swords and we now know far more about ti swords due to him and other knife/sword makers.

Try a forum search for ti and for Mecha's posts.

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie of Mecha in King Arthur's Court.

Court? They would never let him out of the smithy, and probably chain him to the forge. I have advocated in the past for just that situation, but Arthur could not only order such a thing, he had the moral laxity to make it happen.

twCHAbE.jpg

Like Wayland the Smith, hobbled and chained to his smithy by the King, forced to forge for his benefit. Of course Wayland had his revenge. :D

SpafSxG.jpg

Honestly, happy and humbled that you guys like my work.

Honestly, happy and humbled that you guys like my work.

We recognize quality and your work speaks for itself. I keep telling people how small of a community that we're in. Everybody seems to know everybody and news travels fast, so when we see someone doin' excellent work we're quick to point it out and give praise where it's due and deserved. :thumbsup:

We recognize quality and your work speaks for itself. I keep telling people how small of a community that we're in. Everybody seems to know everybody and news travels fast, so when we see someone doin' excellent work we're quick to point it out and give praise where it's due and deserved. :thumbsup:

It speaks for itself? :D I think I found a video of it...

Thank you very much, T.Erdelyi :thumbsup:

If rust proof is your only key requirement, make a sword out of that new fangled LC200 that spyderco and others are using in their marine blades?

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=lc200n

replacing Carbon with Nitrogen does the trick... and it can get to 60 on the hardness end, try that with a titanium alloy

Being rust-proof is far, far from being the key requirement in a sword material. Same with a long thin piece of metal getting subjected to hard impacts and heavy shock being HRc 60. A sword is not just a giant knife. But for the record, my big brother has made quite a few test strips of ti alloy well above HRc 60 that were fine-grained and could be bent 90 degrees in a vice, and still had to be held bent and beaten with a hammer to break to inspect the grain structure.

If rust proof is your only key requirement, make a sword out of that new fangled LC200 that spyderco and others are using in their marine blades?

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=lc200n

replacing Carbon with Nitrogen does the trick... and it can get to 60 on the hardness end, try that with a titanium alloy

There is a reason why you DO NOT find any REAL sword in a stainless steel. It does not work.

A proper sword is a lot more complicated then a knife.
You also don‘t have a 60 hardness in swords (too brittle), unless it‘s a differential tempered blade like a Katana. But this has it‘s drawback too, one inproper cut and the blade has a permanent bend. Modern made european style swords are through hardened to HRC somewhere between 48 and 53 to retain flexibillity and impact/shock resistance.

So if you want a rustproof sword, there is really no alternative to a proper made titanium blade, but that is not the only advantage. And Mecha is the only one doing them.

Last edited:
That's right, BladeMan. And then it just gets weirder. Like the sort of alloys that are tough as nails but almost stainless, and the ones that are quite hard but also tough, and then the design of the sword itself! The type, the purpose or technique, or the sort of swordly use it's skewed towards, such as speed and accuracy or raw cutting power. And then there are knives that are really complicated too! And then it just goes off the rails, with Japanese double-edged swords and stainless Navy katanas made during WWII (extremely rare). I'm tellin' ya, it's a madhouse of blades!

For what it's worth, I knew that rust resistance was not really a key sword property - but I was replying to someone who wanted that.

For real toughness, look at these top end structural/aerospace steels -> they are crazy high in Nickel and Cobalt - and also seem to outclass Titanium alloys
https://www.cartech.com/en/alloy-te...ection/toughness-index-for-alloy-comparisons/

That's pretty cool that Cartech concluded its alloys outclass all other alloys in Cartech's own toughness index. Now that's real toughness! X]

Jokes aside, I'm sure those steels are amazing, and I'd love to make a sword out of a fine high cobalt alloy like that.

Last edited:
i have no affiliation with cartech, but consider they published numbers on their steels & tests, with compositions... other companies are free to do the same. It's not cartechs place to be publishing competitor #s

i will have to get some short sword made in this, maybe kukri/bowie hybrid

any longer id go japanese shape

Back