Tom Brown Tracker

i don't really understand the objection to the compound edge on the Tracker;

i can think of some advanced field chores making furniture and such that it could be nice to be able to hue with the hatchet function and then shape with the fine edge without having to let go of one tool and pick up or unsheath another. most folks who live with a machete in their hand do similar grinds, as we all know. - before you say it; you are right; that isn't too important, but it is technically an advantage, especially on hillsides or during snow, etc. IMHO.

the small footprint of the Tracker seems to be a decent counterpoint to the objections of weight too.

i am working on a vectorized Fast AXE that is more to my taste (simpler, but with similar physics) , but i don't really get all the strong objections to this design.

i do think it is regrettable that they included that sawback on the Tracker, or at least didn't make the saw elongate back to the guard area, to make it more useful. as it is, it seems like a tactical pot lifter to me....

odd knife, sure, but still a decent compact field tool.

vec

What do you guys think about this:

twincut6.jpg

A Marttiini Twin Cut. It kinda has the same concept, two different blade angles, 6,3" blade. Unfortunately the price is waay to high (~200 eur) :mad:

Do any opinions sway your decision on building the knife?

Ummmm not really. What has happened is I've decided that this knife is not something I will be lugging through the woods instead of one of my Khukuris. I'd rather carry a Khuk for chopping/defense and my Sharade Xtimer or 153UH for finer work than something that is designed to do many things but fails to exell at any; which seems to be the majority of what I'm hearing. If I build it now it will mostly be for the challenge and as something to add to my collection, perhaps as a conversation piece as it definitely seems to be able to get people talking.

It's a Jack of all trades knife. Not my style at all, but I have seen people who love them. There was actually a review I read somewhere that compared it to the $15 Paratraxx version which performed better out of the box.

As for the movie thing, regardless of the advertising centered around the Tracker, it wasn't in The Hunted. The knife used in the movie was a Beck WSK, which by all accounts is a superior knife (though your looking at a lot of cash for one now).

I have the $15 paratrax version and I actualy realy like it. I think the sawback could go away (and it eventualy will) but as fur the knife itself, it works I've used to make fire bow sets and it realy works well for battoning.
that being said the grind could use some work but hey its $15.
Nate

Anybody compared it against the WSK from Koster. The basic design is very similar.

i don't really understand the objection to the compound edge on the Tracker;

It depends on the objection. My main objection is that it's not necessary- a variable convex edge is a smooth, easy to maintain solution.

I don't have a problem with the idea of draw knifing, certainly!

Brad "the butcher";7548078 said:
I like it pitdog, what are the spec's?

It's one I drew up a long time ago and someone then made it up as the picture you see. I think the handle was about 5" and the blade about 6" I think ? 3/16" stock !

Pitdog, I'd love to see you make a comparsion of the Tracker to your new Knatchet. The knatchet looks great!

cdnn_2082_11895616
Browning contracted TOPS to make this design. I sold mine a LONG time ago.

If they made a "kit" Tracker (just the blade alone preferably without the teeth) in 1095 or some other carbon steel for under a $100 i'd probably buy one just to try it.
As it is i think i'll stick with my Camillus Bk-2.

I made one 6 or 7 months ago for an avid out-doorsman at work, and he absolutly loves it. I made it frrom O1, and it was about my 10th knife. It wasn't all that difficult to make either, it looks more intimidating to make than it actually is.

What do you guys think about this:

twincut6.jpg

A Marttiini Twin Cut. It kinda has the same concept, two different blade angles, 6,3" blade. Unfortunately the price is waay to high (~200 eur) :mad:

attej,
I think a Finnish Leuku would do everything and more for less than 200 Euros. You can differentially sharpen the edge if you need to do fine cutting.

attej,
I think a Finnish Leuku would do everything and more for less than 200 Euros. You can differentially sharpen the edge if you need to do fine cutting.

Yeah, I agree... And Im not even a big fan of choppers to begin with.

The first knife I ever made was a tracker style. I would not do it again even with a few years of experience under my belt now. It was a very difficult grind and although the knife came out pretty good for a first blade it was large and over-designed for the tasks it was designed to perform. I love the look of the knife, but I think that a mid-sized drop point blade would out perform it on many tasks and it would be much each to make. I would definetly go for a simpler knife for survival and bush craft.

Back